Ghost of a Potion by Heather Blake

Ghost of a Potion

by Heather Blake

Heather Blake/Heather Webber has a talent for writing mysteries that manage to overcome their cuteness and offer the reader a little something more. The back story for this series is beyond cheesy and cute, but the mysteries themselves are full of humour and fun, with enough depth that you don't feel like you've wasted your time.

I picked up Ghost of a Potion from the TBR because it takes place during Halloween and Carly is trying to hide for the three days that ghosts walk about after a bad experience with a evil intentioned ghost years ago. But this year she can't avoid them and she's running around trying to tie up the loose ends for three ghosts so they can pass on. One of the ghosts was murdered and the secrets that come out in the course of finding his killer won't leave anybody in her small town completely untouched.

The plot was well crafted, the murderer a surprise and heart-breaking. The plot twist at the end was pretty awesome, as was the way Carly handled it. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next. ( )
  murderbydeath | Nov 15, 2016 |
Ghost of a Potion by Heather Blake is the third book in A Magic Potion Mystery series. Carly Bell Hartwell is getting ready for her yearly hibernation (starts at midnight on Halloween and ends at 11:49 p.m. on All Souls Day). Halloween starts the next day and Carly stays inside her home to avoid ghosts (the ones that have not passed over). Carly had experienced a bad ghost seven years previously and has not been able to deal with them since then. That evening Carly is attending an event at the Ezekiel Mansion (they will own the house if the lost heir does not claim it by January 1). It was just restored by the Harpies—The Hitching Post Restoration and Preservation Society (what did you think I meant). Carly’s mother is trying to get her husband into the society (to keep him busy and out of her hair). Carly will be attending with her on-again-off again (currently on) boyfriend, Dylan Jackson (who is also an officer with the Hitching Post Police Department).

The evening does not start out well. Patricia Davis Jackson, Dylan’s mother, does not like Carly and hits Carly with a few zingers as a greeting (and tries to ruin her beautiful dress). A little while later they hear screaming. Patricia is standing over Haywood Dodd with a candlestick in her hand. Haywood is dead. Haywood was going to make a big announcement at 10 p.m. and he would not give anyone a hint. Patricia, of course, is the main suspect which means Dylan is not allowed to investigate the case. As for Carly, she saw the one thing she wanted to avoid—a ghost! Haywood Dodd’s ghost noticed Carly and followed her home (she ran the whole way). Carly has no choice but to help Haywood. Carly sets out to solve the murder with help from Dylan (and friends). It looks like Carly is not going to get to hibernate this year. She might even pick up a few more ghosts along the way that she will have to assist (much to her Cousin Delia’s delight).

Who wanted Haywood Dodd dead? What was Haywood’s big announcement and did it have anything to do with his death? You will just have to read Ghost of a Potion to find out. Ghost of a Potion is a hilarious book. Hitching Post, Alabama is a charming small town (with a lot going on). Ghost of a Potion has unique, quirky characters and a mystery that will leave you guessing (it is a windy path to the killer). I give Ghost of a Potion 5 out of 5 stars. Ghost of a Potion has humor, romance, magic, and a good mystery. The perfect ingredients for a delightful cozy mystery. While Ghost of a Potion is a part of a series, it can be read alone. However, I think you will want to read the whole series. I cannot wait for the next book in A Magic Potion Mystery series.

I received a complimentary copy of Ghost of a Potion from the author (I won a copy on Facebook) in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 8, 2015 |
I have read and loved all of Heather Blake's books. She just amazes me with each and every book she writes. I enjoy all the locations and characters that her books provide. This one had me from the first chapter.
The small town of Hitching Post, Alabama is a wonderful town that anyone could call home. The characters living in this small town are so real and fun they feel like they could be your neighbors.
This book starts out with Carly trying to go into hiding because of Halloween and All Saints Day until the day after at midnight. She knows if she comes across a ghost between now and then she has to help he or she cross over or they will be stuck in their graves till the next year. Of course Carly's mama is having no part of this and wants her to go to the Harpie's party at Ezechial Mansion to support her father's bid to get into the elusive Harpie's. So we all know Carly and she ends up going with Dylan. She never wants to disappoint her mama not that her mama would ever let her.LOL Little does anyone at this party know that it will end in murder. Haywood is the victim and unfortunately for Carly the ghost that she has to help. Who would want to kill Haywood???
To really put a cramp in her hibernating plan Patricia is standing over Haywood with the murder weapon in her hand. Let's just say that there are a lot of emotions that fly when you have Carly and Patricia in the same geographical area. Yikes! So not only does Carly have to help poor Haywood she has to help Patricia because she is under arrest. Talk about a hot situation.
I loved all the mystery and different revelations that occurred in this book. I couldn't put it down because of all the twists and turns and secrets that were flying around town. I am telling you that you will not see them coming and will enjoy the magical adventure that only Heather Blake can write. ( )
  Penny_Burns_Marks | Oct 7, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451416325, Mass Market Paperback)

In the latest from the bestselling author of One Potion in the Grave, it’s Halloween in Hitching Post, Alabama, and potion shop owner Carly Bell Hartwell has an especially spooky customer to handle…

With all the ghosts that haunt her at this time of year, Carly doesn’t exactly rush to celebrate Halloween.  Even a costume ball organized by her boyfriend Dylan's mother, Patricia Davis Jackson, holds little allure.  But to please Dylan, who wants peace between the two women, Carly reluctantly agrees to go.

Gossip around town is that architect Haywood Dodd plans to make a big announcement at the party. But before he can address the crowd, he’s found dead with Patricia standing over him, holding the murder weapon. Anxious to clear Patricia’s name and perhaps broker a truce with her, Carly would love to use her snooping skills to find the real killer. Only she has bigger problems to deal with—ghosts are flocking to her for help, including a very persistent Haywood Dodd…

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 17 Jul 2015 22:10:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,901,675 books! | Top bar: Always visible