Scrapbook Of The Dead by Mollie Cox Bryan

Scrapbook Of The Dead

by Mollie Cox Bryan

205515,329 (4)None

I was looking for a fun Halloween cozy and found this book. It couldn’t have worked out better. It appears I’ve bumped into these characters before. It was on a cruise ship, and yes, there was a murder for these good people to solve.

Now, we’re back on dry land in Cumberland Creek and there’s been yet another murder. There’s a human popsicle in the walk-in freezer at Pamela’s Pie Palace. And not long after, the murder victim’s sister is found next to the creek, dead of an apparent drowning. And both victims had a page from a scrapbook clutched in their hands. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

I had such fun sleuthing with this gang again. The characters ages ranged from young to senior and they kept me laughing and flipping pages to find out who the surprise villain was.

Yep, I was kept guessing as to who the bad guy was.

I’d have loved to have been a fly on the wall when these scrapbook fiends gathered together, pasting and cutting. The gossip flies and the clues emerge.

It’s the countdown to All Hallows Eve and everyone is looking at each other with suspicion. Spooky times in Cumberland Creek.

I hope you give this book and series a read. I sure had fun and plan to continue reading more about these crafty characters. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 2, 2016 |
An interesting story full of believable characters.
Not a fan of scrapbooking, but those of you that are this is for you. ( )
  Welsh_eileen2 | Jan 23, 2016 |
In Scrapbook of the Dead, the body of a young Mexican immigrant is found in the freezer of a local pie shop. Oddly, a scrapbook page is found in her hand. A scrapbooking group begins investigating and soon another young woman is killed. Are gangs involved? Or is the employment agency that brings in the young immigrants involved? The members of the scrapbooking group each has their own problems, too. Not having read previous stories in this series, the characters' lives were at times confusing, but overall works as a stand-alone. ( )
  aztwinmom | Oct 2, 2015 |
Scrapbook of the Dead by Mollie Cox Bryan is the fifth book in A Cumberland Creek Mystery series. Annie Chamovitz is a freelance reporter working on her last story as a freelance reporter in Cumberland Creek, Virginia. Randy Swanson found a dead body in the freezer of Pamela’s Pie Palace owned by Pamela Kraft. The young woman is Marina Martelino. She was found with a scrapbook page in her hand. Marina worked at Pamela’s Pie Palace as a baker. The next day her sister, Esmerelda is found dead. She also had a scrapbook page in her hand. Who wanted these two women (sisters) dead and why?

Both girls are from Mexico. The two women came to America through an agency as do many of Pamela’s kitchen employees. Annie, DeeAnn, Sheila, Vera, Cookie, Karen and the scrapbook group set out to solve the crime. Annie is surprised to find out that there is a large Mexican population in Cumberland Creek. She has not noticed it before this case (it’s a small town. How could she not notice? She is a reporter.) Will the scrapbooking group be able to solve the crime before the killer strikes again?

I have read previous books in the series, but this is the first one in over a year. I found it to be very confusing and hard to read. It jumps around from Annie to Sheila to Karen then Vera. It is hard to keep it straight. There are just too many people in the book (you have the main characters as well as their families). I wish just one person like Annie was the main character and a couple of side people or friends. The scenes changed quickly which added to the confusion. One minute you are with Annie and then Karen and then someone else. There is too much going on in the book. Besides the murder, we have Annie doing her last story, Karen dating someone that the group does not like or approve of, scrapbooking (I liked this part), Sheila’s not happy with her job, DeeAnn’s back injury and pill addiction, Cookie’s amnesia, and Emma Drummond agoraphobia. I just think that too much was packed into one story (because there are too many characters). I did like the scrapbooking and card making tips as well as information on digital scrapbooking. Overall, the book does have a lovely setting (Cumberland Creek, Virginia), interesting characters (just too many), and an interesting murder mystery. The author provides some twists along the way to solving the murder. I liked that the mystery was more complicated and not easy to solve. I give Scrapbook of the Dead 3.75 out of 5 stars.

I received a complimentary copy of Scrapbook of the Dead from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 2, 2015 |
This was the first in this series that I have had the pleasure of reading. I loved this book and couldn't put it down. I plan on reading the rest in this series.
The story starts out fast and keeps pace till the end. I really liked how the author gave you an insight into each character and their lives. I have always loved scrapbooking and this book has it all with Halloween a few weeks away the Cumberland Creek scrapbooking group is in high gear. Annie is an investigative reporter for the town of Cumberland Creek and she and her friends love to scrapbook. She finds herself investigating not one but two murders within 24 hours of each other. With the help of all of her scrapbooking buddies they all end up trying to figure out what is going on and how two deaths can occur in their small town.
There are a lot of different things going on with each of the characters in this book. First you have Annie who is trying to figure out if she is going to stay with her job or quit. You have DeeAnn who owns a bakery in town and is a very independent person who ends up hurting her back. This sends her family into a tailspin of emotions. Then of course you have the newlyweds, Jon and Bea. They are adorable and are trying to get their lives as a couple worked out and everything seems to be falling apart for the town.
Will this be Annie's last story? What will become of the small town of Cumberland Creek after two people are found dead? Will the scrapbookers be able to find out the truth before someone else gets hurt???
If you want a cozy mystery that has adventure, mystery,and a lot of great scrapbooking tips you will want to read this book.
I received an ARC from NetGalley.com in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Penny_Burns_Marks | Sep 9, 2015 |

Mollie Cox Bryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,050,708 books! | Top bar: Always visible