Look Both Ways by Carol J. Perry
333338,203 (4)1

Look Both Ways is the first book that I have read by Perry, and despite being the third book in Perry's Witch City series I was able to follow it very well. I don't think that you needed to read previous books in the series to enjoy this one although I do plan on going back and catching up on them. Lee decides to purchase a bureau from a local store that looks like one that she had as a child never imagining the adventure she would go on because of it. When the shop owner is killed shortly after Lee's purchase, Lee finds herself embroiled in the present murder mystery as well as the mystery of who murdered the bureau's previous owner.

Perry does a great job at intermixing both magic and mystery in her series, and I really enjoyed the paranormal mixed in with the ordinary. I loved how down to earth Lee was and the book does explore this side of her with her doing ordinary tasks like picking out furniture for her new home, getting a new job for the summer, and working on her new relationship with Pete. It was the relationships that Lee shares with her aunt, Pete, her friend River, her boss, and even her cat that helped define and develop the character. I always enjoy when a book has a great cast of secondary characters that help make the story more interesting. I also enjoyed how the paranormal was worked in with Lee's scryer talent. Look Both Ways had enough twists and turns to keep the reader guessing while also keeping the reader's attention from beginning to end. Overall Look Both Ways was a great read that I would most definitely recommend if you like the mix of magic and mystery. I look forward to reading Lee's next adventure.

Received a copy of Look Both Ways through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Sable677 | May 20, 2016 |
Look Both Ways by Carol J. Perry is the third book in Witch City Mystery series. Lee Barrett is working on furnishing her new apartment which is on the top floor of her Aunt Ibby’s home (where she grew up). It is summer time which means she has extra time on her hands. Lee teaches TV Production 101 at Tabitha Trumbull Academy of the Arts (aka Tabby). To keep herself busy, Lee has agreed to locate the props needed to the plays being performed at the school that summer.

Lee and her Aunt Ibby (Isobel Russell) see a snippet on television about an antiques dealer, Shea Tolliver who has a dresser with hidden compartments. The dresser is identical to one Lee had as a child that burned in a fire. Lee rushes over to purchase the dresser. It previously belonged to Helena Trent who was murdered over six years previously. When Lee goes back to Tolliver's Antiques and Uniques to look for more items for her apartment, she finds Shea Tolliver dead in the store.

Lee sets out to find out who killed Shea Tolliver. Does it have anything to do with the dresser she purchased and Helena's missing pink diamond necklace (worth a pretty penny)? Will Lee’s newly discovered scrying talent help in solving this puzzle?

I enjoyed reading Look Both Ways. It is a fun, paranormal mystery novel. While this is the third book in the series, you can read it without having enjoyed the first two books (though you should read them). I give Look Both Ways 4.25 out of 5 stars. I like the characters in the novel as well as the town of Salem, Massachusetts (which I bet is a great town to live in during Halloween). I am hoping that Lee will embrace her talents more fully in the next book. One thing I did not enjoy was the addition of dream interpretation and Feng shui. I did not feel it helped or enhanced the story. The book already contains witchcraft, tarot reading, and scrying. Overall, Look Both Ways is a magical book that is a delight to read!

I received a complimentary copy of Look Both Ways from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Oct 28, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book. It is the first book I have read in this series. I will definitely be reading the first two books in the series. I was able to get lost in this book right from the start. The nice thing about this book is you can read it as a stand alone and not be lost. The author does a fantastic job of catching you up on the characters throughout the book. I enjoyed how descriptive the author was about the great town of Salem and it's history. This book starts out with Lee watching shopping Salem and seeing a bureau that looks exactly like the one she had growing up. It was destroyed in the fire that almost claimed the life of her and her Aunt Ibby. Lee went right down to Tolliver's Antiques and Unique Shop owned by Shea Tolliver's. Shea showed her the bureau and Lee instantly knew it was the same as hers as a child. It even had the six secret compartments and found out that only three were ever made. Shea tells her the history of the piece and that it came from the house of a murder. This instantly peaks Lee's interest and she continues to tell her it was owned by Helena Trent.
Once Lee has the bureau delivered the next day she ends up going back to the shop to look at more items only to find Shea dead on the floor behind the register. She is in shock and calls 911. Peter shows up who happens to be Lee's boyfriend and lead detective for Salem. After she goes home she asks her Aunt Ibby about Helena's murder and as a librarian she finds different articles for Lee to go through.it is really a sad story how her first husband died and then she married a man who only wanted her money. O'Ryan her cat decides he will help and starts going through the articles too and ends up putting his paw on one about the missing pink diamond.
Shortly after the bureau shows up she begins to have visions in different items. What will these visions tell her? Who is the person in the visions and what will she do with them? She can't tell her boyfriend Pete because she thinks he will think she is crazy. She confides in her friends and her Aunt Ibby but begins to do some digging on her own. Will Pete be able to keep her safe? Will she be able to keep her scryer secret from Pete?
These visions bring Lee into a mystery and adventure that will lead her finding new friends, betrayal, fraud, and a killer looking to keep his or her secret no matter the cost. Does this bureau hold secrets or just fond memories from a childhood long past?
I enjoyed this storyline from the start and can't wait to get my hands on the first two books in the series. This book had me not wanting to stop reading and on the edge of my seat. It is a well written, fast paced cozy full of mystery and intrigue.
I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a great cozy mystery. ( )
  Penny_Burns_Marks | Oct 16, 2015 |

In Salem, Massachusetts, there are secret everywhere--even in the furniture. . .

When Lee Barrett spots the same style oak bureau she once had as a child on the WICH-TV show, Shopping Salem, she rushes to the antiques shop and buys the piece. Just like the beloved bureau she lost in a fire, this one has secret compartments. It also comes with an intriguing history--it was purchased in an estate sale from a home where a famous local murder took place.

The day after the bureau is delivered, Lee returns to the antiques shop and finds the owner dead. The police suspect the shop owner's unscrupulous business partner, but Lee wonders if the murder is connected to her new furniture. At least part of the answer may be revealed through a mirror in the bureau, tarnished and blackened, allowing Lee to tap into her psychic visions. Using this bureau of investigation, Lee may be able to furnish her policeman beau with the evidence needed to catch the killer--before the next one to be shut up is her. . .

On the WICH-TV show, Shopping Salem, Lee Barrett spots the same style oak bureau she once had as a child. She rushes to the antiques shop and buys the piece. Just like the beloved bureau she lost in a fire, this one has secret compartments. It also comes with an intriguing history--it was purchased in an estate sale from a home where a famous local murder took place. The day after the bureau is delivered, Lee returns to the antiques shop and finds the owner dead. The police suspect the shop owner's unscrupulous business partner, but Lee wonders if the murder is connected to her new furniture. At least part of the answer may be revealed through a mirror in the bureau, tarnished and blackened, allowing Lee to tap into her psychic visions. Using this bureau of investigation, Lee may be able to furnish her policeman beau with the evidence needed to catch the killer--before the next one to be shut up is her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible