Magic And Macaroons by Bailey Cates

Magic And Macaroons

by Bailey Cates

I love the Magical Bakery Mystery series. And the latest story is no exception. I love the hedgewitchery aspect. Infusing their baked goods with "kitchen magic", switching ingredients based upon what properties each herb has. Its all very interesting. I was afraid that after awhile, it would be just too much, but it isn't. Even the inclusion of voodoo in this story was more like a history lesson than anything else. And the characters! I prefer a series over single stories because it feels like you are growing right along with the characters. In this installment, we find out a little more about the regulars and Katie finds the mentor that Taite says he will send her way. And poor Steve! I really like Steve. (And Declan too.) The reasons why Katie chose Declan over Steve made sense but I still like Steve just as much. And I really felt for him in this story. ( )
  Robin.D..Green | Sep 28, 2015 |
A coven of witches is meeting at Savannah’s Honeybee Bakery when a young woman stumbles in saying she needs bakery-owner Katie Lightfoot’s help with a voodoo curse, then goes unconcious. When the young woman’s uncle, a friend of Katie’s, is found dead with evidence of a voodoo connection, Katie and her friends are on the case.

Magic and Macaroons follows a familiar cozy formula, with a twist – the magic of good (for the most part) witches. Although it was interesting enough, and the writing serviceable, I didn’t find the characters or story compelling. I did enjoy learning a bit about witchcraft, but that didn’t make me want to read more.

With recipes. ( )
  NewsieQ | Sep 4, 2015 |
Read for Fun/Listened for Review (Paperback/Tantor)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 3.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: Magic and Macaroons by Bailey Cates was full of voodoo, mystery, and pretty much all the magic I have come to love about the series.

Quick Thoughts: I pretty much love this series. Katie is a great leading lady: smart, funny, and surrounded by a great cast of characters. This time out I loved that we got to touch a bit more into voodoo and learn more about Cookie. The case was a twisty one and while I figured out parts there was one little bit that I didn't. However, it is the "book club" working together that shines the most. They are at their strongest when figuring out stuff together. That end scene was fantastic!

Audio Thoughts:
Narrated By Amy Rubinate / Length: 7 hrs and 59 mins

I love Amy's narration of this series for every single person but Steve (I even like Connel's voice). I don't know what it is but it just doesn't sound manly enough for me. That being said, I love her voice for Katie and the spellbook ladies so I will continue to listen on audio. The pacing and emotions are spot on.

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Aug 19, 2015 |
Magic and Macaroons is the fifth book in the A Magical Bakery Mystery series.

I enjoy visiting Savannah, GA and stopping by to see Katie Lightfoot and her Aunt Lucy at the Honeybee Bakery where put a little “magic” into their baked goods.

Honeybee's has closed for the day, but Katie and Aunt Lucy are still there as they are having one of their frequent spellbook club meetings. Then there is a desperate knocking on the door. The young lady knocking says she needs to talk to Katie. After learning the she is talking to Katie she says that her uncle has sent her and that the gris gris, a voodoo talisman of power is missing and only a priestess queen can help. She becomes unconscious before she can give Katie a clue as to she is or who the priestess is. Katie finds the girl's purse and learns that her uncle is the police detective Frank Taite. Shortly after the EMS personnel leave to take her to the hospital, Detective Quinn stops by to let Katie know that the body of Frank Taite has been found in an old abandon building.

Katie asks for the help of the members of the spellbook club to use their different expertise in finding the priestess queen so they can have some idea who has the gris gris and where it might be before this person uses it to do more evil doings.

All the main character from the other books, along with their familiars. They are enjoyable and very believable people that you would like to have as friends.

Also, recipes are included.

Looking forward to the next book. ( )
  FredYoder | Jul 6, 2015 |
The cozy genre is seeing more and more paracozies on the market these days, and out of all those series on the list the Magical Bakery Mystery series is one of the most recognized.

I’ll be honest, books with witches and magic aren’t my go to reads. I was sent this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. I’m happy it was because I found author Bailey Cates to be a gifted writer and her words flowed smart and smooth.

I love the description of the Honeybee Bakery. I mean really, a bakery with a reading area and floor to ceiling book shelves? Who wouldn’t want to spend all their time there? They’d have to kick me out at closing time.

The characters in this were very enjoyable to read and get to know. Protagonist Katie Lightfoot was extremely likeable, as was the supporting cast of characters.

Even though the subject isn’t something I would normally read, I can’t and won’t deny this was a well written mystery filled with intrigue, and had a twist of an ending.

Fans of Ms. Cates, as well as readers who like to read about magic, are in for a bewitching time with MAGIC AND MACAROONS. I know someone who will simply adore this book and I am going to send it off to her.

Remember to check out the yummy recipes at the back of the book! ( )
  LisaKsBookReviews | Jun 23, 2015 |
"Abracadabra?" Mimsey snorted.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451467426, Mass Market Paperback)

From the New York Times bestselling author of Some Enchanted Éclair comes a tale of delicious desserts and supernatural sleuthing…

For magical baker Katie Lightfoot, the only way to beat the Savannah summer heat is to whip up some cool treats for the Honeybee Bakery’s patrons. But when a meeting of the spellbook club is interrupted by a stranger collapsing on the floor of her shop, mumbling something about a voodoo talisman, Katie drops everything to begin investigating.

Her search for answers quickly leads her into a dangerous blend of Savannah’s infamous voodoo queens, a powerful missing charm—and a deadly witch who seems to be targeting the city’s magical community. And with the case getting hotter by the second, Katie will have to work fast to track down the talisman and the killer before the timer runs out…

RECIPES INCLUDED

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:04 -0400)

"For magical baker Katie Lightfoot, the only way to beat the Savannah summer heat is to whip up some cool treats for the Honeybee Bakery's patrons. But when a meeting of the spellbook club is interrupted by a stranger collapsing on the floor of her shop, mumbling something about a voodoo talisman, Katie drops everything to begin investigating. Her search for answers quickly leads her into a dangerous blend of Savannah's infamous voodoo queens, a powerful missing charm--and a deadly witch who seems to be targeting the city's magical community. And with the case getting hotter by the second, Katie will have to work fast to track down the talisman and the killer before the timer runs out" --… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,137,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible