Clade by James Bradley

This is a book about how climate change will affect the future of the world. It starts out in Antarctica where Adam is studying the effects of climate change and quickly moves to Australia when his first child is born. After that it quickly moves to England where his now grown daughter and her son stay with him through an apocalyptic storm. The book jumped around a lot to the major characters but once I was able to get everyone figured out, I felt like it was a good way to keep the story moving. It was an interesting look at what could happen to the world if global warming continues.

Thanks to the author for a copy of the book to read and review. All opinions are my own.
  susan0316 | Dec 9, 2017 |
** I received a free advance copy in exchange for this unbiased review **

This book was a pleasant read. The open ends are many, including the biggest open end of all, [spoiler redacted]! But that's how life is, and I don't begrudge the author the style used here. The chapters are much like individual short stories, that just happen to all take place within the same universe, with members of the same family. There wasn't a ton in here that made me say "wow," but it was almost all fairly enjoyable--thus the three stars. Probably especially enjoyable if you're more concerned about climate change than the average person. ( )
  MisterMelon | Dec 7, 2017 |
I welcomed the fact that Bradley had written a book with climate change featuring in it but although I agreed with his postulation of dramatic changes to our lives and could totally sympathise with Adam’s frustration at people doing nothing about it, I felt that Bradley pushed his vision of a calamitous world at the expense of his characterisation which seemed flat, almost perfunctory to me at times. This is partly because of his jumps in time corresponding to jumps in point of view. In his novel ‘The Resurrectionist’ he made a large jump in time too – and I felt it had the same diminishing effect.

I also felt he tried to pack too much into this – not just the effects of climate change which I think he didn’t make cataclysmic enough – people just kept on with their lives and careers – but he brought in other ideas too such as autism, illegal immigration, ex-terrestrial life and virtual humans to name some of them. In brief, it was a book of ideas which needed the human element in order to engage the reader. To me it was all a little simplistic, especially in its hopeful ending. Climate change will lead to such social upheaval as a result of crop failure and subsequent starvation that conflict will finish us off if nothing else does before that. Bradley suggesting it’s not an end but a beginning gives false hope and sentimentalises an ending that should have had more impact. ( )
  evening | Apr 26, 2016 |

On a beach in Antarctica, scientists Adam Leith marks the passage of the summer solstice. Back in Sydney his partner Elllie waits for the results of her latest round of IVF treatment. That result, when it comes, will change both their lives and propel them into a future neither could have predicted. In a collapsing England Adam will battle to survive an apocalyptic storm. Against a backdrop of growing civil unrest at home, Ellie will discover a strange affinity with beekeeping. In the aftermath of a pandemic, a young man finds solace in building virtual recreations of the dead. And new connections will be formed from the most unlikely beginnings.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,542,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible