The Dogs by Allan Stratton

The Dogs

by Allan Stratton

English (7)  Italian (1)  All (8)
Cameron and his mom have been on the run for years trying to escape his abusive father. Trying to get as far away as possible, his mother moves them to a house in the middle of a cornfield near a small town where she thinks they will be safe. While exploring the house, Cameron stumbles into the basement where he feels that someone is watching him. After he discovers eerie drawings in the basement closet, he sets out to discover who was the boy that drew them and what happened to him.

Although this book is somewhat of a ghost story, in my opinion, the central theme is about families that have gone through domestic abuse and what its aftermath may be like. While Cameron is trying to figure out what exactly happened to the previous tenants, his mother starts believing that he is going crazy and is going to turn out like his abusive father. At the same time, Cameron starts to question if his father really was abusive or if his mother has made the abuse up.
Overall, it's a good read that will have you wondering until the very end ( )
  JessicaGarcia6 | Mar 5, 2017 |
The Dogs is an entertaining, young adult psychological thriller, but it didn’t have the psychological suspense that I was expecting. I still found it to be engaging, but for different reasons.

Katherine Weaver and her son Cameron are on the run for five years trying to escape Cameron’s father. They move four times and in each home, Mrs. Weaver is convinced that they’re being watched. She’s afraid for herself and her son, so she must leave and keep them both safe. Cameron can only go by what he’s told by his mother. He has memories with his father and some of them seem abusive to him at first, but as he thinks about it, he starts to second-guess himself. He starts to think that maybe he misinterpreted everything. He wonders if it’s mother who has the problem and not his father.

Their most recent home is on an old, rundown farm that carries dark secrets. Cameron finds himself in the middle, trying to unveil the secrets that have remained hush for over fifty years. The only person who really knows what happened is Cameron’s new landlord and he’s not talking. Cameron encounters a bully at his new school and feels like an outcast. He begins to hear things that he shouldn’t, but he can’t let it go. He needs answers.

The mystery behind this story is captivating and you find yourself in the throes of Cameron’s amateur investigation. At first, I thought Cameron was a wimp, but over time, he grew into a curious teenager who faced situations that would have sent most teens running. I wasn’t really sure what to think about Katherine. At first I thought she was just a worried mother who wanted to keep her son safe, but after a while, I wondered if she was just nuts. It took about midpoint before I was fully glued to the pages and at that point, I needed to know how it ended.

There’s more to it than just “the dogs”, but I won’t ruin it for you. I will say that the dogs play a double duty and really get the job done.

I wasn’t expecting to be a little teary-eyed at the end, but I was. What can I say, I’m a sucker for a happy ending. This is definitely worth reading, so I say, go for it.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter

JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Cameron is a young teenager who is constantly on the run with his mother because his father is out to get them. The new place they move to is a peculiar farm with an interesting and spooky backstory. When Cameron begins to see things, will people believe him or just think he's crazy? ( )
  ParisBrockner | Sep 20, 2016 |
THE DOGS by Allan Stratton is a fast-paced psychological thriller that blurs reality and the paranormal world.

Cameron and his mother are constantly moving because of fears that Cameron’s abusive dad might find them. When they rent a spooky farmhouse, Cameron is haunted by a mysterious boy with secrets. Soon readers begin to wonder what’s part of Cameron’s growing imagination and what’s reality. Is Cameron sinking into madness or are his worse fears true?

Readers will be mesmerized by Stratton’s engaging writing style. This spine-chilling, young adult thriller will keep readers guessing until the very last page.

Librarians will find this murder mystery to be particularly appealing to teens who enjoy secrets, ghosts, and creepy settings. Consider a display that includes paranormal books alongside nonfiction works exploring paranormal activity. A discussion guide is available at the author’s website.

Learn about the author at http://www.allanstratton.com/.

Published by Sourcebooks Fire September 1 2015. ( )
  eduscapes | Sep 18, 2015 |
Cameron lives on edge largely because of his mom's paranoia about his dad finding them. They pick up and move in the middle of the night, and it isn't the first time this has happened. They move to an old farmhouse in a rural area where there are rumors about the house and its former inhabitants. Cameron finds an old folder in the cellar full of Jacky's disturbing pictures. When Cameron starts to see and communicate with Jacky, who seems to be a ghost, he starts digging into the troubled past of the lives of Jacky's family and this leads down a road that intersects with his own troubles.
A page turner fraught with suspenses and psychological thrills. ( )
  ewyatt | Jul 7, 2015 |

Allan Strattonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Jorna, AnneliesTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Allan Stratton is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,930,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible