The Readaholics and the Falcon Fiasco by…

The Readaholics and the Falcon Fiasco

by Laura DiSilverio

An event planner and a book club called the Readaholics - one of their group members dies and they are determined to prove that it wasn't suicide. Really great start to a new series. Will look for more by author. ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
Not bad; a pretty good first mystery in a new series that centers on Amy-Faye (ugh), an event planner, and her fellow book club members/friends. When one of the members dies unexpectedly and the death is ruled suicide, Amy-Faye and her friends question the validity of the ruling.

I liked the characters, the setting and the mystery. The writing felt natural, as if the author knew what story she was writing, instead of writing to fit someone else's parameters (like a marketing department). I like that Amy-Faye was smart, but didn't think herself so smart she could do better than the police; in fact, she spent quite a lot of time reporting everything to the police. I liked that friendship played a big part in all parts of the story and there was a delightful lack of "evil nemesis".

What I didn't like so much was the ending of the book. It could be a good ending about the strength of friendship, but it could also be a setup for a love triangle, which frankly, would ruin this series for me before it hardly got started. I'm willing to read the second to find out. ( )
  murderbydeath | Oct 13, 2016 |
Excellent cozy mystery where Amy-Faye does not let the ME's verdict of suicide go. She knows her friend was murdered and sets out to prove it.

I like how The Maltese Falcon the book group is reading is wound throughout the story. Maud's critique of it is right on and is what happens in this book. There are lots of red herrings along the way. I did not figure it out until the end when it was explained to me.

I enjoyed these characters and look forward to seeing them again when I read the next book ( )
  Sheila1957 | Mar 17, 2016 |
This is the first book in the Book Club Mystery series. I really enjoyed the book. It is surprisingly strong for it being a first book in a cozy series. Amy-Faye and her book club friends are thrust into a mystery when one of their own is found dead in her home. The police are sure it's suicide, but Amy-Faye and the rest don't believe that for a minute. Amy-Faye does some investigating on her own and discovers hidden affairs, dirty dealings and plain old greed in her friend's final weeks before her death. I found the story moved along at a good pace and the characters are likable and believable. It was a totally enjoyable read. ( )
  Romonko | Mar 12, 2016 |
Very well done! Multiple layers with good character development. ( )
  cfk | Feb 28, 2016 |
For my readers
Thanks for thinking books and reading and literacy and stories are important. I wouldn't be a writer if it wasn't for all of you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451470834, Mass Market Paperback)

Amy-Faye Johnson’s book club, the Readaholics, enjoys guessing whodunit in mysteries like The Maltese Falcon. But when a murder happens in their midst, they discover that solving crimes is harder that reading about them…

Amy-Faye has always loved her idyllic Rocky Mountain town of Heaven, Colorado. Her event-planning business is thriving, her fellow book-obsessed Readaholics are great, and her parents live only a few blocks away. But lately her hometown has felt a little less heavenly. First, she agrees to plan a wedding without realizing the groom is her ex-boyfriend. Then, Ivy, one of her fellow Readaholics, dies suddenly under mysterious circumstances.

The police rule Ivy’s death a suicide by poisoning, but Amy-Faye and the remaining Readaholics suspect foul play. Amy-Faye soon discovers that Ivy was hiding dangerous secrets—and making deadly enemies. Taking a page from her favorite literary sleuths, Amy-Faye is determined to find the real killer and close the book on this case. But finding the truth could spell her own ending…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:38 -0400)

Emulating one of her favorite literary sleuths, event planner Amy-Faye Johnson sets out to find the truth surrounding the death of Ivy, one of her fellow book-obsessed Readaholics, who supposedly committed suicide by poisoning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,331,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible