Amber Smoke by Kristin Cast

Amber Smoke

by Kristin Cast

Amber Smoke is my first time reading this author; thus, I went in with no preconceived notions on what was to come. The blurb seemed interesting so I wanted to give it a try. This novel is a mix of suspense, murder mystery, action, mild humor, detective, Greek mythology, heroic fantasy and NA romance told in third person omniscient point of view.

It begins in Tartarus with the Furies. An authentic tale similar to the classic ones told of gods and heroes is given to set the reason behind everything in the series. Although, I believe it to be as good as any of the myths through history, this starting bit is my least favorite part.

Most of the storyline takes place in the real world. Many characters and sequences come together in this first installment of The Escaped series. Eva is a college student who lives with her single mother. They are very close. She and her best friend are spoiled, but they aren't bad girls. Alek is on a quest to find Eva. Not being from this realm, he has no understanding of many things which provides some light comedy. Murders have been happening. Detectives are trying to solve these cases. During some of the scenes, I was so nervous I was leaning on the edge of my seat inhaling the words. At one point, I was reading late at night in the dark and got the creeps so badly that I had to get up and turn on the light.

The writing is fantastic. The plot sucked me and left me yearning for the next installment. I recommend this story for readers who like YA fantasy but want something more mature. I really want the next book. Now.

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2015/06/amber-smoke-by-kristin-c... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Amber Smoke by Kristin Cast is the first book in the Escaped series. The Furies (Maiden, Crone, and Mother—the phases of women) lived in Tartarus. They are the jailers who keep the evil (those who threatened to end humanity) contained. But then the Maiden fell in love with Galen Argyris (he gave up his soul for his son). Their true love (which was forbidden) has cast a curse over Tartarus (infected it) and prisoners have escaped. Maiden goes to Hera for help. Hera gives the Maiden a son, Alek who will be a warrior. He need to bring back the prisoners that have escaped. Alek will need to work with Eva. Eva Kostas is a descendant of Pythia (first Oracle of Delphi). The two need to work together to end the darkness/curse. But first Alek needs to find Eva before the hunter does. Can Eva and Alek complete their mission and save Tartarus?

I found Amber Smoke to be juvenile, flat, and cheesy (especially the romance between Alek and Eva). The characters did not feel real (they were not developed or fleshed out). They never came alive for me. The dialogue is stilted and awkward. I’m afraid I found the novel to be silly and just not for me. It sounded like a good book, but I just did not enjoy the final product (I finished it though). One scene that seemed especially ridiculous was when Eva and Alek find each other. They have people chasing them and they need to move quickly (run), but they stop to share a kiss (they are about to be captured). I found myself laughing. I give Amber Smoke 2 out of 5 stars (did not like but good idea). The worst part is the novel ends with a cliffhanger. Normally, these would ensure I read the next book. But in the case of this series, I will not be reading Scarlet Rain.

I received a complimentary copy of Amber Smoke from NetGalley in exchange for an honest evaluation of the novel. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Aug 10, 2016 |
Amber Smoke is a great start to a guilty pleasure New Adult series. It combines Greek mythology with crime, swapping focus between Alek (Mr. Hotstuff Immortal Greek Warrior), Eva and a pair of cops trying to solve the mystery of a dead girl. In true NA form, there is a hint of steaminess, though not too much or too explicit. The focus is more on everyone running to or away from each other. It is a relatively quick read and sets the series up for more monsters to come. Read this if you: a) enjoy crime shows like CSI, b) like mythology (I always have) and c) don’t mind some literally fated romance.

This was just a summary review. For my full review, go to my blog: http://wp.me/p67C4M-25. ( )
  dani_reviews | Jul 22, 2016 |
DNF at 11%.

I began to have severe doubts when a Grecian mythological figure's diaphanous robes were described as "see-through."

I gave up after the random body-shame, and during the scene where the modern family is salivating over the Jimmy Choos.

AltheaAnn | May 3, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,923,137 books! | Top bar: Always visible