Return to Augie Hobble by Lane Smith

Return to Augie Hobble

by Lane Smith

Augie’s life is like a strange, really bad fairy tale—literally. His parents own an amusement park he works at called Fairy Tale Place which they are struggling to keep going. He is bullied at school, has failed Creative Arts and needs to redo his final project, and the girl he likes barely knows he’s alive. On top of all this, his best friend Britt dies while on vacation and he feels responsible. After all, there may have been peanuts in the cookie he gave him before he left. The graphic sections of this book are a real plus giving us even more insight into Augie’s world. This is a funny, sad, sweet, imaginative tween novel about a middle school boy struggling with his identity and life’s challenges and possibilities.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
I agree with the majority of reviewers on GR. ?I have no idea what I just read. ?áI blame me, though, not the author. ?áSo I won't rate it.
I'd love to discuss it with someone and actively figure out, chapter by chapter, (once we know the ending and can go back and look for clues), what was going on.
Is it like Metamorphosis, by Kafka? ?á.... ?áThat's another story I can't stand because I cannot understand, but that reveals to me glimpses of intense dark beauty....
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I liked the illustrations but the ghost part was dumb. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Augie's dad runs Fairy Tale Place, a run-down amusement park, which contributes to the surreal atmosphere of Augie's life. Initially, his struggles seem fairly mundane: summer school, bullies, and crushes. But as the summer progresses, things get stranger and stranger: werewolves, ghosts, and UFOs. Or are all of those things just in Augie's head? Is Augie going crazy -- or is there something more sinister at hand?

This one didn't really work for me -- it was a little too surreal and absurd. I like fantasy, and it seems like this should have been my sort of book, but it just wasn't. Another reader might enjoy it more than I did. ( )
  foggidawn | Jul 10, 2015 |
RETURN TO AUGIE HOBBLE by Lane Smith combines elements of humor, tragedy, and paranormal activity into a quirky middle grades novel.

Angie needs to do a “creative arts project” for summer school. Since he lives in an amusement park managed by his father, inspiration is everywhere in the form of fairy tale characters and theme park attractions. From comics and photography to illustrated short stories, Smith weaves in a wide range of visuals into the story. Between project ideas, Augie must deal with bullies, an amorous Cinderella, government agents, and a shocking tragedy. And, he may be turning into a werewolf.

This witty and weird work will be popular with middle grades youth familiar with the illustrations of Lane Smith. While the book is humorous, it deals with serious topics including bullies and death in a way that will appeal to children. Lane Smith’s first novel is a step above the many other books for this age that bridge fantasy and reality. While the story stands alone, it could easily be turned into a series.

To learn more about the author, go to http://www.lanesmithbooks.com.

Published by Roaring Brook Press on May 5, 2015. ( )
  eduscapes | Jun 1, 2015 |

New Mexico middle-schooler Augie Hobble grapples with adolescence, paranormal mysteries, an overdue Creative Arts project, and heartbreaking loss while working in his father's theme park, Fairy Tale Place.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,722,438 books! | Top bar: Always visible