Ask the Dark by Henry Turner

Ask the Dark

by Henry Turner

I was surprised by how much I loved Henry Turner’s novel “Ask the Dark,” and its engaging hero, Billy Zeets. With a unique voice, Billy tells his own story in his own way, taking you along with him as he describes harrowing events that would thrill and chill the most courageous adult. As I read this book, I felt I was with Billy every step of the way and even though I wanted him to triumph over the dark and evil things happening in the book, I didn’t want it to end. I’m not sure if Henry Turner has more books in mind for Billy, but I certainly hope so. I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  DTChantel | Jun 12, 2017 |
Billy Zeets has found trouble before, two years before, before his mother died and he'd promised her to keep away from petty crime and his nightly roaming of the neighborhood. It's his compelling first-person voice that draws the reader in as fifteen-year-old Billy explains why he must return to his old ways. He needs to make money because his father has hit on hard times from a work injury, and foreclosure and homelessness looms for them too. Besides that, his sister, Leezie, got "in trouble" with a boy and will be a teenage mom. A fruit stand is what Billy's father thinks will help make ends meet, but they'll need startup money. So now Billy vows to himself to come up with what's needed before summer's end. During daylight hours he applies honest means, working odd jobs to earn money. When night time comes, Billy sneaks out as before, falling back to his former ways of casing the neighborhood for whatever brings cash. But boys have gone missing, and once one of the boys turns up murdered there's a sizable bounty offered for the killer's capture. And no one knows the neighborhood like Billy.

Told in the vernacular (there's a glimpse of Huck Finn in Billy) with a good bit of raw street language, in which Billy apologizes for by saying, "scuze my language" often enough, yet I did find myself doing so because Billy is a teen that's all heart. ASK THE DARK appears to be a character-driven YA book, however, it's also an action-packed damn (scuze my language) well-plotted murder mystery too. ( )
  PaperDollLady | Mar 7, 2016 |
This is the story of a young boy named Billy who lives with his disabled father and sister. They are losing their home unless they can come up with a substantial amount of money, In their town young boys are coming up missing and a body or two have been discovered. Billy takes it upon himself to both get money to pay off the family debt and buy his dad a fruit stand and at the same time solve the mystery of who is kidnapping and killing the boys. I was into it - I think this novel will really be a big hit with teenaged boys. (and girls). It is fast paced and well written. ( )
  muddyboy | Jun 30, 2015 |
A good but very dark story about a teenage boy who has a history of bad behavior trying to reform himself. Billy knows that boys in his neighborhood have been going missing, but he never expected to catch the attention of a serial killer, and all because he wants to help his father buy a fruit stand. Billy is full of good intentions, but he's not always well behaved. There's a lot of bad language and parts of the story are very dark, perhaps too dark for the intended audience. The book is well-written and Billy is a character you want to root for. The secondary characters aren't always well-drawn, but there's enough action to move the story along and make it a fast read.

Note: this review is based on an ARC from the publisher ( )
  astraplain | Jun 28, 2015 |
Maybe it’s because I lived in Los Angeles so long, but I find that filmmakers make great storytellers so I love reading their novels. The good ones have learned the art of cutting through all the superfluous stuff to get right to the heart of the story. Henry Turner’s debut novel, Ask the Dark, is a great example of that ability. It’s a novel about redemption which asks the question, “What would a teen who’s a known liar and petty criminal have to do to regain his community’s trust?” Ask the Dark is also one hell of a scary novel, which kept me up all night. Hell, if I’d put this psychological thriller down then I’d have been up all night anyway because it really got under my skin. I hesitate to say that it’s a YA novel intended for ages fourteen and up, because adults are going to get into it every bit as much as teens. Sound interesting? Read the rest of my review at http://popcornreads.com/?p=8443. ( )
  PopcornReads | Jun 11, 2015 |
Ask the Dark starts with the main character's admission that he has not always been a trust worthy character, but that his deviant behavior is what allowed him to solve the towns mysterious missing children problem. From the opening chapter you get a sense that everything is going to work out in the end of this book, but there is a strong creepy factor that makes you wonder exactly what occurred and it pulls you into the story till you know the ending for yourself.

This book had some small problem areas where I did seem to loose interest, but all in all it was a book that I enjoyed reading. No matter when I sat the book down, I always had that lingering, "I want to know what happens" feeling.

Ask the Dark will keep you up all night, and its flawed, real hero will haunt your day. I wish I’d written it.” —Michael Grant, New York Times best-selling author of Gone and BZRK

Billy Zeets has a story to tell.

About being a vandal and petty thief.

About missing boys and an elusive killer.

And about what happens if a boy who breaks all the rules is the only person who can piece together the truth.

Gripping and powerful, this masterful debut novel comes to vivid life through the unique voice of a hero as unlikely as he is unforgettable.

Ask the Dark is absolutely remarkable. Readers will line up for this one.”—Michael Cart, past president of YALSA and ALAN

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:27 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,136,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible