The Truth Commission by Susan Juby

The Truth Commission

by Susan Juby

I love it when I pick up a random book from the library and then find it hard to put down. This YA read fell into that category. The first nice surprise was that it was set in Canada. The three main characters were interesting, well-drawn teenagers with a healthy disrespect for consumer society. I liked the quirky art-oriented school they attended, too. ( )
  AJBraithwaite | Aug 14, 2017 |
I *really* liked this one! Funny and charming, yet also unsettling. Normandy Pale has been living in her famous graphic novelist sister's shadow for years, but it's not until her best friends form a Truth Commission that Normandy finally confronts her sister's behavior and how it's affecting her family's lives. I found myself reveling in a lot of the writing, and while the reveal at the end was a bit abrupt, I still very much enjoyed the story. As a bonus, it's written in the format of a creative non-fiction project, which helps with the theme of truth-telling and the unreliability of first-hand accounts.

I plan on suggesting this one to my teen book club! ( )
  kayceel | Dec 6, 2015 |
This is a wonderful book. First, I so enjoyed how it was set up. It is in the form of a narrative told through the perspective of Normandy, who is writing this piece of creative nonfiction as a school project. Second, it is filled with interesting footnotes, illustrations and text messages that make it a unique format. Third, it has a few great story lines throughout, from the accomplishments and failures associated with finding the truth, as well as a sweet love story between friends. Interspersed throughout this book are terms and ideas associated with English and writing, making it educational as well. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Nov 26, 2015 |
Judy at her usual best. Hilarious, innovative, real. ( )
  LoriShwydky | May 22, 2015 |

Open secrets are the heart of gossip -- the obvious things that no one is brave or tactless enough to ask. Except for Normandy Pale and her friends. They are juniors at a high school for artistsl, and have no fear. They are the Truth Commission. Then, one of their truth targets says to Normandy: “If you want to know about the truth, you might want to look a little closer to home.”  This dryly funny, knife-sharp novel, written as "narrative nonfiction" by Normandy herself, features footnotes, illustrations and a combination mystery/love story that will capture readers from the frst page.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:37 -0400)

As a project for her "creative non-fiction module" at a school for the arts, Normandy Pale chronicles the work of the Truth Commission, through which she and her two best friends ask classmates and faculty about various open secrets, while Norm's famous sister reveals some very unsettling truths of her own.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible