Templeton Gets His Wish by Greg Pizzoli

Templeton Gets His Wish

by Greg Pizzoli

This was an okay book. While I liked the message, that children should appreciate their families, I did not like how the character, Templeton, went about discovering this lesson. He wishes away his family with a magic gem and then does as many bad things as he can. I believe that children may not be as receptive to the lesson as they are to Templeton doing bad things. Although, I did appreciate the language used in the prose. It was very easy to read, yet still interesting. Children will definitely find this book to be enjoyable, I'm just unsure of the message that it sends. ( )
  CassieLThompson | Dec 15, 2016 |
I really enjoyed the book, Templeton Gets His Wish. I liked this book because of the illustrations and speech bubbles that were included throughout the book. The illustrations in this book were so detailed, they were never just what was written. For example, one page states “He did NOT clean up” and the illustrations are not just a little mess, there is his name written all over the wall, handprints, a game of hang man, food, toys from the previous page, and so much more! I also really enjoyed the speech bubbles because it gave the characters more depth. Instead of the author just writing what the parents said, the illustrator used speech bubbles. The author just wrote how the parents reacted, but the speech bubbles gave actual examples of what the parents were saying. For example, the author said “His [Templeton] mom was grumpy”, and then there was a speech bubble that said “Scrub harder, Templeton” with an illustration of Templeton taking a bath. This is great for the character development of the mother and father. I believe the message of this story is, be careful what you wish for. ( )
  CaseyKlasmeyer | Oct 18, 2016 |
Templeton the cat wished that his family would leave him alone. He was sick of his mother insisting that he bathe, of his father demanding that he clean his room, and of his little brothers always taking his toys. When he sees an advertisement for a special magic diamond that grants wishes, he decides that he has found the solution to his problems: he will wish his family away. But although it is nice to be able to do whatever he wants, whenever he chooses, he soon discovers that solitude isn't everything he hoped, and that he misses his family...

The third picture-book I have read from Greg Pizzoli, following upon The Watermelon Seed and Number One Sam, each of which feature simple texts and bright illustrations, and address common childhood experiences, Templeton Gets His Wish is an exploration of a child's desire to get his way, and his discovery that reaching a compromise with those around him is better than living alone. The artwork, as with the previous titles, is appealing, and I imagine that the younger picture-book crowd will enjoy Templeton's adventures. That said, I was disturbed to see that Templeton's actions in stealing the money in his brother's piggy-bank, in order to purchase the diamond, were never addressed again in the narrative. Although the text does tell us that Templeton "did something bad," there is no subsequent acknowledgement of wrongdoing on his part, and no restitution. If discussions of stealing were beyond the scope of the story that Pizzoli wanted to tell, I feel he should have left that plot element out. ( )
  AbigailAdams26 | May 23, 2016 |
Templeton gets lonely when he wishes his family away. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |

Templeton the cat doesn't like his parents telling him to clean up, and he "really "doesn't like when his brothers steal his toys. So, he makes a wish on a magic diamond, and his family disappears!
At first, Templeton is over the moon. He's free to lounge and play all day, and he never has to take a bath. But being alone might not always be as fun as he'd thought. Will another wish on the magic diamond get Templeton what he really wants?

"Templeton the cat makes a wish for his family to disappear, but quickly learns that being alone isn't as great as he had thought it would be"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,407,169 books! | Top bar: Always visible