Those Girls by Lauren Saft

Those Girls

by Lauren Saft

I'm not usually a contemporary fiction reader, but I decided to read this one and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

(more to come) ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
DNF at 34%. I couldn't get past these girls, the shallowness. I know that was the premise of the book. It wasn't badly written. Just not my thing.

ARC received via NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  Krista_Rainwater | Sep 10, 2016 |
Yikes! One of "those girls" starts off taking Plan B, and obviously not for the first time. This book is full of so much casual sex, drug use, and profanity that this for me qualifies as YA only in the sense that they're all underage.

There's also a ton of slut-shaming and generally unhealthy attitudes toward seed and sexuality that never really get resolved. There are no consequences for the rapey guy. Scratch that: there are really no consequences for anyone, regardless of how badly they behave.

Yet against all my better judgment I did grow to care about the characters to a certain extent. I kindof wish I didn't, so I could write this off as garbage, but it's a little more complicated than that.

Maybe this is like the movie Thirteen and the shock value is kindof the point?

Disclaimer: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
Review and rating to come... This book is categorized wrong. It is definitely NOT YA. ( )
  UANBookAddict | Dec 3, 2015 |
After reading this and other YA books based on female teen drama, I'm becoming more appreciative of the lack of friends I had in high school (specifically girlfriends). All of the drama would have exhausted me to the point of comatose.

I just didn't get the point of this book. I thought this book would show more character development and be similar to a coming of age tale, but it mainly discusses the immorality of teenagers with minimal supervision and lack of long term goals.

The girls are cunning, deceitful, cheaters who treat and talk to their friends in ways I would not even talk to people I didn't like. Mollie and Veronica were just horrible people and while I can appreciate the unscrupulous and shameless character, I didn't see the need for there to be two of them.

I kept waiting for Alex to fully step away from it all and mature, but ultimately she didn't progress much. She seemed so smart and talented (she's in calculus and joins a band!) but little focus is on that. I did enjoy seeing her stepping out of her comfort zone and committing to the band though.

There are parts that disturbed me roofie-ing your "friend" and then brushing over the fact that a teacher was probably molesting her!? and I felt them unnecessary, or at least they could have been handled differently.

In the end, I couldn't handle the demeaning, demoralizing way everyone treated each other nor the total lack of morals presented in this book. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Some girls will always have your back, and some girls can't help but stab you in it.

Junior year, the suburbs of Philadelphia. Alex, Mollie and Veronica are those girls: they're the best of friends and the party girls of the school. But how well does everybody know them--and really, how well do they know one another? Alex is secretly in love with the boy next door and has joined a band--without telling anyone. Mollie suffers from a popular (and possibly sociopathic) boyfriend, as well as a serious mean streak. And Veronica just wants to be loved--literally, figuratively, physically....she's not particular. Will this be the year that bonds them forever....or tears them apart for good?

Lauren Saft masterfully conveys what goes on in the mind of a teenage girl, and her debut novel is raw, honest, hilarious, and thought-provoking, with a healthy dose of heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:47 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,046,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible