Cognac Conspiracies by Jean-Pierre Alaux
198537,190 (3.22)None

Book received from Edelweiss. Read for March Mystery Madness.

This is a book in a series of translated mysteries, they do not have to be read in order, I have had no problems keeping up while reading them piecemeal. This book takes place in France where the oenophile and main character of the book is called in by the buyer of a Cognac maker to look over the business. Of course, while he's doing that someone dies and he has to figure out how it's connected. I really enjoy these books, though they're so short they're more like novellas. I believe that they're on KU and if you enjoy cozy mysteries you should give them a try. ( )
  Diana_Long_Thomas | Mar 14, 2018 |
(Fiction, Mystery, French, Translated [by Sally Pane], Series)

This is the fifth installment in the Winemaker Detective series featuring (fictional) renowned wine expert Benjamin Cooker, set in France. The heirs to one of the oldest Cognac estates in France call in Cooker when they face a hostile takeover by foreign investors.

There is a passable mystery, but the appeal of the series is the wine and the setting, and would be particularly interesting to oenophiles, or Francophiles with an interest in wine-making.

I suspect that each entry in this series stands well alone.

I received a complimentary ecopy of Cognac Conspiracies from the publisher. This did not affect my review.

3 stars ( )
  ParadisePorch | Feb 8, 2018 |
Cognac Conspiracies is the fifth book in the Winemaker Detective Mysteries series and the first one I have read in the series. But I had no problem getting into the story, there are not many characters to keep track on and the main characters Benjamin Cooker and Virgile made an interesting duo. But I must say that I preferred Virgile as a character rather than Benjamin. At least in this book. Since this is the first book I have read about them perhaps my view will change when I read the others. But one of the reasons to why I liked Virgile was that not only do women fancy Virgile but in this book he had some problem with a man desiring him. But that is perhaps something he is used to, I don't know. But that was quite fun reading. Trying to work with women and men undressing one with their eyes was tough for poor Virgile.

But, I wish I had to get to know the characters a little more than I did in this book. A little more background. That's the drawback to reading a book in the middle of a series. On the plus side, I now have a couple of books to read.

Now about the story. It wasn't really a surprise that something was fishy about the drowning, this is a crime novel after all. Also, This isn't a thick book, so there wasn't really much time for red herrings or many suspects and that was too bad because that meant that there wasn't really a big surprise when everything was revealed at the end of the book. I wished there would have been more twists to the story because I liked the writing style and the main characters in the book.

In the end, will I say that I liked the book. It was a nice cozy mystery book and I would very much read more in the series. Especially the previous books. But I have to deduct a half star because of the lack of a more surprising ending.

2.5 stars

I received a copy from the publisher and france book tours in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |
Boring - didn't finish ( )
  amac121212 | Nov 18, 2016 |
Only read 27% of the book before becoming bored by the slow pace and lack of action. I'd hoped to find another Martin Walker and his Bruno series but was sadly disappointed. ( )
  edwardsgt | Jul 25, 2015 |

Jean-Pierre Alauxprimary authorall editionscalculated
Balen, Noëlmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Le French Book

An edition of this book was published by Le French Book.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,768,268 books! | Top bar: Always visible