Death Of A Chocolate Cheater by Penny Pike

Death Of A Chocolate Cheater

by Penny Pike

Anyone who knows me knows I love chocolate. So how was I going to pass up a cozy mystery that has chocolate in the title? I didn’t. Especially not when that book was the second installment of the Food Festival Mystery series!

Author Penny Pike has a wonderful style of writing. Her books read as though the words flow effortlessly from her fingers. She has a great talent for penning exciting and fun mysteries. With DEATH OF A CHOCOLATE CHEATER there were times that I held my breath, and others where I literally laughed out loud. Lines like . . . I reached into the container and helped myself. Taking a tentative bite, I let the sweet morsel dissolve on my tongue. The flavor flooded my mouth. Wow. Chocolate crack. . . Seriously, I went from drooling over what protagonist, Darcy was eating, to snorting with laughter over “chocolate crack”.

The characters in this series are an absolutely delightful mix of personalities. The way they interact makes you want to be part of their inner circle. I look forward to seeing them even more fleshed out in future stories.

The mystery in DEATH OF A CHOCOLATE CHEATER had so many facets. Much more going on than you would expect. Ms. Pike took me on a twisting, turning thrill ride that lasted all the way to our destination . . . the exciting reveal! To paraphrase character Darcy, “Wow. Book crack.” I am officially addicted to this fantastically tasty series.

Author Pike has also included half a dozen tempting recipes at the back of the book, as well as a sneak peek of book 3, DEATH OF A BAD APPLE! ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Jun 1, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451467825, Mass Market Paperback)

Food truck vendor Darcy Burnett unwraps a murder at the San Francisco Chocolate Festival in this mystery from the author of Death of a Crabby Cook

At this year’s chocolate festival, Darcy and her Aunt Abby hope to win the $10,000 prize in the chocolate contest with Aunt Abby’s taste sensation: the chocolate raspberry whoopee pie. A little friendly competition from Darcy’s sometime-beau Jake Miller, who plans to enter with his chocolate cream puff delight, only sweetens the deal. But things get sticky when one of the judges, Polly Montgomery, is taken out of commission—permanently.

The suspects include every contestant with reason to believe Polly wasn’t too sweet on their sweets, including Aunt Abby’s high school friend. Now Darcy must pick through an assortment of secrets to catch a killer before someone else gets a bittersweet finish.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 10 Jul 2015 21:43:54 -0400)

"At this year's chocolate festival, Darcy and her Aunt Abby hope to win the $10,000 prize in the chocolate contest with Aunt Abby's taste sensation: the chocolate raspberry whoopee pie. A little friendly competition from Darcy's sometime-beau Jake Miller, who plans to enter with his chocolate cream puff delight, only sweetens the deal. But things get sticky when one of the judges, Polly Montgomery, is taken out of commission--permanently. The suspects include every contestant with reason to believe Polly wasn't too sweet on their sweets, including Aunt Abby's high school friend. Now Darcy must pick through an assortment of secrets to catch a killer before someone else gets a bittersweet finish" --… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,436,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible