Wish by Matthew Cordell

Wish is a story about two parent elephants waiting and wishing for their very own baby elephant. They carry on with their lives, both secretly wishing for a baby until one day he comes. The illustrations in this book are heartwarming and eye catching. The text is simple and easy for beginners to read, containing mostly sight words. I really enjoyed the message this book gives. It teaches readers that if they are positive and patient, good things will come their way. Finally, I really like how the book personifies the elephants. It disconnects the story from any race, religion, or family type and leaves the child to use his or her imagination. ( )
  mdaly6 | Apr 11, 2017 |
This book is about an Elephant family that starts out as couple and then wish for a baby. The baby doesn't come for a long time so the couple stop making plans and building things for the baby. Then one day their are all these noises and the baby elephant arrives. The elephant couple is so excited to finally be a family. This book is a good fiction fantasy book because of the way the baby elephant arrives and elephants don't live in houses or build things.
The media used in this book was bamboo pen, India ink, and watercolor.
age primary
  RachelDeardorff | Mar 23, 2017 |
Wish is centered around two elephant parents whose one and only wish is to meet their baby. so they plan, build, journey, and wait. It takes much longer than they expect but finally their baby arrives. The parents grow and exchange over time and at first they are saddened by the fact that their child does not come when they expected it to. However they grew more and more patient and one day their baby did come.
this is a great story for families that has tried and tried and finally conceived and gave birth to a baby to show to their child. In the school setting I'm not as sure that this is the right book, just because it might confuse children about the overall meaning because it does have a bit of a more mature theme to it. ( )
  NicoleGruber | Nov 1, 2016 |
Wish is a story about two elephant parents who are wishing to have a child. The book shows them wishing, hoping, and planning for a child to come. I liked this book because it showed the importance and value that children have in their families. The elephant parents were ecstatic when their new child came to them (by boat). This could help children feel important. "And with every feeling that was ever felt, everything happens. That everything is you. That everything is us. You are here. You are here. You are HERE." I also really enjoyed this story for the illustrations. Even if the book had no words, I could infer what the story entailed. The characters were very expressive and a reader could definitely understand how they were feeling. ( )
  CassieLThompson | Oct 5, 2016 |
The first thing I liked about this book was the simple and repeating word choice, “We make plans for you. We learn. We build. We journey.” This creates predictability in the text that was comforting. The author’s choice to repeat these phrases was to create anticipation, which was exciting to experience as a reader. The second aspect I liked about this book was the point of view. It showed that this couple was together by using the first person term ‘we’. The aspect of ‘we’ untied the characters together for one common goal, which was to have a baby, “We listen, we hold on, we stay still…” Also, the point of view helped the characters develop together rather than separately. Overall, the main message is that a mother and father try hard to have a baby and once they do their lives are complete. The baby is important to them and new mothers could read this to their first baby. ( )
  KoraRea | Sep 19, 2016 |
To Julie for your boundless courage and strength and perseverance.

To Romy and to Dean for making our greatest wishes come true.

And to every mother and every father

and every would-be mother and father

who knows, has known, or will know

the joy that follows the difficulties

that come when we wish.
At first, there is us.
There is only us.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 148470875X, Hardcover)

As an elephant couple embark on a life together, thoughts of children are far away-at first. But as the desire for a child grows, so do unexpected challenges. And it's only after thwarted plans and bitter disappointment that their deepest wish miraculously comes true.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:03 -0400)

When an elephant couple decides it is time to have a child, unexpected challenges arise but, at last, the pair's deepest wish comes true.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,465,807 books! | Top bar: Always visible