Stonewall: Breaking Out in the Fight for Gay…

Stonewall: Breaking Out in the Fight for Gay Rights

by Ann Bausum

When I saw this book, I knew I wanted to read it. I knew Stonewall was important in the fight for gay fights, but that was about the extent of my knowledge. This was one of those books that made me learn and also want to know more. It included information I wanted to share with others as I read.
Well written and thoroughly documented, the book gives historical context of Stonewall Inn and the riots. It also paints a larger picture of the place of that moment into the gay rights movement and LGBT issues from the 50s to present day. ( )
  ewyatt | Mar 6, 2017 |
In depth look at the Stonewall rebellion, it appears to be well-researched work. ( )
  MichaelC.Oliveira | Sep 6, 2016 |
This is excellent text that gives a previously ignored perspective attention. Up until recently, people a part of the LGBT community were treated as pariahs and were given positive attention. Now their perspective can no longer be ignored and cast aside. This text provides insight into the oppression and cruelty doled out to LGBT people, and they perseverance to overcome these obstacles.

I featured this informational text along with Playing a Part, Boy Meets Boy, and Annie on my mind in my high school's library during turmoil in adjusting our school's policy to be more accepting of our LGBT students in order to offer intellectual support to students as well as provide and alternative perspective to the heterosexual view that is commonly found in YA novels. ( )
  MagLuCliff | Apr 15, 2016 |
I don't know what to say about this one. As an adult, I found it dull and simplistic. As an educator, the book's graphic content would prohibit me from giving it to middle grade readers and yet it's too simplistic for high schoolers. I'm really not sure who the audience for this book is supposed to be. ( )
  EmilyRokicki | Feb 26, 2016 |
This is a historical perspective on the gay rights movement, from the days when it was illegal to be gay to today. The author examines the role the riots that were started at The Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village in 1969 had on this movement and also how AIDS affected the forward momentum created there. This is a very readable book about an important event in our history. ( )
  Susan.Macura | Nov 26, 2015 |

That’s the Stonewall.
The Stonewall Inn.
Pay attention.
History walks through that door.

In 1969 being gay in the United States was a criminal offense. It meant living a closeted life or surviving on the fringes of society. People went to jail, lost jobs, and were disowned by their families for being gay. Most doctors considered homosexuality a mental illness. There were few safe havens. The Stonewall Inn, a Mafia-run, filthy, overpriced bar in New York City’s Greenwich Village, was one of them.

Police raids on gay bars happened regularly in this era. But one hot June night, when cops pounded on the door of the Stonewall, almost nothing went as planned. Tensions were high. The crowd refused to go away. Anger and frustration boiled over.

The raid became a riot.

The riot became a catalyst.

The catalyst triggered an explosive demand for gay rights.

Ann Bausum’s riveting exploration of the Stonewall Riots and the national Gay Rights movement that followed is eye-opening, unflinching, and inspiring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:38 -0400)

"A dramatic retelling of the Stonewall riots of 1969, introducing teen readers to the decades-long struggle for gay rights"--

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,562,869 books! | Top bar: Always visible