The Resurrection in Your Life by Mike…

The Resurrection in Your Life

by Mike McKinley

When Jesus hung on the cross and died for our sins, that was not the end of the story. Jesus rose from the dead and that changed everything. Author Mike McKinley presents the case that because Jesus' resurecction was a historical event, The Resurrection in Your Life walks through the Easter events to Pentecost in Luke-Acts. In ten short chapters, McKinley walks through ten passages which explore the meaning of Christ's resurrection and ascension and the gift of the Spirit.

Mckinely is the pastor of Sterling Park Baptist Church in Virgina. This book grew out of a sermon series he did (143). Each chapter includes a passage from Luke or Acts, a written sermon on the passage, reflection questions and hymn lyrics which explore the theme. McKinley's theology is traditional Baptist and Reformed leaning.

McKinley is a good communicator and I think I would enjoy listening to these as sermons. He makes judicious conclusions based on his text and relates his theme(s) to life. However, I had hoped that he would be more theological reflective on the meaning of the resurrection and its impact on our life, something similar to Eugene Peterson's Living the Resurrection or Practicing the Resurrection. Instead these are pithy sermons based on resurrection (and ascension and Pentecost) accounts. Fine as far as they go, but I wished for something a little more focused and a little deeper. I love that McKinley sees the integral place that the resurrection has for our salvation, I just wish he unfolded it a little more.

This is a three star book for me, but I don't have any real criticism. I think anyone who reads this book will find points where you are challenged. I underlined several sentences in my copy. I appreciate how passionate McKinley is about how we don't have a dead Jesus but a risen Savior. ★ ★ ★

Notice of material connection, I received this book from Cross Focused Reviews and the Good Book Company in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Title: The Resurrection in Your Life
Author: Mike McKinley
Pages: 144
Year: 2015
Publisher: The Good Book Company
Hope. There is a word all human beings can relate to, desire, and most of all deeply need every day. Mike McKinley excels at leading people to simple and profound truths about Jesus and the resurrection. However, that is not the totality of what is shared within the book; there is more. Part of that more is explaining from the Scriptures how the twelve disciples/apostles were radically changed by The Holy Spirit. At the end of each chapter, there are questions for thought and a verse or two from well known hymns.
Whether you aren’t a Christian, a new Christian or one who has been walking with the Lord for a long time this book is for all. The resurrection isn’t the end of our story that we share with others; it is the beginning. We don’t serve a dead god we serve a living, active and sharper than two-edged sword God. For me, I found some new insights that sparked my faith and others that brought that spark to a flame. We can all become too accustomed to doing prayer, study or worship, etc… that we have lost focus on the Person for whom we all will one day call Lord.
Reading the book won’t take a lot of time or it can be used in a small group setting or for your personal devotions. However you utilize the book, remember it isn’t for head knowledge but for a heart that desires what God desires for the people He has saved and is coming again to take home.
My rating is 4 stars.
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jan 27, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible