When It's Right by Jennifer Ryan

When It's Right

by Jennifer Ryan

Series: Montana Men [J Ryan] (Mar 2015 - book 2)

Loved this story! Starts out with full on excitement and gets better from there. Jennifer Ryan has definitely become one of my must read authors.

In this book Gillian Tucker finds herself in a ton of trouble. No home, no job, hurt, and the only way to keep her little brother out of foster care is to move to Montana to live with the Grandparents she has never met.

Blake Bowden is blown away by the strength and bravery of the young woman who shows up on Three Peaks Ranch. Since she is his co-owner's granddaughter she should be strictly off limits but the draw to her is undeniable.

If you love rugged overprotective cowboys and strong women, this book is for you! I highly recommend it. ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |

Gillian has spent her life barely getting by, just trying to protect her little brother Justin from their violent, drug-addicted father. So when she has to pull the trigger to save them both, the last thing she's prepared for is an invitation from her grandfather to live a better life on his ranch, surrounded by the kind of family she's always dreamed of. Slow to trust, Gillian finds herself with no other option, and she apprehensively begins to settle into a life without fear and violence. What she didn't count on, though, was the sexy, patient cowboy who is willing to do anything to keep her safe and happy.

But... The character of Ken was not only unnecessary but also detracted from the story. Too often, romances resort to these two-dimensional, would-be rapists to add drama where it's lacking or, as in this case, where it's not even needed. There was simply no point to his part. Gillian's past was plenty to overcome, and Blake proved himself time and time again. Ken served merely as an unneeded threat, and resolving his role didn't do anything to further the plot. Without him, the story would have been perfect, and I don't understand why the editor didn't nix him at first read.

The Verdict: While I'm not too thrilled with the fact that Ken even exists, I have to say I'm still in love with this series.

Gillian is a tough girl, having survived a lifetime of fear and abuse at the hands of her father. She's been doing odd jobs since she was fourteen to make sure her baby brother Justin has enough to eat and a roof over his head, but until one awful incident changes everything, she's been unable to secure their escape to a better life. Her final moments with her father leave him dead and her severely injured, and if she doesn't have help, she's going to lose Justin to the foster care system.

Bud's always wondered what became of his granddaughter, but she disappeared years ago with her father, leaving only her mother's ashes behind. A fortunate twist of fate has Bud seeing news about the girl who killed her father in self-defense, and he immediately reaches out to help his long lost granddaughter. Gillian is, of course, reluctant. She knows nothing about her estranged family, and she's wary of walking Justin into a situation even half as dangerous as the one in which they lived for so long. But she's facing eviction and fees for property damage, is too injured to work, and has no choice but to take a chance on the man who leaves money with a simple note, Please come home.

Everything about Gillian's reclaimed family was wonderful. Bud's a gruff old cowboy, but it's clear he loves his granddaughter, and Dee is simply amazing. They're shocked to meet Justin, a boy they didn't even know existed, but they welcome him just as easily as if they'd raised him themselves. The awful life that Justin and Gillian have lived is apparent, though, in their interactions with everyone around them, and while it's heartbreaking to witness, it's certainly understandable.

Blake is just wonderful, too. He immediately feels protective of them both and vow to make sure they are always protected and safe as they start their lives over. He's attracted to Gillian from the start, but he's not foolish enough to try anything except being a friend, and it's clear his every word and move revolves around making sure they're both comfortable and happy.

I thought the subject of abuse and recovery was handled really well throughout the story. Both Gillian and Justin were understandably affected by everything they'd been through, but it was made more their past than their present, and the book didn't gratuitously throw in unnecessarily hard-to-read details. It was also made clear that despite their past and their general wariness of pretty much everyone, they weren't really broken, and they both desperately wanted something more for themselves.

The romance that bloomed between Blake and Gillian was slow to develop, with good reason, but once it really sparked, they were on fire. It was great to see Gillian open up and let go of her fear — and finally get a chance to live the life she always wanted. Blake's patience and consideration for her was admirable, and I loved the way Justin still had a central role in everything about their lives. In a pretty big way, it was Blake's attention to and care for Justin that really revealed to Gillian just how worthy of a man he was, and it made any declarations from him that much more believable.

When It's Right is quite a bit different from the first book in the series, At Wolf Ranch, but it's no less entertaining. In this one, we get to see a lot more secondary characters, and they all (except that damned Ken) add something integral to the story. From Dee to Jeff to Uncle Lumpy, they add a great extra dimension to the story and keep Gillian and Blake from existing in an unrealistic bubble. Despite the initial dark premise, When It's Right is a story about new beginnings, romance, and hope for a brighter future, so if you love your romance with a big dose of awesomely ever after, this is the book.

***FicCentral received this book from Harper Collins (via Edelweiss) for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
After reading the first book, At Wolf Ranch, I thought I would read the second book. It was alright. Even though I liked Blake way better than Gabe, I was not digging the storyline as much as the first book. I tried several times to get into this book but could not. I would start and stop again. Finally found myself jumping ahead to the middle for a bit and then the end just to see how the story went. Which I did get an good idea of the whole story even reading it this way. I gathered that Blake and Gillian shared good chemistry. It was because Gillian was off limits to Blake so the closer they got to each other the build up grew more intense. Understandably with all that Gillian went through in an abusive relationship I could see where she was coming from being so guarded but when Blake proved time and time again that he was not like other guys and could be trusted, I grew tried of Gillian keeping Blake at a distance. Plus, she was not as strong as Ella from the first book. ( )
  Cherylk | Jun 19, 2015 |
Summary
Gillian Tucker, has suffered abuse and protecting her little brother at all costs from her father. But while protecting her brother from their fathers rages, she is forced to shoot him to save their lives. When her grandfather hears about the situation, he offers her a home, and since they have no other place to go, she realizes that she has no choice if she wants to keep her brother out of foster care. So injured, they both head to Montana to the Three Peaks Ranch. Blake, is the co-owner and foreman for the Three Peaks Ranch. When he meets Gillian, he is drawn to her determination and strength. But she is vulnerable and is determined to show her that there are some men that have honor. Gillian doesn’t trust Blake or her grandfather, but soon she sees that they are nothing like her father, and soon she starts to find a place at the Ranch, and finding a passion in helping horses who have been abused. But will she let Blake love her as he wants to…

The Hero
Blake is one of the Bowden brothers, he once fell in love but she broke his heart, and has never trusted another woman since…but then he meets Gillian and he desires to prove himself to her. Blake is a simply wonderful hero, he is strong yet tender, a man of hard work and passion, He was such a sweet hearted man who I fell for from the beginning. I love the way he was with Gillian, and how he treats her. He doesn’t pity her, but admires her for her inner strength of all the abuse she has had to suffer.

The Heroine
Gillian has never known love or affection from her parents. All she has known is abuse and has had to find her own way to protect and provide for herself. Then when her brother was born, she has done everything to protect him at all costs…even to herself. Gillian…oh my heart went out to her. She was such an endearing heroine, and she has gone through hell, and still has spunk and is a fighter. She has gumption and I just admired that. I loved seeing her become stronger and opening her heart to love and a real intimate relationship.

Plot and Story Line
When Its Right is the second book in the Montana Men series. This story was just as intense and emotionally driven as the first book was. It was a bit different, and deals with issues of abuse. The focus of the story is centered on Gillian and seeing her growth as a character. The romance does develop pretty quickly, there were a couple of moments it felt a bit rushed, but as I look at the story…not really. I really liked Blake and Gillian as a couple. We don’t see much focus on Blake as much as Gillian…which I would have loved seeing more. We see how much that these two need each other. I loved having Justin (Gillian’s brother) play a part in the story. He was charming and so adorable. I loved his blunt honesty and how he adds some depth to the story. What I loved most about When Its Right is seeing these two come together, and seeing the focus of overcoming past struggles of abuse. It definitely had a vividly real tone to the story that touches your heart. This is a story that isn’t for the faint hearted. A love story of overcoming the painful past to embrace a good future.

Cover
It’s a simple cover…but what a cover. Where can I find a simply cowboy like him?? He is sexy with just jeans and a t shirt…but he fills it out well.

Overall View
A tender and charming western romance, a love story of passion and how true love can heal the deepest of wounds. If you like a stimulating country romance…this one is for you. A western gem!! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 8, 2015 |

Jennifer Ryanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Marlo, ColeenReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
HarperAudioPublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006233493X, Mass Market Paperback)

Everything's bigger in Big Sky country, including the hearts of the Montana Men

Wide open sky, rolling green hills . . . Gillian Tucker could get used to life in the country—one far from the violence she left behind in San Francisco. Warily accepting an invitation to the Montana ranch that belongs to her grandfather, a man she's never met, Gillian hopes this is the haven she seeks. A sexy, overbearing cowboy who shines a light on her well-hidden dreams is not at all part of her plans.

Blake Bowden's reckless past is far behind him, and as a newly named co-owner of Three Peaks Ranch, he's not taking any chances. Until a beautiful, haunted woman arrives, igniting a desire he shouldn't feel. His partner's granddaughter is strictly off limits. But the longer Gillian's there, the stronger the pull grows between them. And when a new danger surfaces, Blake will do anything to keep her safe…even if it means risking everything for her heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:23 -0400)

"Wide open sky, rolling green hills... Gillian Tucker could get used to life in the country--one far from the violence she left behind in San Francisco. Warily accepting an invitation to the Montana ranch that belongs to her grandfather, a man she's never met, Gillian hopes this is the haven she seeks. A sexy, overbearing cowboy who shines a light on her well-hidden dreams is not at all part of her plans. Blake Bowden's reckless past is far behind him, and as a newly named co-owner of Three Peaks Ranch, he's not taking any chances. Until a beautiful, haunted woman arrives, igniting a desire he shouldn't feel. His partner's granddaughter is strictly off limits. But the longer Gillian's there, the stronger the pull grows between them. And when a new danger surfaces, Blake will do anything to keep her safe...even if it means risking everything for her heart."-- From back cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,825 books! | Top bar: Always visible