Trick Or Deceit by Shelley Freydont
212495,208 (4)None

In more than plenty of time for Halloween, TRICK OR DECEIT is the perfect book to read for the season. But I bet you won’t last that long before you read this installment of the Celebration Bay Mystery series.

It’s October in Celebration Bay and murder and mischief was not supposed to be on the agenda for event coordinator Liv Montgomery. Well, not the real thing anyway. But that doesn’t stop it from happening.

Halloween is my favorite holiday setting for cozy mysteries. I mean, how perfect, right? And author Shelley Freydont takes full advantage of the holiday to write a delightful mystery that is tricky to figure out and a real treat to devour. TRICK OR DECEIT was a great whodunit with more surprises than candy in a trick or treat bag, and had me second guessing myself right up until the thrilling conclusion.

Don’t be afraid to pick up this Halloween cozy. You’re going to love it! And I look forward to what author Freydont has in store for us next. ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Aug 31, 2015 |
Trick or Deceit is the fourth book in the Celebration Bay Mystery series.

It's always delightful for me to visit with the folks who reside in Celebration Bay.

Liv and Ted are busy getting ready for the annual Halloween Festival.

The stores have all been decorated and about the only thing yet be done is the selection of the first annual Haunted House contest. When the winners and runners-up are announced, the second place winner, Ernie Bolton, is livid. The prize is $10,000 and he desperately needs the money to pay his back real estate taxes. Before he leaves, he accuses the head of the judging committee, Lucille Foster, of having swayed the other judges into voting for the winner, Barry Lindquist. The next morning as Liv and Whiskey are out for their morning run, Liv notices that Lindquist's winning display has been damaged. Crossing the vacant lot next door to access the damage, she comes across the lifeless body of Lucille. Bolton, naturally, becomes a prime suspect, but Liv has her doubts. Where are her designer shoes, where is here car and did her husband really pick her up after award ceremony? So she enlists Ted, her assistant and Chaz, owner of the Celebration Bay Clarion and former investigative reporter to find out who sent Lucille to an early grave.

I really enjoy all the characters in this series. Even Janine Tudor, Liv's nemesis has mellowed on this book. Once again, Dolly Hunicutt, owner of the Apple of My Eye Bakery is back helping Liv and keeping Whiskey happy dog treats and BeBe Ford, owner of the Buttercup Coffee Exchange is back with her lattes and tea for Liv and Ted. The Zimmerman sisters are there to help and provide Liv with the lowdown on the local residents and also to provide Whiskey with love and treats while Liv is off sleuthing. Chaz, good ol' Chaz. Liv and Chaze still seem to be dancing about as to possibly starting to date. But with Jonathon Preston in town, and someone Liv knew from her days in New York City, Chaz might have some competition. And Ted, Liv's assistant, seems to know what is going on in town practically before anyone else does and is a very valuable assistant to Liv. In addition, I love the time he spends with Whiskey teaching him songs to “arrroo” to.

Definitely will be watching for the next book in the series. ( )
  FredYoder | Aug 28, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,064,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible