Dangerously Dark by Colette London

Dangerously Dark by Colette London is the second book in A Chocolate Whisperer Mystery series. Hayden Mundy Moore is a freelance chocolate expert. She helps companies improve their products. Thanks to an inheritance, Hayden can pick only jobs that appeal to her. Hayden is heading to Portland, Oregon for an engagement party weekend for an old, college friend, Carissa. Hayden arrives in Portland and goes to Cartorama where Carissa has a cart called Churn PDX. Every food cart specializes in chocolate. Carissa opens her food cart and they find the dead body of her fiancé, Declan Murphy.

The police declare Declan’s death an accident. Hayden does not believe it is an accident and decides to poke around a little. She is still running on a high from solving the mystery at her last assignment. Carissa (who does not seem very upset over her fiancé’s death) also asks Hayden to take over Declan’s Chocolate After Dark tour. It is already been scheduled and publicized (I think Carissa has an ulterior motive). Hayden agrees to run the tour since it will give her more time to poke around. Her friend and security expert, Danny Jamieson shows up to help out (and try and convince Hayden to leave Portland). Will Hayden find out that Declan was killed? Who would want to kill him and why?

I found Dangerously Dark to be a silly novel with a very simple mystery. I was really hoping the second book in the series would be significantly better than the first (it is actually worse). Hayden does not really solve the mystery. They seem to solve themselves. Hayden is more focused on guys (especially Travis, her finance manager) than the mystery. I have no idea why she is friends with Carissa who was more concerned over making connections than the death of her fiancé. I give Dangerously Dark 2.75 out of 5 stars. I do not think I will be reading any more books in this series. I just cannot take the idiocy.

I received a complimentary copy of Dangerously Dark from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 15, 2015 |
Chocolate whisperer Hayden Mundy Moore is making her way up the West Coast with a visit to Portland, to celebrate a college friend’s engagement. Portland’s well known for a diverse crowd and the Cartorama set-up, with various foods and characters, made for a great setting for the murder. There were many twists that kept me guessing as to who may be responsible for the death. My quibble with poor Hayden is why she hadn't kept in better touch with college friend Carissa. She sure didn’t really seem like the type of old friend you’d bother going out of your way for, engagement or not. Really a great second book for the series. London managed to expand on all the good parts of the first book and temper back some of the unnecessary. Can't wait for Hayden's next adventure. ( )
  ethel55 | Oct 2, 2015 |

Chocolate-whisperer Hayden Mundy Moore has just arrived in Portland, Oregon, where she's about to scarf souffles and sip cacao-based cocktails at her friend's engagement party. Fresh from nabbing her first candy-covered killer, the last thing Hayden wants to do is mix her love of chocolate with criminal mischief again.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,361,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible