Altar of Reality by Mara Valderran

Altar of Reality

by Mara Valderran

631,268,033 (3.33)None

There were things I liked about this book and things I didn't. I loved the front cover which caught my attention as soon as I saw it, and I enjoyed the movement between the two realities. I also thought Madeline was a strong female protagonist, however I did not like the brothers, in either world, and the love triangle annoyed me. Thomas and Brandon were both patronising in their own way. For me, the characters in the 'alternate' world were more interesting and better developed, but I still can't say for sure which was the real world. While the premise of "Altar of Reality" was good I felt that the book finished leaving the reader hanging and overall it ended up being just another fairly mediocre YA novel. I won't be bothering with the sequels. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
ALTAR OF REALITY was a fun read. It was very easy to follow along to and the world was interesting and engaging.

Madeline has seizures and when they happen she finds herself in an alternate world where everyone she knows is, but they have all led a very different life. I connected with Madeline's struggle to keep each world where it belonged. It's hard to see someone you love acting like a totally different person in one world then have to face them in the other. She had a hard time with that and I could totally see where her struggles were coming from.

I wasn't crazy about the whole love triangle aspect of ALTAR OF REALITY. It was awkward and I didn't think she fit with either brother. Then enters a third love interest. She seemed to like him, but I'm not sure it was genuine on his end. I don't have a huge draw to any of them.

I look forward to seeing what Madeline will do next, she has a lot of inner conflict to deal with. She has a big heart, but I don't know if that big heart will get her in trouble or lead her towards where she should be.

* This book was provided free of charge from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Apr 17, 2015 |
What I Thought:

I loved this book! From page one, we were thrown straight into the action - swapping between the lives of our main character, wondering if she was cracking or if there was truly a lot more to her story.

This book gives a condition of our world a definition and understanding that we could never come to believe. We read a long as Madeline swaps between the two worlds more and more often, and trying to keep them separate is no longer the least of her worries.

I thought that the storyline and pace of this book were fab. They moved swiftly enough that we kept swept up in the action, and even find ourselves wishing we could help keep Madeline's lives apart.

I liked the characters in the book, as they seemed their age, but also had the weight of so much more on their shoulders. I felt this showed with their personalities and the way they took things. I also liked that the characters had differences in the two worlds, differences that reflected the events that took place in each world.

I really enjoyed this book and would highly recommend it to anyone who loves YA dystopians. ( )
  naturalbri | Jan 28, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,929,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible