Dexter is Dead by Jeff Lindsay

Dexter is Dead (2015)

by Jeff Lindsay

Series: Dexter (8)

To Read (253)

If Dexter is Dead, does that mean alliteration dies with him?

The final instalment of delightfully dismembering Dexter sees the titular protagonist in prison for a crime he didn't commit, which really means the cops aren't trying very hard. His friends and colleagues - the ones that are still alive at least - have abandoned him, his sister Deb thinks he is getting a dose of karma, and Detective Andrews is doing his best to frame him. Good thing he has a brother. And Brian never causes problems in Dexter's life.

As a huge fan of the Dexter novels - the TV series: meh - I have been looking forward to reading the final Dexter adventure for some time. I'd like to say the anticipation set me up for disappointment, but I'm pretty sure it was the series running out of steam. That isn't to say that Dexter is Dead isn't an entertaining read, more than it doesn't hit the normal highs I've enjoyed from the earlier novels in the series. Which means that finishing the adventures of Dexter now (or a book or two ago) was probably a good idea. Dexter's luck finally running out, hammering home some of the central points that many have missed previously (yes, Dexter isn't smart), and finally (spoiler alert.... from the title) killing Dexter, was important for the series.

I'd say this book is mainly for fans of the series who want closure. It is just a pity the end wasn't a highpoint. ( )
  TysonAdams | Jun 20, 2017 |
To be honest I never read the prior 7 novels that came before to this last of Dexter novel. My encounters with Dexter came from the last season of the television show. The TV show was enjoyable in a gruesome, light and funny way. The novel is a crime novel. There is none of the psychopathic dark avenger that was portrayed in the TV show. The book was polite, sedate almost boring, and a tad anti-climatic. The Dexter portrayed in the novel seemed more concerned with food, traffic, and creature comforts than with righting wrongs and living within Harry's code and resisting his dark Companion. Where in the TV show Dexter was an actor and a force of nature, and a prime mover of the plot, the novel presents him as a victim of circumstances. Dexters prime motivation in the novel is survival. The police have victimized Dexter. Dexter's brother Brian appears like a white knight to save Dexter.. In the process of helping Dexter, Brian victimizes Dexter making him the prime target of a Drug lord trying to Brian. Finally to add insult to injury Dexters kids are kidnapped forcing Dexter to respond rather than act. This a Dexter I didn't know. Dexter as prey not predator. Overall the book was mildly enjoyable. I would have liked more reflection on his Dark Passenger. I would have liked Lindsay to have Dexter to confront it. This partially happened in the television show and never happens in the novel. The novel is clearly different from the television show. The parallel universes that make Dexter is Dead different from Dexter the TV show intersect only in that the characters have the same name and live in the same city. The novel is OK, but I really loved the TV show and wished the novel was set in that universe. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 23, 2016 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2016/08/01/my-year-in-reading-cassie-las-july-2016-wrap-up/

I have finally finished the Dexter book series — not to be confused with the once good turned very bad television series — and blessedly it did not end with Dexter running away and becoming a lumberjack. While I found this book to be weaker compared to the other novels (minus that bizarre demons are real one), it was still nice to return to the world of my favorite sardonically sassy serial-killer. ( )
  yrchmonger | Aug 1, 2016 |
This is the final installment of the Dexter series of books. So it shouldn't be a spoiler, this much is made clear from the outset. How it ends is another thing.

This outing finds our friendly neighborhood psychopath in jail for murders he did not commit. His brother, Brian, bails him out, but does so in order to get Dexter's help with some unsavory characters.

Jeff Lindsay is in top form, here. Dexter continues to be his witty self. There is plenty of action (more than usual, if I'm not mistaken), and the action is well done. Lindsay is determined to end the series with a bang.

Literally.

Highly recommended for Dexter fans. ( )
  jpporter | Jul 2, 2016 |
Jeff Lindsay
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
All Good Things Must End
This book is dedicated to the Dex-heads - all the people, all around the world, who made a place in their hearts for My Little Monster, and by doing so, made me feel special for a few years. It would never have happened without you. Thank you

It is also dedicated to three special spirits - Bear, Pookie, and Think - who are my reason for living (and for getting old).

And above all, to Hilary, who is everything to me.
It wasn't supposed to end this way.

After seven national bestsellers and eight seasons as one of the most successful shows on television, New York Times bestselling author Jeff Lindsay bids a thrilling farewell to his uniquely twisted and beloved serial killer, Dexter Morgan. Dexter Is Dead is the definitive conclusion of the character who has become a global icon.

Dexter Morgan has burned the candle at both ends for many years. Blood spatter analyst . . . husband . . . father . . . serial killer. And now, for the first time, his world has truly collapsed. Dexter is arrested on charges of murder. He has lost everything—including his wife, his kids, and the loyalty of his sister. Now completely alone, Dexter faces a murder charge (for a crime . . . ironically . . . he did not actually commit). His only chance for freedom lies with his brother, Brian, who has a dark plan to prove Dexter's innocence. But the stakes are deadly, and the epic showdown that lies in Dexter's path may lead, once and for all, to his demise.
     Jeff Lindsay's trademark devilish wit and cutting satire have never been sharper. Dexter Is Dead marks the end of a beloved series, but is also Dexter's most satisfying and suspenseful outing yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:23 -0400)

"After seven national bestsellers and eight seasons as one of the most successful shows on television, New York Times bestselling author Jeff Lindsay bids a thrilling farewell to his uniquely twisted and beloved serial killer, Dexter Morgan. Dexter Is Dead is the definitive conclusion of the character who has become a global icon. Dexter Morgan has burned the candle at both ends for many years. Blood spatter analyst. husband. father. serial killer. And now, for the first time, his world has truly collapsed. Dexter is arrested on charges of murder. He has lost everything--including his wife, his kids, and the loyalty of his sister. Now completely alone, Dexter faces a murder charge (for a crime, ironically, he did not actually commit). His only chance for freedom lies with his brother, Brian, who has a dark plan to prove Dexter's innocence. But the stakes are deadly, and the epic showdown that lies in Dexter's path may lead, once and for all, to his demise. Jeff Lindsay's trademark devilish wit and cutting satire have never been sharper. Dexter Is Dead marks the end of a beloved series, but is also Dexter's most satisfying and suspenseful outing yet"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,989,940 books! | Top bar: Always visible