Interstellar Cinderella by Deborah Underwood

Interstellar Cinderella

by Deborah Underwood, Meg Hunt (Illustrator)

Cinder Edna by Ellen Jackson (2wonderY)
    2wonderY: These books share a capable, no nonsense heroine who is appreciated for her abilities.

Underwood, D., & Hunt, M. (2015). Interstellar Cinderella. San Francisco, CA: Chronicle Books.

Interstellar Cinderella is a wonderful, creative retelling of Cinderella. This time Cinderella is a space mechanic and after being stranded on a planet by her stepmother and stepsisters, gets aid from her fairy godrobot, and comes to the prince's aid to fix his spaceship.

All of the characters are pretty flat, except for Cinderella who fixes all types of machines when her stepmother is sleeping.

The plot is interesting and unique and has a logical buildup and conclusion. Instead of the prince showing up with a piece of clothing for Cinderella to try on, he has her sonic socket wrench and a broken down ship that needs to be fixed. Only the talented Cinderella can repair it and afterwards when he asks her to marry him, she turns him down in order to be his mechanic.

The setting of space is very interesting and is shown through the beautiful illustrations of Meg Hunt. All of the characters are drawn in a unique way.

The theme of the story resembles the story of Ninja-rella of independent heroines aiding the prince and then deciding to use their skills to succeed in life without marriage.

This book would be good for readers who love unique re-tellings of classic fairytales and who love space. Once these readers have moved on to YA, they would love the Lunar Chronicles which features a mechanic Cinderella in a futuristic space reality. ( )
  KellyHedine | Jun 13, 2017 |
I absolutely ADORED this book. Everything, from the cover to the story, to the art, is just absolute magic. My favorite aspects of this book remain the cover art (I am a huge fan of cover art) and the overall narrative of the book. The cover immediately catches your eye. The raised titling font, along with the fact it is done in this sort of glittery, starlight material, immediately gives you that magical fantasy feel. The character, Cinderella, is drawn to showcase her desired profession: a space mechanic. You see her holding a drill, while a robot mouse watches closely. It is a cover that catches your eye, which is one of my favorite things in this world.
The second aspect that I absolutely love is the spin on the classic fairytale it gives. No longer is it about Cinderella not having a dress, but a working spaceship--as all aspects of the story are built on Cinderella's desire to be the best space mechanic ever. In fact, when she meets the prince, it is to help fix his ship, and she leaves a socket wrench behind! However, the most clever aspect of the book is that Cinderella tells the Prince she's too young to marry, but she would gladly be his mechanic--a sort of realistic ending to the fairytale, outside of the setting of space.
The message of this book is very apparent: follow your goals, and don't let anything--love, gender, family--hold you back from achieving those goals. We see a main character girl in a position of being skilled in what is arguably a STEM related field, and make the choice to keep pursuing that dream, regardless of all obstacles. ( )
  StephKiefer | Apr 18, 2017 |
I like this story for two reasons. The first is the fact that the story is a twist on the classic tale of Cinderella. I like spin-offs of classic stories, and this one was particularly interesting. Cinderella lives in space and is very fond of mechanics. She goes to the royal ball, fixes the prince's rocket, and is then found by the prince after the ball. The ending of this book is my second reason for liking it. Instead of marrying the prince, Cinderella decides to be his friend and mechanic instead. Cinderella breaks the stereotypical gender roles of falling in love, marrying the prince, and doing typical "girl" things. ( )
  AlexisBadovski | Apr 17, 2017 |
I liked this book for many reasons. The first reason is because of the awesome space illustrations. The illustrations are very elaborate and have lots of colors making them a perfect match with the text. Secondly, I liked the plot of the book and how it takes on the fairy tale of “Cinderella” with a space twist. For example, Cinderella is not some hopeless girl but a mechanic who dreams of fixing fancy space ships. I enjoyed how they changed the ending as well. Instead of marrying the prince and becoming a princess and living happily ever after she decides she's too young to be married but will be the prince’s chief mechanic. The big message of the story is girl power and breaking stereotypes of women being incapable of doing “manly” things. ( )
  KelseyHernandez | Apr 17, 2017 |
I read Interstellar Cinderella by Deborah Underwood. I loved this book for many reasons! First, I loved the main character and how she was breaking gender stereotypes. She is not the typical “princess” that you read in most Cinderella stories, this modern Cinderella is independent and does not need a prince. She told the prince that she is "far too young for marriage,but will be his chief mechanic!” I think that is the best line of the book because it shows young girls that they do not need to marry a prince like other fairy tales show. Another reason I love this book is for the message. The message is that girls can be or do anything they want. This Cinderella is a mechanic and can fix ships, you never hear of girls being mechanics but they certainly can be if they want. It shows young females that they can do anything they want. Another thing I like about this book is the illustrations, it takes place in outer space so many of the illustrations are shiny and eye catching. The front cover of the book is so futuristic looking it will definitely intrigue any young reader. ( )
  Kelli_Via | Apr 17, 2017 |

Deborah Underwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hunt, MegIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

2016 Ladybug Book Award Nominee

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible