A Nest Is Noisy by Dianna Hutts Aston

A Nest Is Noisy

by Dianna Hutts Aston

Other authors: Sylvia Long (Illustrator)

I was really impressed with this book. There are tons of facts about all different kinds of birds and some other animals that build nest for their young. I loved that there was the names of the specific animals in slightly smaller font under each illustration. This seems like a nice educational picture book. ( )
  AubrieSmith | Mar 31, 2017 |
Summary: This book identifies different animals and the types of nests they build. From large nests, to tiny nests, and even nests that are made underwater, it talks about how animals create them and how they use them. It shows if they lay eggs or have live births and how their nests function.
Criteria: Critique of Genre- informational books- This is a great book to use in a lesson about different animals and they types of nests they use. Very informational and educational. The illustrations make it an amazing display of art and color.
Age: primary, intermediate
Media: watercolor ( )
  hwestin | Mar 21, 2017 |
I think that this is a book best used for 2-5th classrooms. I think that it is good that the books at animals beyond birds that have nests. I like the poetic rhythm of the book, which is broken up to allow for only certain phrases to be read aloud or add the in-depth information. This one also connects with the egg is quite and continues off that book. I think that this book would be a great one to read aloud when learning about animal’s habitats. Its comparison with different animals is great so students can compare different animals needs. It also connects with animals they might see in daily life and animals they might not have experience with depending on where they live.
  kbuffum13 | Dec 4, 2016 |
discusses different aspects of different types of nests: where they are created, how they are created, the different types of birds that create them
6 books
  TUCC | Nov 14, 2016 |
I think I’ve now read all the books (to date) in this series. They are [book:An Egg Is Quiet|125422] and [book:A Seed Is Sleepy|863910] and [book:A Rock Is Lively|14553643] and [book:A Butterfly Is Patient|9676975]. I gave them all 5 stars. I liked [book:A Beetle Is Shy|25861934] a bit less but I still gave it 4 stars.

This one was a 5 star book for me. It follows the format of the other books. There are gorgeous pictures that can be enjoyed by all ages. There is a poem that runs the length of the book, and while there is advanced vocabulary I think it can be enjoyed by preschoolers. Then throughout the book there is information heavy text, for independent readers or reading aloud to 5-11 years old, and all the way up for all ages.

I’d expected this book to be about birds, but it’s about all sorts of animals that have nests or use nests, including, honeybees, fox squirrels, the cactus wren, the ruby-throated hummingbird, the American alligator, the elf owl, the African gray tree frog, the orangutan, the American flamingo, the army ant, the bluejay, the Kemp’s Ridley sea turtle, and several others.

I learned a lot. In fact, I knew little of the detailed information presented.

This is a gift worthy book, as are all the books in this series. The pictures are glorious and the information is interesting for anyone who is fascinated by nature. The illustrations and the text portions stand on their own and can both be enjoyed separately, but together they’re magic. They’re really special.

I’m hoping that there will be more books in this series. There is practically unlimited subject matter for future books, and I’m eager to read any and all that might be illustrated and written. What a talented illustrator and author team!!! ( )
  Lisa2013 | Sep 4, 2016 |

Dianna Hutts Astonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, SylviaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Introduces the world of nests, revealing the variety created by the world's birds, animals, and insects.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,417,149 books! | Top bar: Always visible