Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 4-6 (Oliver and…

Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 4-6 (Oliver and Jumpy, the cat series)

by Werner Stejskal

661,268,033 (4.67)None

With three completely different stories, in three different places in the world Oliver and Jumpy will take your child on fun adventures where they will learn lessons that will benefit them for the rest of their lives. Some lessons are purely educational, like camels are often called “ships of the desert”. Other lessons are life lessons such as learning to be sure to “put your priorities in the right order”. Everything is done in a fun and entertaining way.

The pictures are clear, colourful and sometimes funny. But then, so is our elegant cat Oliver. You’ll also learn the British words for soother and diaper as they are used by Oliver.

Oliver also likes to try his hand at poetry so there is usually a poem or two in each of the stories. Sometimes they work out great, sometimes the metre or rhyme is a bit off.

Young children will love the stories which will stir their imaginations and creativity. I’m sure these stories will spur them to thinking of other things that Oliver and Jumpy might get themselves mixed up in. I would highly recommend Oliver and Jumpy, Stories 4-6. I rated this book 5 stars out of 5.

I purchased this book on Amazon.ca

To see my complete review visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-oliver-and-jump... ( )
  KathrynSvendsen | Jun 7, 2015 |
I have many friends with grandchildren and great-grandchildren and I like to find new and different children's books to recommend. Let me be perfectly clear - I highly recommend the Oliver and Jumpy stories.

Oliver is an elegant tuxedo cat and Jumpy is a kangaroo. They are best friends. Joey is Jumpy's baby kangaroo.

In this, the third book of the series, there are three stories to capture the imagination of young readers. What fascinated me was the detail of the illustrations. They are fantastic. Together the story and illustrations make for a first class read. Youngsters will be captivated by Monkey Island and Fairy Castle.

I've looked at the other books in this series and believe they will be just as highly rated. In fact the introduction, at the time of my writing this review, is free for Kindle. This is the perfect time to introduce Oliver and Jumpy to your little readers. ( )
  AuthorMarion | May 29, 2015 |
Stories 1-3 of Werner Stejskal’s Oliver and Jumpy stories end with the news that Jumpy is carrying a joey in her pouch. Little Joey is already peeking “over the edge of his mummy’s pouch” as story 4 begins. After packing “nappies, which are the most important item, a bottle, a dummy,” and other assorted needs, the friends take a trip to monkey island on the good ship hippopotamus. “Never drink sea water!” is a wise lesson, quickly learned, with nicely expressive illustrations. But children will enjoy pointing out many more details from the pictures as an adult caregiver reads the tale to them.

More explorations take place in story 5, where bats are introduced, with wise advice not to be scared of them. There’s a magical trip to a fairy castle, with nice advice for e-readers to enlarge and check out the details of dancers in a ring. Then comes a magical treasure hunt through Candy Forest to Ice Cream Mountain. With bedtime wishes for “the dream fairy to come to you tonight as well,” readers are bid, “Fairywell!” making this a fine collection to read at bedtime with small children; enjoy.

Disclosure: I was given a free ecopy and I offer my honest review. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | May 1, 2015 |
Review by Author Peter Frederick of the series

Here are books created by Werner Stejskal, an author who has a wonderful sense of adaptability into the world of a child. Movements, sentiments, expressions and ideas are being visualised, that enthral and win over the little reader. Plus, his terminology is perfectly matched to the mood of each self-contained story. The author also displays amazing sensitivity and is able to transport even adults back into long-past childhood. All good virtues are being emphasized, like friendship, loyalty, determination and civility, giving the fascinated reader the right signals for spiritual development. The main characters, Oliver and Jumpy, are the masters of a variety of situations that draw the reader into the stories. But one of the main reasons for the success of these children’s books is the artwork! The graphics, outstandingly created by the artist, have their hues and shapes completely adapted to the respective situation and so contribute to the emotional absorption of each picture. Text and message. sombre feelings and cheery situations are being created and masterly entertain the little readers. One can only recommend this series of children’s books to all adults who wish to keep their little ones occupied in a positive, entertaining and learning environment! ( )
  WernerStejskal | Mar 28, 2015 |
Great stories!

Story 4: Monkey Island. Jumpy is the kangaroo. Oliver is the cat. Together, along with Jumpy's joey, Joey, they embark on a slow trip to Monkey Island, aboard a hippo and when they get there, they encounter some naughty monkeys. Story 5: Fairy Castle. Traveling underground with Molly the mole, Jumpy, Joey and Oliver make their way to Fairy Castle. The fairies celebrated the arrival of the strangers with a dance. Story 6: Treasure Hunt. Finding a treasure map in an secret desk drawer, Oliver, Jumpy and Joey went on another grand adventure. Each story is quaint, engaging, and easy reads for children, whether they are reading the story or being read to. The graphics are remarkable. Both the text and the graphics match and tell the story. Well written and any child will love each of the stories. I like how the stories are told by Oliver's perspective. It's a unique way to share a child's story. ( )
  amyshan | Feb 14, 2015 |

Werner Stejskal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,935,181 books! | Top bar: Always visible