Writing All Wrongs by Ellery Adams

Writing All Wrongs

by Ellery Adams

Olivia Limoges and her new husband Sawyer Rawlings, chief of police in Oyster Bay (NC), are on their honeymoon on Palmetto Island. It’s not all alone time because their friends from the Bayside Book Writers’ group are going to be there for the Coastal Carolina Festival featuring the author Silas Black. But when Silas’s long-time girlfriend is murdered, the group takes to action to help the overworked local police find the killer. But it’s not really just a murder they have to solve, it’s a whole string of crimes that seem to be mimicking some legends common to the area – about pirates and a ghost-like deer.

I’ve read the first three books in this series, but skipped a few to get to this latest one, #7. Now I wish I had read them in order, as the jump to having Olivia and Rawlings married was a little too abrupt for me – along with some other changes that happened in books 4-6 that I won’t go into.

As always in this series, the solution of the mystery/mysteries is never straightforward – there are lots of secrets to be uncovered along the way and the Bayside Book Writers have the perfect combination of skills to be successful investigators. And having the police chief in their group certainly doesn’t hurt!

I really like this series and now count it as one of my favorites. Writing All Wrongs is a wonderful addition. ( )
  NewsieQ | Nov 9, 2016 |
Olivia Limoes and Sawyer Rawlings have decided to spend part of their honeymoon at the Legends of Coastal Carolina Festival. The rest of the members of the Bayside Book Writers Club join them and they enjoy most of the festival. Their enjoyment, however, is shattered by a murder and the subsequent arrest of one of Olivia's friends, Emmett Billinger. While the evidence against Emmett doesn't look good, Olivia is convinced he is innocent and, not trusting the local police, sets out to clear his name and find the real killer.

“Writing All Wrongs” is the nicely done seventh book and Ellery Adams’ Books by the Bay cozy mystery series (this book can certainly be read on its own but I advise reading the series in order because of Adams’ rich character development throughout the series). Adams has done an excellent job in this book of creating the events on Palmetto Island, including a wonderful sense of atmosphere done so well that I felt like I was there with the Bayside Book Writers Club going on nature walks, roasting marshmallows, listening to ghost stories, decorating golf carts, etc. Adams takes her time letting the murder mystery unfold, seductively pulling the reader in until they are totally involved with the island, the people there, and the story. Once it occurs, the murder is well plotted with plenty of twists and turns and tension, especially towards the end of the book. All of this has up to a nice, rich mystery by a talented author.

“Writing All Wrongs” is another nice cozy mystery by Ellery Adams. ( )
  drebbles | Mar 31, 2016 |
Ellery Adams' Books by the Bay series has long been one of my favorites for the plots, the three-dimensional characters, the local history, the mouth-watering food, and the insights into a writing group each book has provided.

In Writing All Wrongs, Olivia and Rawlings have a problem or two to iron out in their brand-new marriage, and Olivia has another chance to come to terms with her biological father. Adams once again does a superb job in showcasing the history of the North Carolina coast. (It's certainly rich enough to fuel hundreds of crime fiction plots.) There's also a spine-chilling sense of dread throughout the scene involving the opening of a bookstore.

I have to admit that there were a couple of things I missed. The Bayside Book Writers were primarily sleuths in this book, and I did miss their meetings. I've found it fascinating to learn what can go on in groups like this-- from developing an idea to writing a book to actually getting it published. Scarcely any mention was made of Olivia's new book, although to be honest, the woman didn't have time to pick up a pen let alone do any writing. Another thing missed? I've come to look forward to descriptions of mouth-watering meals in this series, and they were scarcely to be found here.

The suspect list is a long one in Writing All Wrongs, the plot threads are many, and everything was concluded in a bit of a rush at the end. It felt a bit perfunctory, as if this book could very well have been the last. Fortunately I know that it isn't. Although this particular book may have a few little flaws, it is very enjoyable, and I still give this entire series my strongest recommendation. ( )
1 vote cathyskye | Dec 31, 2015 |
Writing All Wrongs by Ellery Adams is the seventh Books by the Bay mystery. Olivia Limoges and Chief Rawlings are newlyweds and are going on their delayed honeymoon. They are heading over to Palmetto Island to enjoy a couple of days by themselves (well, Captain Haviland is joining them) before the Legends of Coastal Carolina Festival. They will be joined by the Bayside Book Writers. Silas Black will be the headliner of the weekend. He will also be the cause of the controversy. The weekend is off to a great start until a white deer is injured by an arrow. Then a burning boat gets destroyed by the pirate ships (not part of the show), and then a woman ends up dead. Who is behind these incidents? Were they also behind the murder?

Writing All Wrongs was just delightful. While it is a part of a series, it can easily be read alone. We get to revisit Olivia, Chief Rawlings, and the Bayside Book Writers group. The location of Palmetto Island sounded just gorgeous. I would love to visit this island. It sounds like it is rich in history (I am a history buff). The mystery was interesting and provided some twists along the way (though I did solve it). I give Writing All Wrongs 4.5 out of 5 stars (because I was able to solve the mystery). Writing All Wrongs had a good mystery, history, beautiful locales, ghost stories, and great, interesting characters. You cannot go wrong reading Writing All Wrongs.

I received a complimentary copy of Writing All Wrongs from the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote Kris_Anderson | Nov 3, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 042527084X, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times bestselling author of Lethal Letters returns to the North Carolina Coast, where aspiring novelist and amateur sleuth Olivia Limoges discovers crime doesn’t take a vacation…

After Olivia and Chief Rawlings enjoy an all too brief honeymoon on Palmetto Island, they’re joined by the rest of the Bayside Book Writers for the Coastal Carolina Crime Festival. The festival’s highlight is Silas Black, celebrity screenwriter and television producer, who is currently working on a popular television show in North Carolina.

As the festival gets under way, a prankster seems to be bringing famous local ghost stories to life. But when the body of a woman close to Black is found on the beach, Olivia and her friends must deduce who on the island could resort to murder—before the sands of time run out for someone else…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:07 -0400)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,093,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible