Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time…

Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to…

by Alex Gabriel

Hmm, this certainly is a strange position to find myself in. I read and enjoyed a book involving two gay men, with several erotic graphic scenes of sex. Technically one of the men is apparently theoretically bisexual, though I am unsure if he has gone beyond the occasional attempt to include women in his masturbation scenes; and the other, in one scene, casually mentioned something like ‘if it had been Sophie on this date’, which may or may not indicate that he also is bisexual (though none of his ‘companions’, aka hookers/escorts, on his pre-approved list are women). So this might be more two bisexual men. Doesn’t tremendously matter since neither are shown in scenes involving dating, and/or otherwise in a sexual relationship with a woman.

Why is all the above me in a strange position? I haven’t had much luck with M/M romances. As in a romance between two men. I have 28 books on my Gay shelf, though only 25 have been read. And not all of those are romances.

Let me see . . . the Anne Rice book more had homoerotic tension than openly gay characters/etc. The Roma Sub Rosa books involved a gay son. That takes care of four of them. I’m not going to go book by book, let me just dive straight to the important things – 1) main characters being gay; 2) graphic sex. 8 of the books involve main characters being gay men (overall average rating of 3.25 out of 5 stars). 5 of those 8 involve graphic descriptions of male on male sex (3.0 overall rating; though it had been an overall rating of 2.5 before I read this book here).

Wait, let me go back. Of those five, how many of them have been romances? Three of these books are male/male romances. With an overall rating of 3.33. Bah, whatever, I’ve spent too much time babbling to myself.

This rather humorous book involves the son of a super villain, who, accidentally gets into a relationship with a superhero. Pat West, son of . . . um . . I know the name; I just don’t know how to spell it. Serpteaniousalsdkjfalsdfj. Dread Serpent. And the superhero is billionaire Nick Andersen, aka Silver Paladin.

Pat’s family want Pat to enter the ‘challenger’ business (the people on ‘that’ side call themselves challengers and minions; the people on the ‘other’ side call challengers – villains and supervillians; but then again, the challengers/minions, etc. call heroes hoagies. Yeah, I don’t get why they get called sandwiches, but whatever). There’s still a tug, a pull, from them but they have mostly accepted that Pat doesn’t want to enter that life and would rather became a city planner. That’s what he is at college to learn.

Despite his serious desire to learn, Pat is one of those people who always seem to be giggling and finding it hard to act serious. Much rather wear jeans and t-shirts of his favorite bands, and or ‘challengers’, than anything more fancy. Is, mostly, unable to keep his mouth shut and/or keep from babbling. As mentioned, he’s in college, and on the swim team – so is in shape.

Nick Andersen is a billionaire who is a very stiff, formal type. Not exactly one who is given to fits of giggles. Apparently in fantastic shape. Lives in something of an ivory tower (metaphor, not actuality), in that he doesn’t realize that his pizza isn’t actually delivery (5 star chefs make it in his kitchen), and in that he doesn’t feel very comfortable interacting with random strangers. He also likes using ‘companions’, aka escorts, for his sexual relief.

Pat, while at college, makes some extra money as the night manager at Nick’s house. As in, if an order for pizza, or the like, is sent down, Pat throws it together and sends it up. Well, one night he gets an order he doesn’t specifically understand. It was something like “yeah, send a guy up”. Being that he is a guy, and he has no clue what Nick is asking for, Pat goes up. Whereupon a scene of miscommunication and misunderstanding unfolds and the two men end up in bed together. Pat thinking he’s the luckiest guy on earth (well, something like that), while Nick’s thinking he’s with a ‘companion’. Someone he is paying for sex.

It’s a weird little world that’s been developed for this book. There are these superheroes and supervillians (challengers). Every once in a while a challenger will zoom in and start demanding stuff and or attempting to take over stuff. Heroes rush in and ‘stop’ them. Quite melodramatic and stuff these hero and villain fights. And while the heroes end up ‘triumphing’ over the challengers, the challengers never actually seem to get permanently stopped. As I said, it’s a weird little world that’s been created here. Interesting, somewhat vague, and weird.

In terms of the adult side of things, the graphic depictions of sex – well, I’m not exactly the person to ‘ask’ about that. I don’t exactly ‘get anything’ from reading descriptions of graphic sex involving men, so the best I can do is say that everything seemed quite entertaining to read, for the most part, and there appeared to be both humor and eroticism involved.

I was thinking, while reading the book, that the whole thing seemed outside my normal reading wheelhouse. I do not normally read fiction involving a romance between two gay (and/or bisexual men whose bisexual nature is more a possibility than confirmed) men. And as much as I like humor fiction books, I so rarely seem to actually find and read them. Prose superhero books are also somewhat off my normal path, though I have read them, and the book right before this one was one as well. Though stating that makes it seem more common that it actually is.

All that, in the prior paragraph, to say that I have no clue who I’d recommend to book to, or if I should. Though I rather enjoyed the book. I mean, it is the highest rated book I’ve read that involved two men graphically screwing each other. Or, for that matter, just involving gay men as main characters. ( )
  Lexxi | Oct 21, 2015 |
I have to admit that, considering this is not the first time I read a novel with superheroes and villains all living together in a somewhere in the future city not so distant from our own universe, I'm starting to feel like I'm missing a big piece of cultural background... is this scenario part of some literary universe? is it a sci-fi subgenre or maybe a classical fiction I'm not aware of?

In any case, in this novel, Alex Gabriel approaches the usually light tone with even an heavier push on the hilarious button, and, while dealing with villains trying to conquer the world, instead of being scared, it seems like the mere civilians were amused. I think that no alive being was affected, and only some building took the brush of the villains' actions.

And indeed Pat, one of our heroes, is the son of a villain (female), and his three sisters are as well. Pat is not cut for the villain life, and he prefers to be an architectural student, while working part-time as house manager of a superhero, Nicholas. But Pat is a night house manager and interacts with Nicholas through an AI which is managing the whole house, so they never met, until the night Nicholas asks for a rent boy, and Pat, who didn't understand the request, reply by person... and well, you can imagine what happens next.

The story is a mix of naughty and funny; but even when dealing with sex, while explicit, the author always maintains the humor sublayer, so that, the whole experience of reading this story is a light one, nice, funny, comfortable, happy.

elisa.rolle | Jan 31, 2015 |

Being related to a supervillain isn’t a big deal to Pat West. So what if his mom occasionally tries to take over the world? All Pat wants is to finish university and become an urban designer. That he moonlights as an evil minion sometimes – that’s just a family tradition.

Then Pat accidentally sleeps with superhero Silver Paladin, otherwise known as reclusive billionaire Nick Andersen. It’s a simple misunderstanding. Pat never means to impersonate a prostitute, honest. But soon Pat is in way over his head, and threatening to fall for the worst possible guy.

When Pat’s mother returns to bring the world to its knees, Silver Paladin races to stop her… and all of Pat’s secrets threaten to blow up in his face. How can Pat reconcile being a minion with wanting a hero? Will Nick’s feelings for Pat overcome what keeps them apart? Or will they both lose everything?

“Love for the Cold-Blooded” is a light-hearted jaunt through a world of superheroes and villains, android dolphins, mind control rays, eldritch artifacts stolen from the tombs of ancient gods, and young men loving not wisely, but well.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,562,622 books! | Top bar: Always visible