Sail Upon the Land by Josa Young

Sail Upon the Land

by Josa Young

201515,329 (3.2)None

This book wasn't really what I was expecting. I think the cover art is lovely but doesn't quite fit with the story. In essence, Sail Upon the Land is the story of four generations of women. We start with Damson who is in India in 1987 where a horrible experience changes her life. Then we go back to Sarah during WWII and follow the story of the family right back full circle.

I liked this book from the beginning but by the end I loved it and didn't want it to end. It was a bit of a slow burner in that respect and the occasional feeling of disjointedness disappeared as the whole story came together with a heart-warming conclusion. The writing and the characterisations are excellent and I really cared about the characters. I've now bought this author's first book as I enjoyed this one so much.

Thank you to the publishers and Netgalley for providing a copy for review. ( )
  nicx27 | Feb 24, 2015 |

'Josa Young writes with warmth and wisdom about the complexities of motherhood in this captivating tale of four generations of women that sweeps eighty years of English history. Her eye for period detail is masterly and her characters so vivid they dance from the page and into our hearts.' RACHEL HORE

What happens when two fractured families collide in the dynamic social landscape of the last eighty years?

An accidental inheritance changes everything for an insecure young man.
The mysterious death of a new mother damages the precious continuity of family love.
And a gap-year student's misguided romance ends in life-changing disaster. Or does it?

SARAH Is the courage she displays during WWII enough to carry her through a long life of love and loss?

MELISSA Living in her own fairy tale, can she find the strength she needs to survive reality?

DAMSON Rejecting her background after suffering a hideous ordeal, will this driven young woman ever find her way home?

MELLITA Who is she really, and can she deliver the unexpected gift that will heal all their rifts?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:46 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,643,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible