No Name Lane by Howard Linskey

No Name Lane

by Howard Linskey

2017 (1) ab (1) bab (2) British mystery (1) crime (1) downoaded (1) eb (1) fiction (4) Kindle (2) tags;tags;tags (1) thriller (1) to-read (4)

There is a lot going on in this little village. Parents are scared to let their young girls out at night, as they are being abducted, only to turn up dead soon after. Detective Constable Bradshaw hasn’t been able to find any leads and has become the joke of the police force. Soon though he gets stuck on an extremely cold case—trying to figure out a murder some 50+ years old. Not an easy task as they don’t even have a name to go with the victim.

Tom Carney is a journalist who returns home to County Durham and winds up working with local reporter Helen Norton. Between the two of them, they seem to have the detective skills and contacts that the local enforcement don’t. It doesn’t take these two long at all to get on the trail of some suspicious histories and alibies.

The book started off really gripping and then seemed to slow down. There was so much going on in this book that all this information needed to be gotten across to the reader. The author filled this village up with some unusual characters and took the time in the first part of the novel to bring these people to life. By about halfway or two-thirds into the book though, when the mysteries started to click, then the pace started to pick up again and I lost myself in the intricacies of the stories and how they intertwined. It was a maze as my mind wrapped around the who, what, where and whys, but it all came together for a crazed ending that had me holding my breath with anticipation. Thank goodness I have the next book queued up to go as I’m excited to know what’s next for these detectives and reporters. ( )
  Mary.Endersbe | Mar 29, 2016 |
This is quite a good read: a workman-like procedural with interesting plot strands, at least at first, and likeable characters.

The action concerns events in a village in County Durham in 1993 and flashing back to 1936.

We are introduced to the broken DC Bradshaw, traumatised by his previous case and in no fit state to continue to work, let alone rescue his fast-fading reputation in the Durham force.

Other leads are Tom Carney, the whizzkid journalist back in his childhood home on gardening leave from a national tabloid after his big scoop becomes toxic; also cub reporter Helen Norton, just starting out on the local weekly.

Various crimes require investigation: a serial killer has been removing pre-pubescent girls from the streets; a fifteen-year-old girl has recently disappeared; a body is unearthed on land adjacent to the local primary school.

There is tension and I was inspired to read on; the denouement was not without the element of surprise. But the disparate characters and plot strands I've described remain just that, disparate. The journalists do work together and interact with the policeman, but the investigations stay stubbornly separate, resisting any attempts to unite them. This was disappointing.

The body in the field is identified pretty uncontroversially early on, and this becomes more a why- than a whodunnit (and of diminishing interest); attempts to make us think the other two cases are linked are never convincing, and both are solved by complete fluke, again a disappointment.

I would read another Howard Linskey, in the hope of discovering that he has been able to make more of his narrative techniques: will he be able to give us a novel next time, rather than just three short stories shuffled together? ( )
  jtck121166 | Feb 10, 2015 |
No Name Lane – Howard Linskey

I suppose it would be importunate to offer Real Readers just this one word as a review? But that’s really all I’d like to say.
I could add how very well written this book is and how easy it is to engage and involve oneself with the characters.
I could say how much this writer has developed since The Dead. I enjoyed that story but I never felt it was any more than a decent read. However with this competent, new novel Mr. Linskey is most definitely ‘up there’.
This has a narrative and cast worthy of McDermid.
I could opine that the multithreaded plot never gets tangled up within itself as so often happens. The interweaving of characters and events is seamless.
And I could mention that, as in so many crimes the perpetrator is known to his or her victims, a good crime novel has the perp well within the narrative and allows enough clues to see if the reader is astute enough to figure it out. And the better the book the nearer the conclusion that happens, if at all. (Can I smugly say I DID figure out whodunit!)
And I suppose I could even say how well this author constructs his characters. There is realism within the actions and reactions that you never feel has been contrived to fit the narrative.
But maybe I won’t say any of that maybe I will just say………
  shizz | Feb 1, 2015 |

No CluesYoung girls are being abducted and murdered in the North-East. Out of favour Detective Constable Ian Bradshaw struggles to find any leads - and fears that the only thing this investigation will unravel is himself.No Way OutJournalist Tom Carney is suspended by his London tabloid and returns to his home village in County Durham.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,555,888 books! | Top bar: Always visible