Fearless by Elliott James

Fearless

by Elliott James

This is the third book in the Pax Arcana series and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The crew from the first book gets to shine as do some new characters. The only downside to this book is the need to have the background from the earlier books in the series.

I liked the kitsune, one of the few mythological creatures I recognized straightaway. The introduction of Japanese mythology helped keep me on my toes since I'm less familiar with it, except for the kitsune. Fortunately John Charming let the reader know right away about each creature and its abilities. The author played fair; it was mentioned in earlier books that Charming had spent time in that part of the world and knew about it.

I love that Sig is more than capable of taking care of herself. She's a nice strong female character who is a major part of the story. Even John acknowledges that she has abilities he doesn't.

I think my favorite line out of the book was this one "She said that when you die, the angels won’t ask why you weren’t Moses or Gandhi or Martin Luther King or Mother Teresa. The only thing the angels are going to ask is why you weren’t yourself." Do read the footnotes; there is one that made me grin.

Urban fantasy fans definitely should try this series. Harry Dresden fans, in particular, will like it, I suspect. ( )
  Jean_Sexton | Dec 30, 2016 |
We didn't see much of most of these characters except John in the second book in the series, and it's good to have them back. Sig and her friends would have been completely capable of carrying a series before John hit the scene. The whole cast is interesting and most are quite thoroughly developed. I only say most because there are one or two who are more sidekick than lead material. It's refreshing that the action is not all about John.

But when it is about John, it is of course brilliant. John has lived a long time and studied his field well. This series draws from a wide variety of mythology and folklore, and John's explanations pull readers into the world easily. He's also just the right sort of wiseass to anchor this kind of the series, but he is an adult. He's a living contradiction: werewolf and Knight, loaner and pack animal. But in his way, he has his act together. I eagerly await the next in the series. ( )
  Unreachableshelf | Feb 12, 2016 |
John Charming helps nineteen-year-old college student, Kevin Kichida, from being preyed upon by a magical killer.

I love John’s intelligence and humor. He is a walking supernatural encyclopedia. He had me giggling throughout the entire book, even at the most inappropriate times. He is a great hero whom I cannot get enough of.

I also enjoy Sig. She is strong and brave. I find it amusing that she carries a SIG Sauer. She has great chemistry with John; they complement each other.

The imagery was amazing, especially in Dreamtime and the video game. Elliott James does a great job describing every detail throughout this series.

I like how the book organized. First off, I thought it was cleaver that he wrote the prologue/recap in screenplay style. It often takes me a while to remember what happened in previous books, and this was a nice way to get up to speed. I also
thought the chapter titles were clever.

The plot was interesting and rich with information. There were a number of appealing twists. I liked how various mythologies are integrated throughout the story. I enjoy the Pax Arcana and look forward to continuing reading the series.

Complimentary copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Aug 16, 2015 |
John Charming is a Prince, trained by the Knights Templar to kill supernatural beings…well until he turned into one. As a werewolf and a Knight, John is a type of abomination. However, John still upholds the Pax Arcana with a strange group of other supernatural beings. Right now, John and the group are trying to figure out who unleashed a bunch of supernatural horror on 19-year-old Kevin Kichada and why. The attacks on Kevin are strange, but obviously someone wants to kill him. John and the team delve into the realm of underground supernatural fighting to find the thing trying to kill Kevin. Of course, the only way to stop this thing will be ridiculously dangerous, even for a werewolf Knight.

I didn't quite know what I was getting into with this book, especially since it was the third in a series. It can be read as a standalone; however, I think I would have preferred to read the first two books beforehand so I could be a little more filled in. I was thrown into a world with many supernatural beings and a team protecting the world from any harmful supernatural beings. All of the characters were interesting, quirky and well developed. It did take me a little while to figure out all of their relationships to each other. John was pretty awesome, I liked that he was a walking contradiction as well as his sarcastic but helpful attitude. I loved that so many different supernatural beings and creatures were introduced to me in this book, I enjoy the legend of the each uisge and was glad that it was the first creature introduced. I also really liked the underground fighting circle, there were some awesome fight scenes and it was a great way to meet a lot of different characters and see their powers in action. Overall, a charming a funny urban fantasy, supernatural romp. ( )
  Mishker | Aug 7, 2015 |

When your last name is Charming, rescuing virgins comes with the territory -- even when the virgin in question is a nineteen-year-old college boy.

Someone, somewhere, has declared war on Kevin Kichida, and that someone has a long list of magical predators on their rolodex. The good news is that Kevin lives in a town where Ted Cahill is the new sheriff and old ally of John Charming.

The attacks on Kevin seem to be a pattern, and the more John and his new team follow that thread, the deeper they find themselves in a maze of supernatural threats, family secrets, and age-old betrayals. The more John learns, the more convinced he becomes that Kevin Kichida isn't just a victim, he's a sacrifice waiting to happen. And that thread John's following? It's really a fuse...

FEARLESS is the third novel in an urban fantasy series which gives a new twist to the Prince Charming tale. The first two novels are Charming & Daring.

Short Fiction in the Pax Arcana world:
Charmed I'm Sure
Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls
Pushing Luck
Surreal Estate
Dog-Gone
Bulls Rush In
Talking Dirty

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:15:41 -0400)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,136,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible