Heir of the Dog (Black Dog Book 2) by Hailey…

Heir of the Dog (Black Dog Book 2)

by Hailey Edwards

Unfortunately, this is another occasion wherein it will be hard to write anything in this box because I've already continued the series, read the next book, and am currently working on the last book in the series. So.

I did write something as I went along; let me remind myself what got written:
"This is starting to annoy me. So. 72 year old man takes advantage of 18 year old woman. Woman now feels obligated to help keep man alive. Meanwhile feels obligated to pay all her mom's expenses because mom decided to fuck a fae. Yeah, this is annoying me."

Oh, right, that plot point. It comes and goes, this overwhelming need of Thierry's to take on the guilt and burdens of the world and place them upon her own shoulders. Taking upon herself the guilt and responsibility for the actions and consequences that developed when she, an 18 year old, 'slept' with a 72 year old man. The man she first meets when she was 13 and had, accidentally killed all of her best friends. Because she hadn't known she had power of any kind. And accidentally developed a glowing hand. Which her friends touched. And died from. So, this young 13 year old was faced with a father who had abandoned her before she was born, and the knowledge that she just killed her friends. When a super handsome dude showed up. An incubus. Oozing sexual attraction and lure.

Naturally she's to blame when they 'sleep' together 5 years later and 'something' happens to him which will have a deep impact on the rest of his life. Like, needing to feed off of her, and stuff (and only her). Did I mention that he was also her instructor at the Marshall's academy? And purposely used his incubus ooze during the final exam to try to keep her from passing? And almost succeeded? She's the only one that did, by the way. The rest got all caught by the lure, and stuff. He then became her trainer when she became a provisional Marshall. Her partner. Yeah, right, umms, I don't think she should be taking this 'burden' onto herself. The whole Shaw-Thierry link annoys me and vaguely nauseates me. But. *shrugs*

Then there’s the mother. Who, don’t’cha know, fucked a man. Consensually. So obviously it’s Thierry’s burden and fault that she, Thierry I mean, exists. And is alive. And therefore must feel obligated to pay all of her mother’s bills. And support her. Because, you know, she’s obviously guilty of . . . um . . forcing her mother . . to . . um . . have sex . . with a fae and . . um . . give birth to her. Um . . right.

This whole ‘taking the burdens of the world onto her back’ thing annoys the hell out of me.

Well, that must mean I hated the book, right? *looks* Yep, rating it 4.5 stars must mean, wait . . .. heh. I liked the book. All the ‘world building’ that you would expect to find in the first book actually did occur, just not in the first book. The author/someone really needs to go back and make that first story actually be a prequel. Rearrange the numbering. Have book one become 0.5, second book (this one here) become book 1, etc. Each book ends with an afterward about how the author wrote a trilogy and got talked into expanding it with a prequel. That’s nice and all, but she might have shot herself in the foot, so to speak. Because this really is an interesting story here, but the current first book in the series really doesn’t do justice as the entry point for the entire series. ( )
  Lexxi | Oct 21, 2015 |
This series is unique, full of interesting settings and filled with events that leave you wanting more. DOG WITH A BONE introduced us to the characters and the world, HEIR OF THE DOG introduces us to Faerie and digs a little deeper into Thierry's parentage and Fae side.

Thierry's father goes missing and the Fae think she should stand in for him in an event that will decide the new ruler. She wants nothing to do with Faerie, their politics or their problems, but they give her no choice and she finds herself running for her life and hoping she runs into her father along the way. Thierry seriously kicks ass in HEIR OF THE DOG. Not that she had a choice in the matter, but she never gives up. There is plenty of action, plenty of growth and a nice dose of hot guys vying for her attention.

I was not that surprised to hear about what happened with Thierry and Shaw. He is an incubus after all. Rook was pretty interesting. Thierry and him definitely have a romantic connection and their positions will have them coming together again and I'm rooting for them. Unfortunately I have a feeling Thierry, Shaw and Rook will be a love triangle for a while though.

WHY did it have to end there? I NEED to know what happens next. What a twist in Thierry's life HEIR OF THE DOG's events have thrown at her. Book 3, Lie Down With Dogs, has a release date of April 30, 2015 and there is an excerpt already up on the authors website. I am so ready.

* This book was provided free of charge from the author in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  STACYatUFI | Feb 24, 2015 |
Heir of the Dog (Black Dog, #2) by Hailey Edwards

Half-blood Fae-human, Marshal Thierry Thackeray, is approached by the Faerie High Court to help settle a truce between the Seelie and Unseelie Courts.

Hailey Edwards wrote another outstanding novel. I cannot get enough of this series. It is well-written; the attention to detail commendable and imaginative. The descriptions and plot are amazing.

Thierry is a brilliant heroine. She is young and clever; a great trait for a Fae. I like that she was raised a human and continually needs to remind herself of the Fae's deceits. I like that she is noble and follows through with what she believes is best.

I enjoyed the addition of Rook. I really wanted to like him, but I was never certain if he was trustworthy. His character kept the story interesting and unpredictable.

I love the descriptions of the fairy realm. It was easy to visualize the intriguing world. I enjoyed the characters. They are well-developed, fascinating, and believable.

I loved this story. I cannot wait for third book in the series Lie Down with Dogs.

Complimentary copy provided publisher via manicreaders.com in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  dlynch | Jan 30, 2015 |

Hailey Edwards is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,378,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible