At Wolf Ranch by Jennifer Ryan

More like a 4.5....Really my only criticism is the age of the heroine. She is way to young to have the experiences and such that the story line indicates. At 24, she would have been out of college for 2 years - barely enough time to finish the MBA online that she has. To say nothing of the amount of experience at her company.... just do the math! ( )
  LadyTi | Sep 5, 2017 |
So finally with are back with the Bowdan family (from Can’t Wait), this has been a series I have been desperate for. I will warn you though; At Wolf Ranch is hardcore from the very beginning.
Ella is in trouble, she is in danger and she can’t turn to her family…because they are the ones trying to kill her. After Ella hears her sister being murdered she abandons everything and flees for her life. She goes to the last place her family would ever think of searching for her.
Gabe Bowden is still getting over being abandoned by Stacy at the altar, not because of heartbreak though, but more pride. Now he is concentrating on building his ranch. That is until he saves a stranded Lela on the side of the road!
After nearly being attacked by a man who was supposed to be helping her (like she hasn’t suffered enough!!), she flees from the car in bad weather. Then she is saved by a man who thinks she is her sister! That’s until he sees her face on the news the next morning as a suspect in her sisters’ murder.
Now Ella has to trust a stranger to help her stay safe and to help her clear her name, all while falling in love with each other!
At Wolf Ranch is an amazing book and the story literally blows my mind. I will have to admit though; it’s not my favorite book from Jennifer Ryan. I can’t pin point why though? This is very frustrating to me. I really struggled to like Ella’s character at first, but when she hit Travis in the nuts, I knew I liked her.
Overall At Wolf Ranch is a great book, I did enjoy the story, it just didn’t grip me like all of her others, but it still earns a solid 8.5 out of 10!
  Cara_Ross | Aug 16, 2016 |
Loved Loved Loved it!! This is another great story that basically continues the Hunted series. In this book we meet Gabe Bowden (brother of Caleb)he has settled down in Montana and is seeing his dream come true as he prepares to buy Wolf Ranch. Driving home one freezing snowy night he finds Ella Wolf collapsed in the middle of the road. Little did he know his whole world would change with this discovery.

This is a great story and a book everyone who loves hot cowboys will want on their must read list. I highly recommend it. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |

Ella Wolf is on the run. After the murder of her twin sister at the hand of the uncle they both trusted, Ella knows she's next — she just doesn't know why. Desperate to find the evidence that will save her life and put her uncle away, Ella retraces her sisters last few days, finding herself headed for the family ranch in Montana. But an ill-timed snow storm and an ill-mannered truck driver leave her nearly frozen on a deserted country road — until she's picked up by a local rancher.

The Verdict: Wow. Absolutely loved this book!

Twins Ella and Lela lost both their parents when they were just kids, and since then they've been raised by their emotionally distant uncle. But just shy of their 25th birthday, they're about to inherit the company they've been working and studying for their whole lives. Until a phone call changes everything.

Lela's last phone call leads Ella to witness her murder and sends Ella running for her life from her traitorous uncle and the crooked cops he has in his pocket. She heads back to the family ranch, one of the last places her sister visited before her death, determined follow the vague clues Lela left behind and make sure justice is served. When she's stranded and nearly frozen on a deserted road, it looks like it's all over, but then she's spotted in the headlights of a passing truck.

Gabe's not sure what Lela's doing back or why she's out in a deadly storm or what's different about her eyes, but he knows the woman is injured and needs his help. He gets her warm and checked out by doctor and then takes her back to his small ranch to wait for the storm to clear. Only she's not Lela; she's Ella. And according to the news, she's wanted back in New York for questioning in her sister's murder.

Ella's portrayed by the media as a partying socialite, but really she's the practical one who can be comfortable just about anywhere. She's absolutely devastated by the loss of her sister, but for now she's running scared, desperate to find the evidence to prove her uncle is guilty, and afraid to trust anyone. But it soon becomes clear that Gabe is a victim, too, scammed out of his life savings and a huge loan when her uncle forged papers to sell him Wolf Ranch.

Gabe's definitely troubled by the loss of all his money and the ranch he thought he'd bought, but his immediate concern is the safety of the woman he's hiding. The more time they spend together, the closer they become, and the more they uncover about her uncle, the more they realize just deep their trouble is. Despite Ella's wealth and privilege, she's easy to understand and relate to; she's simply a woman who loves her sister and wants to be safe again. And Gabe… Well, he might just be every woman's dream. He's drawn to Ella, even though he's certain she's not cut out for life on a ranch instead of in the glow of the big city she's used to, but no matter how hard he tries to distance himself, he can't let her go.

At Wolf Ranch is a thrilling read, filled with mystery, action, and incredible chemistry between Ella and Gabe. The romance and suspense are perfectly balanced to appeal to readers of both genres, and while the evil uncle may be a bit over-the-top, he certainly personified criminal delusion. If you like your cowboys hot and your mysteries complex, give this one a read.

***FicCentral received this book from Harper Collins (via Edelweiss) for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
I liked this book. It did have a nice feel of a working ranch and a real cowboy in Gabe. Ella was alright. She was sweet but she did not fully capture my attention. In fact, I found the overall story to be just middle of the road alright. Nothing that really stood out as great, however a sweet read. Gabe is the type of protector that I would want if I was ever in trouble like Ella. He is strong and caring. The chemistry between him and Ella was real. Not the kind of chemistry that would fog up your glasses but still the same real. This is important. When this book is all done I can only remember bits and pieces of it. Thus the reason it was middle of the road for me. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 17, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062334891, Mass Market Paperback)

Everything's bigger in Big Sky country, including the hearts of the Montana Men

Ella Wolf rushes to her family's abandoned Montana ranch after her twin sister is murdered. She knows she's next…unless she can uncover a secret hidden somewhere at Wolf Ranch. The last thing Ella expects is to be rescued by a rugged rancher with his own agenda. A man who almost makes her forget how dangerous love can be…

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:15 -0400)

After years on the rodeo circuit, Gabe Bowden wants nothing more than land of his own and a woman who will claim his heart for more than one night. When he has the chance to buy the enormous Wolf Ranch spread, he snaps up the incredible deal. Everything is set, until Gabe rescues a woman on the deserted, snowy road leading to the property, and the half-frozen beauty changes everything. Ella Wolf rushes to her family's abandoned Montana ranch after her twin sister is murdered. She knows she's next, unless she can uncover a secret hidden somewhere at Wolf Ranch. The last thing Ella expects is to be rescued by a rugged rancher with his own agenda. A man who almost makes her forget how dangerous love can be. As an unlikely partnership sparks into something so much more, and a killer closes in, can Ella and Gabe learn to trust one another before it's too late?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,422,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible