Strength & Courage (Night Horde SoCal, #1)…

Strength & Courage (Night Horde SoCal, #1)

by Susan Fanetti

Strength & Courage (The Night Horde SoCal #1) by Susan Fanetti is written with passion, honesty, and just the way the author wants it. It’s for those reasons that I enjoy Susan’s MC stories so much; it’s not often that an author writing in a popular genre doesn't succumb to the general pressure of the marketplace and just churn out cookie cutter books that follow trendy patterns. Susan’s MC books are unique, gritty, dark, dangerous, romantic, solidly written and have strong female leads.

The following may contain spoilers

Strength & Courage is a spin-off of the Signal Bend series, but stands on its own and can be read without reading the previous series, although having an understanding of the Signal Bend series will enhance this series. The tone and feeling of Strength & Courage is totally different than that of Signal Bend, I found the Night Horde SoCal to be less rowdy, a much smaller group, and still tied to the “outlaw” MC group mentality.

• I really liked the name Sidonie, uncommon, yet easy to shorten to Sid
• I really liked the tie to a bi-racial lead character, and the mix of Indian and French is also uncommon in this genre
• I did wish there had been more inclusion of some of the influences, beliefs, & traditions, that helped make Sid the character she was. She obviously had broken away from a traditional Indian female role.
• I liked that Sid was a strong female lead, she stands up for herself, and her principles. Her character is not easily swayed, doesn’t go with the flow, nor does she compromise her principles just to belong or fit in. She’s older, educated, employed, and not a naïve TSTL female
• I liked Muse as a character as well; he sounds gruff and tough, but is an emotional, caring, considerate, not afraid to show his feelings, but is also capable of carrying out some violent acts.
• The relationship between Muse and his sister is touching. the sisters death scene is awful, IMO she must have suffered, with that high temperature, and organ failure – thank goodness it was not a long and drawn out scene. It reinforces Muse as a caring and loving person.
• The relationship between Muse and Cliff is heartwarming.
• I was surprised at the Horde SoCal’s decision to get involved with Ferguson and the cartel
• I was glad that the Night Horde Missouri didn’t get involved with the cartel business
• I was happy to see the cameo of Show, Nolan & Double A
• Demon’s storyline is just beginning, and will be expanded in the next book

I felt the book was well written, and a nice introduction to a new series.

One of my favorite quotes:

I want to take care of each other. I don’t want to be your property, Muse. I want what we have to be ours, not yours.”

Fanetti, Susan (2015-01-31). Strength & Courage (The Night Horde SoCal Book 1) (Kindle Locations 4680-4681). . Kindle Edition.

kerbytejas | Mar 25, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,758,855 books! | Top bar: Always visible