Olive And Let Die by Susannah Hardy

Olive And Let Die

by Susannah Hardy

Even though I haven’t read the first book in this series, that didn’t stop me from enjoying this book. The author sprinkled bits of previous events throughout so I quickly got clued in.

Georgie has so many eggs in her basket. She lives with her soon to be ex-mother-in-law, Sophie. What will happen after the divorce is final? Will she have to move?

And her romance with sexy Captain Jack Conway is taking off. What will happen if her mother-in-law finds out?

A sticky situation, as Sophie took her in when her mother took off and Georgie wants to buy the restaurant.

Then the humdinger. Famous soap opera star Melanie Ashley visits the restaurant. It doesn’t take long for Georgie to figure out Melanie is her mother, last seen riding away on a motorcycle over 20 years ago.

Things get crazy when a body is found outside Spiro’s restaurant. His partner, Inky, is suspect number one. Georgie and Spiro may be getting a divorce, but they’re still friends, and she’ll do what it takes to prove Inky innocent.

I thought it was funny that Georgie’s mother was a star on a soap opera. This book felt like one. So much going on. So many people connected to each other by blood or friendship.

Plenty of secrets, suspicions, and misdirection keep you guessing who killed Georgie’s cousin and why.

And a lot of food is mentioned in this book. Georgie manages Bonaparte House, a Greek restaurant. I had to look up some of the dishes and they sound delicious. There are several recipes at the end of the book. I especially want to try Glady’s Banana Bread. I didn’t know you could freeze bananas.

I did it again, started a series somewhere besides the beginning. I’ll be grabbing Feta Attraction now. As I mentioned earlier, you can read this without having read the first book, but why miss all the fun. I need to know how this all began. ( )
  laura-thomas | Feb 2, 2016 |
Olive and Let Die is the second book in the Greek to Me Mystery series. I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Georgie Nikolopatos is manager of the Bonaparte House, a historic landmark and Greek restaurant in upstate New York. She is soon to be divorced and just testing the waters for new romance. She also has a very complicated relationship with her estranged mother who suddenly shows up. The stage is set for a wonderful read. Susannah Hardy’s website describes the series as “Cozy mysteries guaranteed to make you laugh. And guaranteed to make you hungry.” All true.

You can read this as a standalone and thoroughly enjoy the story, but if you haven’t already read Feta Attraction, the first book in the series, do so now! I was about five minutes into Olive and Let Die and realized these were people I wanted to know more about. Susannah Hardy has a gift for developing complex, interesting, likable and sometimes not so likable characters. Feta Attraction gives you the backstory – Georgie and the other characters are even richer when you know what happened before, and the secrets and suspense even more thrilling. I’m glad I went back to catch up.

I liked Georgie from the beginning. She is loyal, sincere, caring, sometimes a little more reckless than she should be, and a bit sad. And funny. Hotdorable and midmorning snack of studmuffin?? Perfect. As are the references to stories, movies, and events that are subtle but make you chuckle if not laugh out loud.

This book has a nice, easy pace but I just could not put it down. The mystery and suspense are believable. I found myself wanting to shout “Watch out!” to Georgie more than once. I had a bad feeling about one of the characters, thinking they might be the killer, which really added to suspense and feeling of danger because I then kind of mistrusted everything they said and did, looking for a hidden motive. The genealogy is complex but presented so it is not confusing and adds needed detail to the story.

Right near the end I thought, oh, I’ve figured it out, great. What a terrific mystery. And then, bam! Nope, I didn’t figure it out after all. What a surprise. But it totally worked. This was a great mystery and a series I will be following from now on. When will the next book be out?

Oh, and the food – it sounded delicious and more than one recipe is on my TBC (to be cooked) list. ( )
  GrandmaCootie | Nov 1, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425271668, Mass Market Paperback)

The second Greek to Me Mystery from the author of Feta Attraction

As manager of the Bonaparte House, a historic landmark and Greek restaurant in upstate New York, Georgie Nikolopatos knows her local legends—and her traditional Greek recipes are to die for.

Between her soon-to-be ex-husband Spiro coming out of the closet and her budding romance with Captain Jack Conway, Georgie’s life is beginning to feel like a soap opera.  And that’s before a surprise visit from her estranged mother Shirley, better known as soap star Melanie Ashley. But the dramatic family reunion takes a chilling turn when another long-lost relative turns up dead.

Just outside Spiro’s new restaurant, Georgie and Melanie find the body of Doreen Webber—a cousin Georgie never knew she had. With Spiro’s partner Inky on the list of suspects, Georgie begins to wonder what else her mother may be hiding. Is the dead-broke diva capable of murder?  She’d better find out before someone adds a new twist to the family plot.

Includes delicious Greek recipes!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:38 -0400)

Between her soon-to-be ex-husband Spiro coming out of the closet and her budding romance with Captain Jack Conway, Georgie's life is beginning to feel like a soap opera. And that's before a surprise visit from her estranged mother Shirley, better known as soap star Melanie Ashley. But the dramatic family reunion takes a chilling turn when another long-lost relative turns up dead. Just outside Spiro's new restaurant, Georgie and Melanie find the body of Doreen Webbera cousin Georgie never knew she had. With Spiro's partner Inky on the list of suspects, Georgie begins to wonder what else her mother may be hiding. Is the dead-broke diva capable of murder? She'd better find out before someone adds a new twist to the family plot.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible