Stella Brings the Family by Miriam B.…

Stella Brings the Family

by Miriam B. Schiffer

Summary: Stella Brings the Family is about a little girl named Stella who has two dads- but the dads aren't the problem- the problem is that her school is throwing a Mother's Day party, and Stella doesn't know who to invite. Stella worries about it, and decides to invite her whole family. The day of the party, Stella has so much fun, and her Papa is a big success. Stella tells her teacher, Mrs. Abbott, that next time for Father's Day, she will only bring her two dads!

Personal Connection: I loved the simplicity of this story, and when Stella's friends ask her about who packs her lunch, or who kisses her boo boos, she explains that her dads do, but that they are not the problem, the celebration is the problem! I also loved that other family styles were shown in this book- one of her friends has two moms, and one friend's grandmother comes because his mother is in the army (as seen in his drawing).

Extras:
-Author personal website: http://hollycliftonbrown.co.uk/
-Author interview: http://lgbpodcast.blogspot.com/2015/05/miriam-b-schiffer-ep-152.html

Application to Teaching: I would definitely utilize this book in my classroom when talking about families, perhaps in a unit in social studies on families/communities, and to discuss the different kinds of family styles. This also made me think about celebrations that we have in school, and wonder about whether Mother's Day and Father's Day celebrations are appropriate/necessary. ( )
  alliecipolla | Jul 26, 2017 |
Personality is strengthened here with the child brings her two parents to school to feel goo about who she is great for teaching about different families and personality building, for the child. ( )
  jjohnsonIII9567 | Jun 6, 2017 |
This is a good book for children to read to know that everyone is different and everyone's family is different.
  kguirsch | Nov 29, 2016 |
I think this is a perfect book to introduce young readers to the fact that some families are different than others. When Stella's class is having a mother's day party at school, Stella becomes sad because she doesn't have a mother; she has two dads. I'm glad that Stella decides to bring both her dads to the party and not let that ruin her time. Stella has a great time at the party with the ones she loves and celebrates Father's Day! I loved how the illustrations were so colorful and had diverse characters which does a great job with the topic of diversity. Overall a really good book! ( )
  lcrosby | Apr 21, 2016 |
Stella's class is going to have a party for Mother's Day. Her classmates are all excited to attend the party with the mothers', except Stella. Stella has two fathers and is upset that she is going to be the only one at the party without a mother. She then comes up with the perfect solution, she invites her dads and other family members! Stella then has a great time at the party with the people she loves, and is excited for the party for Father's Day. What I loved about this book is how one classmate has two mothers and another has a single mother. This book showed the different types of parents people have, not just one kind. Also, the illustrations are bright and colorful with diverse characters! Overall, wonderful books that tells the readers no matter the differences, family is family. ( )
  hjaber | Apr 20, 2016 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible