After a Fashion by Jen Turano

After a Fashion

by Jen Turano

When you read a book by Jen Turano, prepare to alternately laugh and swoon. Sometimes you skip the “alternately” clause and head straight for “simultaneously”. During the course of the book, you may also find yourself holding your breath, biting your nails, flailing dramatically, and grinning. So much grinning.

With each new book of Ms. Turano’s that I read, I find myself wondering how in the world she is going to top the crazy and hilarious situations into which she thrusts her characters. And then somehow she finds a way to do just that! Harriet seems to find her fair share of hysterical antics even if she stumbles into most of them quite unwillingly. One of the scenes that had me laughing the loudest was her first… um… encounter with Miss Birmingham, which also happens to be when she meets Oliver as well. The crazy was real, y’all. And so deliciously entertaining lol. Along with the comical shenanigans, there are the more subtle bits of humor that Jen weaves throughout the book. Lucetta’s line-memorization quirks. Millie’s misuse of words. Buford. And, while not especially humorous, the twist at the end? Oh my! Never saw it coming!

Bottom Line: Long-time fans of Jen Turano’s will love After A Fashion, and first-time readers will fall in love with her style. She proves that historical fiction doesn’t have to be stuffy and creates heroes and heroines that will wrap around your heart and leave behind a grin when you turn the last page. If you love romantic comedies and/or historical fiction, this is a book you need to read!

(Disclaimer: I won a copy of this book in a giveaway for which no promise of a review was given. This is, as always, only my honest opinion.)

Read my full review here: https://readingismysuperpower.wordpress.com/2015/07/30/review-after-a-fashion-jen-turano/ ( )
  MeezCarrie | Aug 31, 2015 |
This was fantastic as always. There is always such wit and humor. Then you get romance and a little suspense. I love Harriet Peabody and Oliver Addleshaw. They work so well together. It was so much fun to read. I received a copy of this book from the author and from the Book Club Network. I so look forward to her next book. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jun 26, 2015 |

Fashion, intrigue, danger and surprises. After a Fashion will leave you breathless with anticipation.

In New York City, 1882 Mr. Oliver Addleshaw is one of the wealthiest men in the country. His goal in life is to acquire more wealth than Mr. Vanderbilt ever did. That is, until Ms. Harriett Peabody, who has a love of fashion and designing, happens across his path. When they enter into a business agreement, they have no idea the plans that God begins to unfold. As humans, we tend to think that the plans we have made are the best we will ever see in life. But, God’s plan for your life is far greater than you could ever dream of.

I cannot begin to adequately express the joy it was reading After a Fashion. Quite simply, it is one of the best books I have ever read. The style that Jen Turano uses to tell this story is unique and engaging. I had a very hard time putting the book down, which was unfortunately quite often due to the needs of my 2 kids. However, this book had me laughing, yelling and even tearing up by the time I was finished. I cannot praise this book enough! If you don’t read any other book this year, I recommend After a Fashion for certain. It is easy to read and the action never ceases. I look forward to reading Jen Turano’s previous books as well as her new release this July In Good Company.

I received a free digital edition of After a Fashion from Bethany House Publisher through NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  BookwormMama14 | Jun 15, 2015 |
Another delightful, nonstop, madcap and mayhem story by Jen Turano! Kind of a cross between the Thin Man and Cinderella, only without the murder, it's a Christian Historical Romance set in 1882 New York City.

Harriet, who is actually very talented, is currently working in a hat shop. She also redesigns cast-off clothes from the wealthy for herself, and has quite a flair. And she's beautiful. She's asked to make a delivery of hats to the home of one of the wealthiest men in America, and thus starts the story. There is never a dull moment as turn by turn of events has her agreeing to accompany Oliver to a dinner with the Duke of Westmoore. Of course none of this goes smoothly, and it's hilarious all the way through. There's also the influence of a Reverend Gilmore on both Oliver and Harriet, keeping it grounded in faith. This is such a satisfying read. If you want to lift someone's spirits, give them this book! It looks like it's the first in a series - I'm really looking forward to the next one. Isn't that a great cover?

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Baker Publishing Group, Bethany House and the Netgalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising”. http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html. ( )
  Robin.Willson | Apr 19, 2015 |
After a Fashion
Jen Turano

Book Summary: Miss Harriet Peabody dreams of the day she can open up a shop selling refashioned gowns to independent working women like herself. Unfortunately, when an errand for her millinery shop job goes sadly awry due to a difficult customer, she finds herself out of an income. Mr. Oliver Addleshaw is on the verge of his biggest business deal yet when he learns his potential partner prefers to deal with men who are settled down and wed. When Oliver witnesses his ex not-quite-fiance cause the hapless Harriet to lose her job, he tries to make it up to her by enlisting her help in making a good impression on his business partner. Harriet quickly finds her love of fashion can't make her fashionable. She'll never truly fit into Oliver's world, but just as she's ready to call off the fake relationship, fancy dinners, and elegant balls, a threat from her past forces both Oliver and Harriet to discover that love can come in the most surprising packages.

Review: I throughly enjoyed this book. I was hesitant to start this book because I truly loved Ms. Turano’s previous series and was worried that this one was so different that I was foolishly hesitant. I loved it!! Harriet was so fantastic. She went with her feelings especially when it was concerning other people! The best think to get bent out of shape at is for other people who either can’t or don’t know they need to defend themselves. Oliver was a man with weaknesses and someone willing to do the right thing many times. He was a realistic character one you love, get mad at and one you don’t know what to do with. The mystery was woven in with a subtle touch which made it more suspenseful. The suspense for how everything was going to work out was enjoyable. Aunt Jane was a dastardly character and with Silas goading her on seemed unstoppable. There was too much too enjoy and that is what will make this series a hit for me. I can’t wait for Millie’s story next! The biggest twist on this series is these women are average ordinary women or so it seems….
I would like to thank Net Galley and Bethany House for allowing me to read and review this book in return for a free copy and I was never asked to write a favorable review by anyone. ( )
  Robin661 | Apr 1, 2015 |

Miss Harriet Peabody dreams of the day she can open up a shop selling refashioned gowns to independent working women like herself. Unfortunately, when an errand for her millinery shop job goes sadly awry due to a difficult customer, she finds herself without an income.

Mr. Oliver Addleshaw is on the verge of his biggest business deal yet when he learns his potential partner prefers to deal with men who are settled down and wed. When Oliver witnesses his ex not-quite-fiancée causing the hapless Harriet to lose her job, he tries to make it up to her by enlisting her help in making a good impression on his business partner.

Harriet quickly finds her love of fashion can't make her fashionable. She'll never truly fit into Oliver's world, with its fancy dinners and elegant balls, but just as she's ready to call off the fake relationship a threat from her past forces both Oliver and Harriet to discover that love can come in the most surprising packages.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,139,274 books! | Top bar: Always visible