Drape Expectations by Karen Rose Smith

Caprice is back at it, supporting her family and friends. This time her friend Ace discovered his fiancée dead so Caprice adopts her cat as well as working to clear Ace of any suspicion in the murder. At the same time, Caprice has to deal with issues in her own life - basically decide which man she wants to be with - Seth or Grant. ( )
  cyderry | Sep 10, 2016 |
The book is too breezy for me, lacking in substance, as an Amazon reviewer points out. I think it unlikely that anyone would build a "Southern Plantation" style house in rural PA where it would clash horribly with venerable Georgian and Federal style neighbors and that if one were built, it would make a designer like Caprice De Luca gag. Ms Smith is tone deaf to the current hot rhetoric against social functions on former plantations. I also wonder what descendent of Quakers or Anabaptists would name a town "Kismet." None, I reckon.

I received a review copy of "Drape Expectations (A Caprice Deluca Mystery Book)" by Karen Rose Smith (Kensington Books) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Aug 22, 2015 |
Drape Expectations is more than a cozy mystery. The family dynamic factors strongly in this book. Our sleuth, Caprice De Luca, is determined to find the killer who murdered her rock star friend Ace Richland's girlfriend, Alanna Goodwin. Since Ace finds the body it's only natural that suspicion surrounds him, but Caprice feels in her heart that her friend could never commit murder. He may have a bad temper and all, but murder? Nah. Besides, it's beginning to look like others in Alanna Goodwin's life had a motive for murder. There's a mysterious child, an alleged affair and even sabotage involved in this murder case. As Caprice skillfully goes about piecing together clues that will ultimately lead her to the culprit, she also makes an addition to her pet family, helps her nana through a health crisis, mends broken family ties involving an estranged family member, and finally chooses which of her two suitors is the right man to spend her life with. There was a very evocative moment where the author did a superb job of conveying the feelings of the characters when Caprice makes a choice between her two men. I loved that scene. All the while we contentedly meet up with Caprice's friends and family members from prior books in the series, watch as her dog Lady and cat Sophia adjust to the new member of their family, Mirabelle, the shy kitty who was left behind when her neglectful owner Alanna was murdered, and wince as Caprice's life is threatened as she unselfishly puts herself in one precarious situation after another to help clear her friend Ace's name.
In conclusion, this cozy mystery is cozy in more ways than one. You will enjoy going along for the ride to find out who killed Alanna Goodwin, but you will also find pleasure in peering into the daily events of an amateur sleuth who loves life, love, her profession, her family and her pets. It's for this reason that Drape Expectations was a major hit with me and I recommend it highly. ( )
  Lauigl | Aug 7, 2015 |
I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a book tour for a fair and honest review and rated it 4.5 out of 5 Stars.

A fun cozy filled with colorful characters, lively dialogue and plenty of suspense, Drape Expectations, the fourth book in the Caprice DeLuca Mystery series by Karen Rose Smith, is the perfect escape for mystery lovers. Set in the fictional town of Kismet, Pennsylvania, Ms. Smith’s “crime solving house stager” finds herself drawn into solving a murder and placing her life in danger. While the fourth book in a series, this is a book which can be enjoyed on its own.

Ms. Smith does an excellent job developing Caprice DeLuca’s character right from the start. While I have not read the previous books in the series (something I’ll be correcting shortly), I was able to connect with Caprice right away. An attractive woman with a quirky sense of style, Caprice uses her knowledge and training in home design to “stage” her client’s homes in order to help them sell. While her business is thriving, and she’s got it mostly under control, Caprice is also trying to deal with some personal issues; a love life that’s definitely heating up a lot quicker than she expected and some family drama involving her uncle. When a former client asks her to take on an additional client and she agrees, she soon finds herself involved in solving a murder, trying to choose between two romantic rivals and trying to stay one step ahead of a killer who suddenly sees her as a threat.

The secondary characters are also well developed and I really enjoyed getting to know Ace Richland, the 80’s rock star who has become her personal friend, Grant Weatherford, her brother’s law partner and one of her romantic interests and Lady and Sophia, her two pets. I also enjoyed getting to meet some of Caprice’s family members and I really liked how everyone she seemed to interact with ended up with either a rescued dog or cat, curtesy of Caprice’s efforts. Even the less than likeable characters, such as Alana Goodwin, Ace’s girlfriend, who later becomes the murder victim.

The mystery of who killed Alana is well developed and there are plenty of twists and turns. There is enough suspense and action to keep you guessing as to who the killer is and why Alana had to die (and I have to admit that I really didn’t mind her dying). The story’s pace is good and I found myself turning the pages quickly to find out what was going to happen next. Especially with the additional emotional angst from Caprice’s love life and the danger she eventually finds herself in. Overall Ms. Smith does an excellent job developing her story and drawing the reader into the world she’s created.

Will Caprice solve the murder before anyone else gets hurt? Will Caprice decide which man she wants in her life forever? You’ll have to read Drape Expectations to find out, I really enjoyed it and look forward to reading Silence of the Lamps when it is released in April 2016. ( )
  MariaD. | Aug 3, 2015 |
I just finished reading Drape Expectations by Karen Rose Smith. It is the fourth book in the Caprice De Luca series. Ace Richland has asked Caprice to do him a favor and stage the home of his girlfriend, Alanna Goodwin. Ace and Alanna are going to move in together. Caprice agrees because Ace is a friend (though she knows Alanna is going to be very difficult). Alanna’s house is very southern and stuffed to the gills. She objects to every change Caprice wants to make to the house. During the open house, Caprice notices that Alanna is off having a discussion with Len Lowery, the keyboard player in Ace’s band. What are those two discussing? It is the second time Caprice has seen them together.

Ace is getting ready to go out on tour, but he is having to replace one of the band members who just quit. Then two of Ace’s best guitars are stolen from his mansion (the locked room). Only someone close to Ace could have gotten into that room and stolen the guitars. Then some original songs are also stolen. It seems like someone is trying to sabotage Ace’s tour. When Caprice goes over to Alanna’s one day, no one answers the door. Since the door is open, Caprice (of course) goes in. She finds Alanna dead. Since, unfortunately, Ace is a prime suspect, Caprice has to investigate to clear his name.

Caprice looks into who stood to inherit Alanna’s vast estate. Alanna’s will divided her estate into three parts. One third went to Alanna’s sister, Twyla Horton. One third goes to charity. The last third of the estate goes to Archer Ford. Archer claims to be the illegitimate son of Alanna’s first husband, Barton. Barton refused to have a DNA test done or to acknowledge Archer. Alanna never felt that it was fair to Archer (there is also a rumor of Alanna having an affair with Archer)! Of course, there are many people that did not like Alanna. She was pleasant in front of Ace, but Alanna could be a viper. Alanna owned a beautiful cat, Mirabelle whom she treated horribly (kept her in a little closet with no food, water, or bed). Since Twyla is allergic to cats, Caprice agrees to take care of her. There is a long list of suspects for Caprice to wade through and figure out who really killed Alanna Goodwin.

Caprice also has to deal with her love interests, Seth Randolph and Grant Weatherford. Seth is a doctor who took a job in another town. Caprice has not seen him since the Valentine’s Day dance. Grant has yet to ask Caprice on a real date, but Caprice has strong feelings for Grant. Grant is finally ready to start dating again when Seth shows up. Caprice needs to make a choice. Who will Caprice pick?

Drape Expectations was an excellent book! I could not put this book down. The author did a great job with the mysteries (the guitars and music as well as Alanna’s murder). I especially loved how Karen Rose Smith handled the murder mystery (she actually made me doubt myself). You will have to be very clever to figure out who killed Alanna Goodwin. I was glad that Caprice finally makes a choice between her two loves interests. Drape Expectations has fun, lovable characters, a fantastic mystery, cute animals, and romance. I give Drape Expectations 5 out of 5 stars. The rating is well deserved for this superbly written book.

I received a complimentary copy of Drape Expectations from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions expressed are my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jul 27, 2015 |

These days, home stager Caprice De Luca's calendar is a full house. Her grandmother's health is failing, her wayward uncle is stirring the pot, and she's torn between two equally eligible suitors. With so much drama in her personal life, Caprice is grateful to have Ace Richland, a former 80s rock star, ask her to stage his girlfriend's house. But Alanna Goodwin is a tough customer who balks at Caprice's ideas and all but commandeers the staging. Caprice almost isn't surprised when the snappish Southern belle is strangled to death with a tieback from her tacky velvet drapes. But just as she draws back the curtains on the truth, Caprice realizes she may be next on a murderer's set list.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible