Six Months to Get a Life by Ben Adams

Six Months to Get a Life

by Ben Adams

531,436,638 (4.67)None

At the beginning of Six Months to Get a Life I found Ben Adams’ novel a relaxed easy read, of the type you might find in a Women’s magazine, except that this story is told from the point of view of a man. A man in the middle of a mid-life crisis, his marriage is over, he is living with his parents and spending weekends looking after his sons.

Graham Hope works in a boring office, earns barely enough to fund the maintenance of his ex-wife and sons, and longs for a new relationship. Writing in the form of a diary, he decides to take a positive attitude, intending that on his 43rd birthday in exactly 6 months he will have a more interesting job, his own place to live, a social life and a good relationship with Sean and Jack.

At first we are forced to despair of Graham. He lacks confidence, relies on others and is indecisive. A blind date introduces him to “Miss Putney” but is this the promise of sexual satisfaction and companionship that he seeks? He may be forced to find another job quicker than he intended and increasing tension in his parent’s house, partly caused by his amiable but messy dog Albus, means an alternative residence is becoming urgent.

I enjoyed the fact that the novel is rooted in the present day with detailed references to last year’s football World Cup and mention of current events. Jack & Sean are charming, yet normal, boys at the outset of their teenage years. Although it is not easy to empathise with “the Ex” wife, Graham does allow us to understand her point of view. There is a delightful, very British, ironic humour running through the story.

As soon as things begin to improve for Graham, disaster strikes and he is forced to face up to his feelings and intentions for the future. The book takes a more serious turn, and I found myself reading well into the night to reach the denouement. This would make such a good TV serial but in the meantime I recommend that you read the book!
  Somerville66 | May 29, 2017 |
*I received this book for free from Story Cartel in exchange for an honest review.*

I wasn’t sure if I’d like this book, but I did. It was refreshing reading from a man’s point of view, for a change. I found the book to be fun, engaging, witty, and well-written. I read it in one sitting, as I couldn’t put it down! I kept wondering if it was non-fiction (a real diary) or a novel; it was that real to me. I could picture everything happening in the book and visualize the characters. Now I want to know what happens with Amy and her daughter – will there be a sequel? I recommend this book for men and women alike.
  sandra.k.heinzman | Apr 2, 2015 |
What I Thought:

This was a brilliant book, in so many ways. I have seen people in similar situations, where they had the life they thought they wanted, and then it all fell apart. We watch as a typical man, a typical person, falls apart and truly heads toward a midlife crisis. However, he shows strength, though it may not all be consolidated from the start. We follow him as he battles through each of his goals, some easy, some harder than we might think.

Throughout the book, we are met with comedic, stark and real insights into what he is going through, with a side of frank wise-ass remarks to give us a wee giggle. He is honest and true to what it really is like to lose everything, but on the flip-side he is brave and strong for setting himself goals and a message, to recreate a life he wants. No longer are the days when we fall apart as our life does. Now we look it in the face and tell it to P**s Off! We know what we want and we are going to get it, no matter how hard it is to get there.

I loved that this was written as a diary. It adds to the real, emotional nature of the story. I also love that the author does not hold back. We see our character's life as it truly is, through to the bare bones.

I found myself connecting with this story on so many levels. I may not be in the same situation or the same age, but an illness has shifted me into a recent mid-mid-life crisis, and after reading this, I'll be setting my own goals and keeping a diary - I can wade through the crap and recreate myself too!

No, this isn't your average self-help, fluffy, love yourself and love life, but this book is the most real version of a self-help book I have ever read. It's harsh. It's real. It's more inspiring than any other help book I've ever read. I highly recommend this book to everyone! We've all got something in our lives brining us down. This book shows you how to kick it and have a thousand chuckles doing so. I loved it. ( )
  naturalbri | Jan 31, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,059,090 books! | Top bar: Always visible