The One That Got Away by Simon Wood

The One That Got Away

by Simon Wood

*Book source ~ Kindle First

A year after Zoë escapes a deranged killer leaving her friend Holli behind to die, she sees a news report about a woman murdered in a similar fashion. She still can’t remember details from her escape due to the drugs in her system at the time, but she’s certain she can help the police in some way to catch the guy who haunts her dreams and dogs her every waking second. Dubbed the Tally Man because of the marks he puts on his victims he stalks Zoë when he sees her on television in connection with his latest victim. The one who got away is no longer lost to him. The question now is does she deserve to die for her sins (according to him) or has she changed enough for him to let her go.

This is one helluva page turner that grabbed me by the scruff of my neck from the very first page and didn’t let me go until the very end! What a ride! There are a few moments where I had to suspend all disbelief in the power of coincidence and forgive incredible stupidity, but for the most part this story is a tension-filled nail biter! Do you like seriously creepy serial killers, flawed yet strong heroines, hard-working detectives and enough suspense to give you heart palpitations? Then this is the one for you! ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jun 20, 2016 |
When Zoe awoke that fateful night, she didn’t have any recollection as to what could have happened. Her last memory was that of she and her friend Hollie traveling through Vegas, but she had no clue as to how they had wound up captive. Managing to free herself, she abandoned Hollie and ran for her life.

In the 15 months since the attack, Zoe’s life has drastically changed. Unable to forgive herself for leaving Hollie behind she decided to punish herself by dropping out of graduate school, and separating herself from family and friends. Her lonely existence is shattered when she learns of the murder of a young woman, which closely matches what happened to Hollie.

Zoe decides to work with the police to find the killer, but she doesn’t know that the killer wants to finish the work he’d begun fifteen months earlier. Zoe is in his crosshairs as she’s the only one that ever got away from him, and he won’t make the same mistake twice.

As the author leads readers on a desperate chase to discover the killer’s identity before he finds Zoe, the action-packed chapters had me completely engrossed. With each move on the killer’s part bringing him ever closer to Zoe, I couldn’t help but read faster to find out what would next happen. “The one that got away” will make readers take a closer look at their surroundings because we now know there are killers amongst us.

Highly recommended for Adult readers.

Blog link to review: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2015/11/09/the-one-that-got-away-simon-wood/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Nov 9, 2015 |
This was an early review book...... And really enjoyed this and would read more by this author ( )
  Scerasoli | Oct 7, 2015 |
The One That Got Away by Simon Wood is a 2015 Thomas & Mercer publication.

I am not sure about this, but I think this book was a “Kindle First” book I chose with my prime membership.

This is my first book by this author and I enjoyed this one well enough to go back for more.

Zoe and Holli, two girls working hard on obtaining their PHD's, decide to kick up their heels for a change, so they drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas and hoop it up for awhile. But, things go horribly awry and Zoe wakes up to Holli's screams and the horrible realization she is being held captive and whatever is happening to Holli, is going to happen to her next. But, Zoe manages to escape... however, Holli was never seen or heard from again.

A year passes, and now Zoe is a completely different person, with dreams of acquiring a PHD long forgotten. She is working as a mall cop now, is in therapy, and still showing signs of PTSD on top of what one might term “survivor's guilt”.

But, when by sheer chance, Zoe hears of a murder victim she is positive was killed by her own abductor, she begins working alongside the police to catch the guy and puts herself directly into the line of fire as a result. Will Zoe find peace or will she lose the fight the second time around?

This is a dark, graphic, tense, and fast paced thriller that will suck you in from the first chapter on. Zoe is a mess after having survived her ordeal, haunted by the death of her friend, and consumed, or maybe ravaged is a better word, by guilt. Her psychological behavior is most curious as it certainly does appear Zoe is attempting to put herself in risky situations on purpose, perhaps as a way of punishing herself for having left Holli behind.

The murders were disturbing enough, but the underlying theme that women should be “good girls” , meaning they should not go out and have fun, flirt with men, or drink, was not only picked up by the inner thoughts of our killer, but even Zoe's therapist pointed out her provocative clothing was waving an “I'm asking for it” sign. Zoe too, seemed to buy into that logic, by going out at night, alone, dressed a certain way, and having a few too many, she believed she was putting herself in harm's way, which was something she seemed to hope would happen, recreating the Vegas scenario.

Do you think if a woman goes out dressed up in sexy clothes, has a few drinks, and maybe flirts a little, that she is asking to be raped, abducted, or murdered?

The sicko killer having those thoughts was in line with the character, but I did cringe when the therapist also made this suggestion to Zoe. I understood he was pointing out certain behaviors, prompting her to examine her motives, which was a valid point. However, I did I think he was sending out the wrong message by mentioning the way she was dressed. Otherwise, the good doctor went above and beyond for his patient was the best support system Zoe had.

I had the feeling Zoe was a ticking time bomb and was quite concerned about her, but then she finds purpose by joining forces with a determined cop to stop a dangerous serial killer. From this point on, the suspense is absolutely edge of your seat. The last paragraph of chapter twelve guaranteed I would not be putting this book down until the last chapter was read.

There was only one weak area for me in the book, and that was the the killer's psychological state of mind and a full explanation of his motives were pretty much skimmed over. I would have liked more clarification or maybe a brief recap in the last chapter, just so I was sure I had picked up on all the finer points.

Otherwise, I thought this was a solid psychological thriller, quite thought provoking and chilling. If you can handle graphic violence, creepy serial killers, and edgy suspense, then this book has your name on it. ( )
  gpangel | Jun 13, 2015 |
"The One That Got Away by Simon Wood is a contemporary mystery/crime thriller, and a good one at that....I sat down intending just to read maybe the first few chapters before bed the other night, but ended up reading it straight through. Even if I'd wanted to put it down, I don't think I would have been able to sleep - every sound and shadow would have probably freaked me out too much...

...I don't know how intentional it was, but Wood has written a very feminist book, in the sense that we have a male antagonist who thinks he knows what's best for everyone else - particularly women - and goes out of his way to try and "correct" them...

...Now, it's entirely possible someone could read this book and not get any feminist subtext from it. As a feminist myself, though, it came through really clear for me whether the theme was intentional or not on the part of the author. So if for some reason feminism turns you so completely off that you've already decided not to read this, I'd strongly suggest you reconsider. It's a fast-paced page-turner of a story that had me totally engrossed from beginning to end. I also really enjoyed getting to read both from the killer's point of view as well as from Zoë's. I'm looking forward to keeping an eye out for other books by Wood."

(For full review, please visit me at Here Be Bookwyrms on Blogger) ( )
  here.be.bookwyrms | May 28, 2015 |

Graduate students Zo{EB} and Holli only mean to blow off some steam on their road trip to Las Vegas. But something goes terribly wrong on their way home, and the last time Zo{EB} sees her, Holli is in the clutches of a sadistic killer. Zo{EB} flees with her life, changed forever. A year later and still tortured with guilt, Zo{EB} latches on to a police investigation where the crime eerily resembles her own abduction. Along with a zealous detective, she retraces the steps of that fateful night in the desert, hoping that her memory will return and help them find justice for Holli. Her abductor-labeled the "Tally Man" by a fascinated media-lies in wait for Zo{EB}. For him, she is not a survivor but simply the one that got away. With an unforgettable heroine, a chillingly disturbed psychopath, and a story that moves at breakneck speed, The One That Got Away is thriller writer Simon Wood at his finest.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,743,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible