Pool by Ji Hyeon Lee

I think that this book could be fun for 'read aloud' as the students might be able to caption the images themselves, getting them involved creatively. The wordlessness of this book resembles the peaceful atmosphere of being underwater. Additionally I appreciate the illustrations of the imaginary elements at the bottom of the pool, because when I was young I used to always pretend to be a mermaid. I was also worried about large sea mammals being in the pool when swimming after dark.
  airdnaxela | Jun 4, 2018 |
This story is about two shy kids who both go to the pool and how when they are together, their imagination takes them to better places.
  mapeck129 | Dec 2, 2017 |
This book was just meh. The illustrations aren't really my style, and the story is not all that unique. Also, for the life of me, I cannot figure out what is going on in the last page of this book. That drives me a little bit crazy.
I picked it up because it is a beehive book award nominee this year. I can't figure that out out either. I don't understand why this book stood out to anyone. I would love to be enlightened if anyone wants to put in their two cents. ( )
  mollypitchermary | Oct 11, 2017 |
I love the character design in "Pool." The bulky round dads, and moms in swimming caps and yelling kids and the dense pool full of people and floats and toys is so much fun to look at. everyone has great rolling eyes and huge wide open mouths that get across the loudness and chaos of a summertime public pool without any written sound at all. This busyness contrasts nicely with the large white pages containing quietly contemplative single figures, and the calm blue underwater magical world the kid protagonists encounter (with a soft furry whale!). ( )
  motorbuffalo | Jun 23, 2017 |
Pool is a wordless book with beautiful illustrations. It is about a boy who swims to the bottom of a very crowded pool and meets a girl. They discover tons of animal life at the bottom of the pool.
  HaleyCarlson | May 12, 2017 |

What happens when two shy children meet at a very crowded pool? Dive in to find out! Deceptively simple, this masterful book tells a story of quiet moments and surprising encounters, and reminds us that friendship and imagination have no bounds.

Two shy children meet at a noisy pool and dive beneath the crowd into a magical undersea land, where they explore a fantastical landscape and meet various creatures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,518,306 books! | Top bar: Always visible