Fillet Of Murder by Linda Reilly

Fillet Of Murder

by Linda Reilly

What a great debut for this new series. The main character, Talia, has moved home to Wrensdale after having enough of both a sub par boyfriend and job. Wrensdale, in the Berkshires, is a tourist town, and has a collection of shops reminiscent of an English village. She returns to her high school job at Lambert's Fish &Chips, owner Bea Lambert in need of help with her husband recovering from knee surgery. An empty store front and the idea of a comic book store moving in has one owner, Phil Turnball, up in arms, circulating petitions to stop the move. This reads as easily as a long established series, nothing seems forced, and the descriptions and actions of the characters moved seamlessly throughout the story. I will look forward to Talia's next story! ( )
  ethel55 | Jun 5, 2015 |
Fillet of Murder is the first book in the A Deep Fried Mystery series. And a very enjoyable series it looks to be.

Talia Marby has returned to her hometown after breaking up with her fiance, Chet Matthews. While she is looking for another job in real estate, she has decided to take a temporary job at Lambert's Fish & Chips, where she had worked when she was in high school.

Lambert's is located in an area known as Wrensdale Arcade, built to resemble an English village. One of the store owners, Phil Turnball who owns the Classic Radiance store, is trying to get the other store owner to sign a petition to ban the opening of a comic book store. Bea Lambert does not want to sign and is beginning to lose her patience with Phil and finally orders him out of restaurant. Soon she utters some words that she will wish she had not said: “Fire up the deep fry, Talia. I'm going to boil Phil Turnbull in oil”. The next morning Talia is going to stop by and talk with Turnbull, when she arrives, a little bit before opening time, she notices a light is on in the back room and the door is unlocked. She enters the store calling out Turnball's name and when she enters his office finds him on the floor, dead, with a knife sticking out of his neck. The knife has residue of fish on it, so naturally Bea becomes the prime suspect. But as begins to look into the past of Turnball she finds other suspects that would have liked to seen him out of the picture.

The book has a wonderful group of shop owners: Suzi Sato runs a bath and body store, Jill Follansbee owns a tea shop, Jim Jepson, former Geometry teacher, has a pottery store and others. They all share a little information about their stores in the book. Bea is an enjoyable character too and her character meshes with Talia, so that they seem like a mother and daughter. Talia also enjoys experimenting with fried foods and shares a recipe for Deep Fried Pickle Spears. ( )
  FredYoder | May 7, 2015 |
This new series had me at Deep Fried! I had been looking forward to reading since I had first heard about it. It was worth the wait.

In this first book in the Deep Fried Mystery series, author Linda Reilly has created a delightful cast of characters, as well as an enchanting setting. I knew even before finishing the first chapter of FILLET OF MURDER I was going to love this book . . . and I did!

I immensely enjoyed the relationship between lead character Talia Marby and her friend, and owner of Lambert’s Fish & Chips, Bea Lambert. They really played well off each other and have a wonderful mother/daughter vibe. As for the fish & chips restaurant, I have no doubt that would be my hangout. I could smell the incredible scents of fried food while reading, and more than once heard my stomach growling. Speaking of growling tums, Ms. Reilly has included a couple of tasty recipes to use as side dishes for your next fish & chips (or any other) dinner!

This mystery had a wonderful plot and was extremely well written. There were enough red herrings (or in this case, haddock) to keep my guessing until the surprising reveal. I did not see it coming. Well done Ms. Reilly!

FILLET OF MURDER is one of the most delicious introductions to a new series (first books) I have read so far this year and has secured a spot in my top five favorites! If you’re looking for a new cozy series to whet your appetite for mystery, FILLET OF MURDER is the perfect choice! ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Apr 18, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425274136, Mass Market Paperback)

FIRST IN A NEW SERIES!

Talia Marby serves up delectable English deep fried fare in the heart of the Berkshires—but she soon discovers there’s something fishy going on…

Sometimes in this life, you have to fish or cut bait. After walking away from a miserable job and an even worse boyfriend, Talia Marby has no regrets. She’s returned to her hometown and is happy to help her dear friend Bea Lambert by working at Lambert’s Fish & Chips, a cornerstone of a charming shopping plaza designed to resemble an old English village.

But not all the shop owners are charming. Phil Turnbull has been pestering Bea to sign a petition against a new store opening up, and his constant badgering is enough to make her want to boil him in oil. When Talia and Bea stumble upon Turnbull murdered in his shop, the police suspect Bea. Now it’s up to Talia to fish around for clues and hook the real killer before her friend has to trade serving food for serving time…

Includes delicious recipes!

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 14 Apr 2015 01:16:46 -0400)

"Talia Marby serves up delectable English deep fried fare in the heart of the Berkshires--but she soon discovers there's something fishy going on...Sometimes in this life, you have to fish or cut bait. After walking away from a miserable job and an even worse boyfriend, Talia Marby has no regrets. She's returned to her hometown and is happy to help her dear friend Bea Lambert by working at Lambert's Fish & Chips, a cornerstone of a charming shopping plaza designed to resemble an old English village. But not all the shop owners are charming. Phil Turnbull has been pestering Bea to sign a petition against a new store opening up, and his constant badgering is enough to make her want to boil him in oil. When Talia and Bea stumble upon Turnbull murdered in his shop, the police suspect Bea. Now it's up to Talia to fish around for clues and hook the real killer before her friend has to trade serving food for serving time"--Page [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,421,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible