Lillian's Right to Vote: A Celebration of…

Lillian's Right to Vote: A Celebration of the Voting Rights Act of 1965

by Jonah Winter

This book is about a woman named Lillian who relives her history and the past of black men and womens fight to vote. The book is good and very honest but I do not see myself reading it in a public school system. I would read it to my own kids. Informational ( )
  bjacobsen15 | Nov 5, 2017 |
Lillian's Right to Vote depicts the long, uphill journey of a 100 year old, African American woman, Lillian, as she travels to an Alabama courthouse to cast her vote. I enjoyed this book for three reasons: the historical perspective, the insight into African American struggles and the illustrations. Jonah Winter's narrative depicts Lillian recalling her family's history - from her nslaved great-great-grandparents and their baby Edmund being sold on the courthouse steps, to her enslaved great grandfather Edmund picking cotton from early morning to night and his later attempt to vote after the Fifteenth Amendment guaranteed him that right, to her grandpa Issac being charged a poll tax, to her parents being chased away from the polls and finally to Lillian's first failed attempt to vote. These recountings provide a timeline of African American history as well as insight into African American struggles. Shana Evan's mixed media illustrations beautifully capture the story with swirling color and texture. The pictures add depth to the story by depicting present day in full color, and Lillian's recollections in faded monochrome. I especially liked the last two images in the book: Lillian past meeting Lillian present, and a closeup on Lillian's elderly finger casting her vote for President Obama. ( )
  mkenne29 | Apr 23, 2017 |
I liked the picture book “Lillian’s Right To Vote” for three main reasons. The first reason that I liked this book is because it was a wonderful book about the history of voting for African-Americans. This book was about a woman named Lillian who was on her way up to vote on voting day. The book described the background of her family and all of the hardships that her ancestors faced. Lillian knew all of the barriers that stood in her ancestors way when they wanted to vote, and now that she had the opportunity to vote, she was not going to take it for granted. I was not aware of the full history of the voting rights of African-Americans, so this book taught me a great deal.

The second reason that I liked this book was because of the symbolism that was woven into the plot. As the author described the history of Lillian’s ancestors, she was walking up " a very steep hill" to vote. The hill that she was walking up symbolized the uphill battle that African-American’s faced to get where they are today. "As Lillian inches up the hill," she sees African-Americans marching, protesting, and fighting back in order to gain their right to vote. The hill that Lillian was climbing throughout the book symbolized the many hardships that African Americans faced.

Finally, the third reason that I liked this book was because of the author’s note at the end of the book. The authors note explained that this book was written “as a commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary” of the Voting Act of 1965. It also noted that a woman named Lillian Allen inspired the main character of the story, Lillian. All of the descriptions of Lillian’s life in the story were true to Lillian Allen. In all, I thought that this was a wonderful book and I am very glad that I came across it in the library. ( )
  koreil6 | Mar 12, 2017 |
In my opinion, this book is a 10 for many reasons. Lillian's Right to Vote is about an older African-American woman in present time. The story takes place on voting day; a day that is very important to Lillian. The whole story takes place over the course of this day and shows Lillian climbing the hill to get to town hall to place her vote. The hill that Lillian climbs throughout the day serves as a metaphor for the uphill battle that African-Americans had to face in order to get to where they are today; to vote. I think the author does an amazing job of depicting this story line in a creative way. Throughout this climb to town hall, historical flashbacks are documented. Lillian "sees" her great-great grandparents in the beginning facing injustice and crude treatment. The illustrator does an amazing job of portraying characters that are no longer alive by differentiating the illustration of them. The writing of this story is sequential; almost like a timeline in the format of a story. As the story progresses, Lillian is still moving up the hill. I believe that this story would be perfect to use in fourth to fifth-grade classrooms as an aide for history lessons on African-American's and the adversity they faced in the past. Overall, I think this book sends a powerful message. It informs readers of important historical milestones for African-Americans and the evolution of our country as a whole. The main character Lillian is a positive role-model. She has seen things in her lifetime that most have not. She goes to vote in honor of those that protested, fought and died for her rights. The message relates back to the huge hill she continues to climb despite any setbacks or obstacles. I think this book is important and crucial for students to read.
  scucci2 | Mar 2, 2017 |
I cannot give enough praises to this book. For one, it brings to light a tough issue that young children may never understand, which is that we fought hard to be able to have rights, and why should we be stopped from expressing them. I honestly feel that this book could have been given to adults as well because for me as a young black woman, I sometimes feel that I don't matter and that no matter what I do, my voice wont be heard. This book was an inspiration to me and could be an inspiration to many elderly voters who too feel as if they don't have a voice. I just feel that this book is one of the books that can easily slip through the cracks all fall in line with all of the other "gems" that are underrated, but should be praised for its ability to bring us through time, while also bringing us forward into what the future can hold. ( )
  lpittman | Feb 16, 2017 |

An elderly African American woman, en route to vote, remembers her family’s tumultuous voting history in this picture book publishing in time for the fiftieth anniversary of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

As Lillian, a one-hundred-year-old African American woman, makes a “long haul up a steep hill” to her polling place, she sees more than trees and sky—she sees her family’s history. She sees the passage of the Fifteenth Amendment and her great-grandfather voting for the first time. She sees her parents trying to register to vote. And she sees herself marching in a protest from Selma to Montgomery. Veteran bestselling picture-book author Jonah Winter and Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award winner Shane W. Evans vividly recall America’s battle for civil rights in this lyrical, poignant account of one woman’s fierce determination to make it up the hill and make her voice heard.

"A much-needed picture book that will enlighten a new generation about battles won and a timely call to uphold these victories in the present." —Kirkus Reviews, Starred

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jul 2015 12:35:07 -0400)

As an elderly woman, Lillian recalls that her great-great-grandparents were sold as slaves in front of a courthouse where only rich white men were allowed to vote, then the long fight that led to her right--and determination--to cast her ballot since the Voting Rights Act gave every American the right to vote.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,617,654 books! | Top bar: Always visible