Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center

Happiness for Beginners

by Katherine Center

719168,809 (3.98)None

An enjoyable read, perfect for a day on the beach, which is exactly where I read it. Yes, it's a tad predictable but the humor and heart that the author gives her characters elevates it over a typical chick lit book. It's light, yet with some profound life lessons. I thoroughly enjoyed it! ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Love, love, LOVED. I read this in 24 hours. It's a quick read like most "women's fiction", but it's smart and funny and really hopeful. Hiking, dogs, and positive psychology happen to be interests of mine as well and they feature heavily in the book. ( )
  KimMeyer | Sep 9, 2016 |
Hmmm...what to say? The title of this was cute but led me astray. I liked this enough to finish it and think it was sweet but it was not what I expected. Certainly a good read for the beach with a clean cover and nothing racy between the pages. ( )
  whybehave2002 | Aug 26, 2016 |
I love the way Katherine Center tells a story. Her characters are people that inhabit my world; they suffer yet they laugh, too. This is the story of an unlikely romance. Helen sets off on a wilderness-survival course and, to her surprise, finds that her little brother’s friend, who has long had a crush on her, has come along, too. The little brother’s friend, however, isn’t so little any more. Adventure. Disaster. Romance. Fun. ( )
  debnance | May 10, 2015 |
I'll admit right up front that I am a fan of Katherine Center. I think at this point I have read all of her novels. She is a very dependable read. Her characters are fun, usually somewhat quirky and pretty easy for me to identify with.

Happiness for Beginners delivers on all these points. I really enjoyed reading it. The pages flew by for me and it was mostly a very enjoyable read. I will say that I had a bit of a harder time identifying with main character than I have had with her other protagonist of the past. My idea of a nightmare is going on one of those camping expeditions. I have had enough exposure to that kind roughing it that it was a little unrealistic that someone as inexperienced as Helen would have had such a positive experience.

Putting that all aside - it was a good read. Perfect for the plane or the beach! ( )
  alanna1122 | Apr 24, 2015 |

"A year after getting divorced, Helen Carpenter, thirty-two, lets her annoying, ten years younger brother talk her into signing up for a wilderness survival course. It's supposed to be a chance for her to pull herself together again, but when she discovers that her brother's even-more-annoying best friend is also coming on the trip, she can't imagine how it will be anything other than a disaster. Thus begins the strangest adventure of Helen's well-behaved life: three weeks in the remotest wilderness of a mountain range in Wyoming where she will survive mosquito infestations, a surprise summer blizzard, and a group of sorority girls. Yet, despite everything, the vast wilderness has a way of making Helen's own little life seem bigger, too. And, somehow the people who annoy her the most start teaching her the very things she needs to learn. Like how to stand up for herself. And how being scared can make you brave. And how sometimes you just have to get really, really lost before you can even have a hope of being found. "--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,564,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible