After Abel and Other Stories by Michal…

After Abel and Other Stories

by Michal Lemberger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not usually a short story fan since I like my stories with a little more heft. But this collection did a nice job depicting the stories of Biblical women, all too often marginalized and forgotten (as the author points out, aside from Ruth, women are never the focus of a New Testament story, and often are depicted as bitter rivals in a polygynous marriage). The emphasis is off of faith and more onto the historical and social realities of the times, which makes for interesting reading, and all the women are distinct voices. Worth a read. ( )
  corglacier7 | Aug 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I don't usually go for short stories. Just not my normal genre.

But I find myself constantly fascinated by the role of women in the Bible. Such a rich and important history that has been glossed over and hidden in the corner for eons.

This well written and entertaining collection of short stories is a window into what that world might have been like, and it grabbed me very quickly.

Well done. ( )
  MaryJensen | Jun 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
After Abel and other stories by Michal Lemerger was a book that I thought I would like based on advance praise I read. I'm sorry to say that after several attempts to read this I was unable to finish it.

When I read a book based on biblical stories I don't expect to see some of the language that was used in at least one story. As I could not bring myself to read the entire book, I can't say if it is only one story or more.

The story of Lot's Wife doesn't mention God, and was totally different from what the Bible teaches.

I only rate this book one star, because I have to rate it. It is not one that I would recommend to anyone.

I received a free copy from Library Thing in exchange for my honest review, rather it be good or bad. Thank you. ( )
  kykim | Apr 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am so surprised that I loved these stories. Each chapter takes a verse that mentions a woman's name and the author invents a story that might fit into the larger picture. It gave me a better idea of how the woman of the bible might have lived. I want to share this with my rabbi so that we can talk about it and maybe use it for our temple book club. ( )
  terrylynn | Apr 20, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this to be a refreshing, far less dry look at some of the women of the Bible, some of whom I didn't recall or had forgotten, being a nonreligous person and over a decade removed from serious church attendance. Some turns of phrase were a bit strange to me; one man is described as not having muscles that pop off his arms, the literal imagery of which was so distracting that I had to set the book down for the rest of the day. Through no fault of the author's, there was a chapter I had to skip entirely due to my own absurd connotations to a certain name (a name I will not name here), though the rest of the book was, at worst, competently well-written. It grates on me in a way I can't fully articulate to see such strong, interesting women still referred to in the context of how they relate to men (a fault of the times, the source material, and not the author's), but Michal gave these women pages of depth and voice where the Bible gave some not even a name, and I commend her for that. All in all, it's a solid, short read, at times beautiful and poignant, at others unrelatable yet interesting all the same (which, for me, would be Eve's story, not being anything remotely near a mother).

Disclaimer: I received this book through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. This has in no way influenced my review. ( )
  readstolive | Apr 19, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michal Lemberger's book After Abel and Other Stories was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,077,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible