Nantucket Five-spot: A Henry Kennis Mystery…

Nantucket Five-spot: A Henry Kennis Mystery (Henry Kennis Mysteries)

by Steven Axelrod

123768,668 (4)None

Nantucket Five-Spot: Henry Kennis Mystery by Steven Axelrod is a well-built mystery and has you rooting right away for the poetry writing Chief of Police on Nantucket. He has a failed marriage, two wonderful children with opposite personalities and is very appreciative of the island’s scenery and history. I haven’t read the other books in this series but this book works well as a standalone and I have been charmed by Hank Ennis, the chief. I may go back and read the rest of the series. The reason that I chose this book to read was of Nantucket in the title. I spent a whole long wonderful day there and would love to return.

Zeke Beaumont is the evil doer and planner for what happens. We learn about his past and over time see how people are connected with his illegal drug business. This man wants revenge for something that happened in his past and unfortunately he has a great memory. He is a manipulator and picks up information and stores it away in his brain until a use for it becomes apparent. I thought that the author is very good at developing the character of both the good and bad. The pacing seems a little slow at the beginning but picks up as the story proceeds.

There is a lot of action in the windup and a super exciting ending with the Boston Pops Orchestra and an old flame of Hank Ennis, both beautiful and smart, Homeland Security and a complicated plot for revenge. I preferred the characters to the plot in this mystery.

I received an Advance Nantucket Five Spot by Steven Axelrod in exchange for a fair review from the Partners in Crime but that in no way influenced my thoughts or feelings in my review. ( )
  Carolee888 | Mar 20, 2015 |
Nantucket Five Spot is the second in a series of books by Steven Axelrod and is about a mystery surrounding Nantucket during tourist season. Henry Kennis is Police Chief of this small community who must solve the 'terrorist bombing'. There are people being framed for this crime and it is up to Henry to figure out what has happened. The only thing is, The Department of Homeland Security gets involved and Henry is stymied in his investigation by a gung ho agent. Along with solving the crime, Henry hopes to rekindle a romance between him and Franny Tate, another agent in the DHS. I found it interesting that the title refers to the $50 bills that the rich tourists love leaving for the 'help'.

In this character driven and atmospheric setting, the author does a great job of keeping the narrative and plot flowing. I love a good mystery, especially one that keeps me turning the pages, so I recommend this book! I look forward to reading the next in the series! ( )
  celticlady53 | Mar 17, 2015 |
Terrorism and bombings hit the small resort town of Nantucket and it is police chief Henry Kennis's job to ferret out what is going on. Homeland Security is brought into town reconnecting him with a woman (he likes) and a man (he doesn't like) that he has worked with in the past. There is always more that meets the eye in the mystery full of possible suspects. The events culminate at a holiday weekend celebration where numerous dignitaries are attending and have their lives put at risk. Well constructed and methodical - worth reading. ( )
  muddyboy | Jan 22, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 146420344X, Paperback)

Henry Kennis, Nantucket island’s poetry-writing police chief who will remind readers of Robert B. Parker’s Jesse Stone and Spenser, works a second challenging case in Nantucket Five-spot. At the height of the summer tourist season, a threat to bomb the annual Boston Pops Concert could destroy the island’s economy, along with its cachet as a safe, if mostly summer-time, haven for America’s ruling class. The threat of terrorism brings The Department of Homeland Security to the island, along with prospects for a rekindled love affair—Henry’s lost love works for the DHS now. The “terrorism” aspects of the attack prove to be a red herring. The truth lies much closer to home. At first suspicion falls on local carpenter Billy Delavane, but Henry investigates the case and proves that Billy is being framed. Then it turns out that Henry’s new suspect is also being framed—for the bizarre and almost undetectable crime of framing someone else. Every piece of evidence works three ways in the investigation of a crime rooted in betrayed friendship, in˜ delity, and the quiet poisonous feuds of small town life. Henry traces the origin of the attacks back almost twenty years and uncovers an obsessive revenge conspiracy that he must unravel—now alone, discredited and on the run—before further disaster strikes.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:36 -0400)

Henry Kennis, Nantucket island's poetry-writing police chief works a second challenging case. At the height of the summer tourist season, a threat to bomb the annual Boston Pops Concert could destroy the island's economy, along with its cachet as a safe, if mostly summer-time, haven for America's ruling class. The threat of terrorism brings The Department of Homeland Security to the island, along with prospects for a rekindled love affair - Henry's lost love works for the DHS now. The "terrorism" aspects of the attack prove to be a red herring. The truth lies much closer to home.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,519,549 books! | Top bar: Always visible