The Dirt on Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones

The Dirt on Ninth Grave

by Darynda Jones

I absolutely loved this. It was so frustrating to see that Charley didn't have her memory and thus couldn't be her awesome self, but I have to say Darynda Jones did a remarkable job with this. First, because Charlie's amnesia was just something that happened and you almost didn't think about it. Second, the tone of the book and all of those funny moments were there, so we really did get our Charlie plus the gang was all there. That last chapter killed. So sad. Can't wait to start the next one! ( )
  msralways | Apr 20, 2017 |
This is the ninth book in the Charley Davidson series and it was a very good book in this series. I continue to enjoy this series a lot; it is humorous and highly entertaining. Right now there are eleven books in this series. There are spoilers ahead for those who haven’t read previous books.

I listened to this on audiobook and King does an awesome job narrating this series. I would highly recommend listening to this on audiobook if you enjoy audiobooks.

Janie (formerly Charley) is working at the Firelight diner as a server. She has no memory of the time before she woke up in that alley. However, she does notice some strange things...like how she can see ghosts and stop time. Then there is her fellow waitress Cookie, who was instantly an awesome friend to Janie….and those three brooding handsome men who stop by for meals three times a day.

It was fun and heart-breaking to see Janie try to rebuild her life from scratch. I love watching her unravel the mysteries surrounding her. As with previous books there is a mystery to be solved in this book, as well as the larger story-arc that continues. Towards the end of the book we learn some truly fascinating things about gods and demons.

This book really drives home how important Charley’s friends, and their support, are to her. They have truly gone out of their way to protect and nurture Charley/Janie while she works through her issues. Getting to watch Janie and Reyes fall in love all over again was also highly entertaining.

I loved where the story ended and can’t wait to find out what happens next. My only complaint about this series is the amount of time spent describing Reyes’ body over and over and over again. I really know what he looks like by now and that he’s supposed to be really hot...enough of that...no more please.

Overall a spectacular addition to the Charley Davidson series. I was a bit nervous about the whole “lost my memory” storyline, but Jones made it work beautifully for this series. I highly recommend this urban fantasy series to those who enjoy light-hearted urban fantasy. ( )
  krau0098 | Apr 12, 2017 |
Dirt on the Ninth Grave by Darynda Jones
Charley Davidson series Book #9
3 Stars

From The Book:
Charley Davidson is living in New York City as Jane Doe, a girl with no memory of who she is or where she came from. So when she begins to realize she can see dead people, she’s more than a bit taken aback. Strangers who enter the diner where she works seem to know things about her…Then she is confronted by a man who claims to have been sent to kill her. Sent by the darkest force in the universe. An enemy that will not stop until she is dead. Thankfully, she has a Rottweiler. And the diner’s devastatingly handsome fry cook, who vows to protect her even though he seems to be lying with every breath he takes. But in the face of such grave danger, who can Jane/Charley/whoever she is trust? She will find the truth even if it kills her…or the fry cook. Either way.

My Thoughts:
The book was okay...actually for me the entire series is just okay. I don't care for Ms. Jones humor most of the time although occasionally she does manage to strike a humorous chord. I love paranormal books but this just isn't particularly one of them that I care for. I needed a paranormal romance for a challenge and it this fit the bill for that. ( )
  Carol420 | Mar 25, 2017 |
Hhmmm. spoiler alert
I liked the snark and all of the lovable characters were present. But the issue with Charlie a.k.a. Janie not having her memory for 99% of the book just doesn't sit well for me. It's almost as if the author wasn't quite sure where to go with the series, so she created this little side jaunt in I Can't Remember My Name World. Really?!? The whole concept of Charlie being the ultimate ghost god having a mental breakdown is just ridiculous and kind of breaks all of the rules of a strong female lead. oh well. The story was still entertaining as Janie bumble through multiple scenes to ultimately save the day. ( )
  SBShepherd | Oct 16, 2016 |
Awesome! Looking forward to June for the next book in this fantastic series! ( )
  HunanMom | Oct 14, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible