Sky Ghosts: All for One (Sky Ghosts, #1) by…

Sky Ghosts: All for One (Sky Ghosts, #1)

by Alexandra Engellmann

191537,190 (3.75)1

I will admit it, I knew I would like this book after reading the dedication. It didn’t give away the end, but it showed an acute sense of humor. There is so much to like about this book. For starters, there is no set POV for this story. For many readers the POV establishes who the main character is, tells us who we should be paying attention to. Some authors try to pass it around and too often that leads to continuity and flow issues with the story. Who wants to read a novel that sounds like it should be four different stories? That was not an issue here. Changing between the main characters was seamless and allowed the reader to take time to consider what was really going on in the story and just who the story was actually about.

I totally enjoyed the characters . There is always a chance with super powers to be cliche. The powers either corrupt a person or they are unrealistically altruistic, and in almost all cases non powered characters either become bitter or sycophantic. Not so here. The Sky Ghosts are made up of wonderfully diverse people that never seem to lose their human frailty despite being able to fly, fight to death and heal themselves like total badasses. Their “powerless” counterparts may seem a bit lost at first, but only because they are thrown into a world so unlike what they know. They all have something to offer and there is a nice balance that plays out to the end of the story. I really loved that the strong women stayed feminine and even a bit girly and that the men managed, in the end at least, to appreciate their strength along with the feminine and girly.

I liked that this story isn’t just supernatural, it isn’t just action, it isn’t just a romance. Real life doesn’t work that way and it is nice to see it reflected in fiction. It had some great twists and even when I knew what was coming I didn’t see it all, which is refreshing for me. I do have one complaint. The synopsis refers Dave and Chad as boys and going into the story based on that, I was expecting children not young men actually older than than the sisters who are fighters that an army of Sky Beasts fear.

This book had me hooked from beginning to end. It would have been a terrific page turner had there been pages to turn. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series and see how it plays out. I heartily recommend this book to everyone 8th grade and up. There is violence and some minor adult humor.[b:Sky Ghosts: All for One|25635011|Sky Ghosts All for One (Sky Ghosts, #1)|Alexandra Engellmann|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1433046664s/25635011.jpg|43450423] ( )
  Ireadwhatuwrite | Mar 23, 2016 |

Pain’s life is everything she wanted it to be: elite bodyguard by day, assassin by night, she spends her free time annoying the hell out of her cutthroat friends.

Until they show up. The two human boys who turn the life of the New York Sky Ghosts Headquarters upside down. Suddenly, they have a chance to destroy their oldest enemy, and the boys are the key. Pain would’ve been fine with all that if it weren’t her and her sister Jane who’ve been assigned to protect the annoying humans.

If the enemy gang doesn’t kill them, she might just do that herself.

Sky Ghosts is a dark-humored Urban Fantasy series for adults and young adults with a strong female lead.

Alexandra Engellmann is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,439,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible