Death By Coffee by Alex Erickson

I liked this book because it wasn't super intense and I felt like I was moving right along with the main character. Everything except how she took her coffee was logical and realistic which made the book a fun read. However good the storyline the book was quite dry in terms of character development and just didn't paint a good picture of things that seemed like they would become important later on. ( )
  BEGivens | Mar 21, 2018 |
On opening day of Krissy and her partner's coffee shop, one of the customers dies after drinking a coffee from their store. I really didn't like Krissy -- she was pushy, rude and inserted herself into the police investigation all the while moaning on every other page that her business wouldn't survive this tragedy while leaving her partner to run the store. While on a date with the policeman who's investigating, she asks him to take her to the crime scene where the victim died managing to get them both arrested. Unbelievable! ( )
1 vote Kathy89 | Jan 7, 2016 |
I love coffee, I love books, and I love cats, so Death by Coffee, Bookstore Café Mysteries, with a cat on the cover, was bound to appeal to me. The story starts with new-in-town Krissy serving coffee at her newly-opened bookstore. Of course, there’s another café in this small town, so why would people come here? And there’s no promise that anyone will read or buy her books, even the ones written by her father. But Krissy and her friend are determined to make a go of this. Then one of their first customers is apparently poisoned while drinking from one of their cups.

There’s something sadly convincing about the customer who says, “I’ve always wondered why we never had a bookstore in Pine Hills,” then doesn’t buy a book. But things might look up, and Krissy is ever hopeful. Her father was a writer, so she brings a tinge of fame. And if she hasn’t learned much about solving mysteries from him, she’ll just learn on the job.

Told in first person, Death by Coffee creates a convincing picture of a somewhat disorganized, resolute sleuth, wounded by love but not too determined to avoid it in the future, hurt by the world but still eager to find good in it, and well-trained in the arts of asking awkward questions and trawling the internet. It’s a sweet cozy mystery, not too complex, nicely plotted, with a fine collection of side-characters adding color and promise for a series.

Disclosure: I needed a book for a trip and this fit the bill. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Sep 8, 2015 |
Nice cozy. Krissy just may be too annoying and Vicki too perfect to take long term. ( )
  bgknighton | Jul 10, 2015 |
I received a free kindle copy of Death by Coffee by Alex Erickson, published by Kensington Books from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I gave this entertaining cozy mystery five stars. I enjoyed Krissy's attempts to solve what she believes to be a murder. Can she solve it before the killer gets to her?

"'Who'd ever heard of a book club competition? Without having to ask, I knew Rita had been the one to come up with it. No one else would have thought of something so . . . odd.'" ( )
  carolyninjoy | Jun 19, 2015 |
This book was only ok for me. After reading and reading for this ending that they built up to, it ends up being totally anticlimactic. The big culprit in the book is pretty much the person you expect it to be. There is no twist or surprising plot in the least. Not only that but main character Krissy is obnoxious, presumptuous, lazy, irresponsible, inconsiderate, snotty and harassing. The character should have probably been thrown behind bars along with the murderer in fact for all the havoc she wreaked and raised sticking her nose where it didn’t belong and slandering people all about town and breaking in people’s property and trespassing multiple times. Beyond flagrant!

What’s worse is main character Krissy is also beyond judgmental and snotty towards others, mostly to a very nice woman who is a big fan of her book writer Dad. She cops so much attitude at this kind character Rita. As she narrates what’s on her mind, we’re exposed to what flabby disgusting arms Krissy views Rita as having. She goes into descriptive judgmental detail on ugly wrinkles and fat on characters.

What a rude thing to think to yourself when someone is being kind to you. Krissy regards this big fan of her Dad character, Rita, as annoying because of her respect for her Dad and then has the audacity to harass and hound and slander others in trying to solve a case she should not be bothering with and has nothing to do with.

Then she wonders why everyone wants to call the police on her behind. And there was way too much rambling on about the freaking cat and other trivial matters.

I also didn’t care for the way the main character Krissy leaves her daily job and all of her work relatedresponsibilities to her friend poor Vicki left alone all day to tend to a coffee shop.

On a regular basis, Krissy casually leaves in the middle or beginning of her workday or simple doesn’t show up for work at all to play detective about town or laze at home while her friend Vickie is left with all the duties and responsibilities of their business.

The killer was hardly a killer and was only acting in anger over a offense by the one killed. Too much of an annoying main character and too much of an anticlimactic plot line ruined this book for me.
added by tonster1986 | editDeath By Coffee

"When Krissy Hancock and her best friend Vicki decide to open a bookstore cafe in their new town of Pine Hills, they decide to call it 'Death by Coffee, ' after Krissy's father's most famous mystery novel. Little do they know how well the name fits ... On their very first day of business, Brendon Lawyer huffily takes his coffee ... to the grave. It seems he had a severe allergy to peanuts ... but how could there have been nuts in his coffee? And who stole his emergency allergy medication? Fortunately, Krissy's love of puzzles and mysteries leads her not only to Officer Paul Dalton, but also to many of her new neighbors, who aren't terribly upset that the book is closed on Brendon. But one of them is a killer, and Krissy needs to read between the lies if she wants to save her new store--and live to see how this story ends"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,431,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible