Marry, Kiss, Kill by Anne Flett-Giordano

Marry, Kiss, Kill

by Anne Flett-Giordano

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Anne Flett-Giordano serves up a romp through Santa Barbara’s glitterati with enough plot turns to keep the reader’s head on a swivel. A fun and imperfect protagonist, Nora MacIntire, with her long-suffering but witty sidekick, Tony, try to sort out a sudden spate of seemingly unconnected murders. The writing’s sharp, and the action races ahead, however improbably. Flett-Giordano’s chops as a TV screenwriter are obvious, as she keeps the action moving and chapters brief.

My only real complaint was the number of Hollywood insider references. While they were clever, the device seemed overused. A reader who’s a bit pop-culture-challenged is left feeling like the awkward kid at the party who’s pretending to think all the popular kid’s jokes are funny.

That aside, the book was fun and witty, and never boring. Serious literature it’s not, but it may well be the best beach read I came across this year. ( )
  LNDuff | Nov 2, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a fast funny read. A great book to take to the beach and enjoy as you can put it down and pick it back up and still enjoy the twists and turns the story takes the reader. There are many points of this story that do not seem to be connected and I wondered if I was reading a story of many stories within each other. The author has the ability to bring her characters to life in smart, funny, enjoyable, and exciting ways. I look forward to more from Anne Flett-Giordano. ( )
  johntgriffin | Oct 10, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was not what I expected. Instead I found a really funny mystery with a strong female lead character who was not silly. The characters are real and the story/mystery is easy to follow.

I want to read more from this author! ( )
  LeHack | Sep 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Sometimes I want a nice, gory, serial killer.
Sometimes I wasn't something a bit lighter.
This book definitely falls in the second category.
Not to say this is a stupid story or a silly story, because it most certainly is not. No, it is a clever book, with some very appealing, smart characters and a good story line.
And just enough humor. Too much is not a good thing but here it comes across more as what detectives need to get along when facing some grim sights.

One issue.
Nola MacIntire gets just a little annoying with her self doubts about her appearance, weight, age etc. Especially when it is clear she has little to worry about. Pleace lighten up on this is the future Ms. Flett-Giordano ( )
  caitemaire | Sep 11, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought this was a fun read! To me, some of the writing seemed forced and unpolished. With that being said though, I thought it was a really fun concept and found myself enjoying the book as a way to wind down after a long day. The characters and dialogue lacked a little depth, but overall I thought it was an entertaining read and would try another book by Anne if she continued to write and publish. Perhaps next time Anne will create a less cliche (but equally sassy- love that!) main character- now that would draw me in! Thanks Anne, for sharing this with us. ( )
  Candice_oxo | Sep 4, 2015 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Anne Flett-Giordano's book Marry, Kiss, Kill was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,983,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible